Atlas Ocean Voyages

jimdee3636

So excited to be booking their maiden voyage this October - Lisbon / Barbados with a chance to attend the Christening in Barbados.  Fingers crossed that the world has had a chance to become somewhat back to normal by then.  Because of the nature of this voyage it's not an expedition adventure but it will be very nice to see what this ship has to offer.  We love Regent and always enjoy small ships but the Navigator, with about 200 passengers will be a brand new experience for us.  Hope that vaccines are in arms by then and we can get back to sea.

• Like 1

Took the plunge and put deposit down for an Antarctica Discovery sailing. Excited to be on board a new ship with the Horizon balcony. I compared twelve different expedition cruises and Atlas's offering stood out. But it's going to be a long wait!

• Like 2

On 1/21/2021 at 3:59 PM, esanesel said:

So excited to be booking their maiden voyage this October - Lisbon / Barbados with a chance to attend the Christening in Barbados.  Fingers crossed that the world has had a chance to become somewhat back to normal by then.  Because of the nature of this voyage it's not an expedition adventure but it will be very nice to see what this ship has to offer.  We love Regent and always enjoy small ships but the Navigator, with about 200 passengers will be a brand new experience for us.  Hope that vaccines are in arms by then and we can get back to sea.

Welcome aboard the crossing.  Like you we are crossing our fingers as well.  Tell me more about the Christening?

Steve & Cindy

On 1/21/2021 at 6:13 PM, Tennessee Titan said:

Has anyoue seen what the laundry facilities will be?

Dress code in the dining room?

I just did a search on their site and nothing comes up about laundry facilities/services.  But, I would think that they would take care of us.

Dress code is county club casual.  No jackets required, but I still like to wear one with an open collar shirt from time to time.  

Steve & Cindy

We are Sondra & Tom who are very experienced Senior cruisers booked on the September 6, 2021 12 night Monumental Egypt & Israel cruise.  This is our first cruise with Atlas Ocean Voyages, but we have had more than a hundred cruises over the past twenty-five years, most of them when Sondra was a Guest Lecturer for Oceania, Regent, Celebrity and other cruise lines.  We are looking forward to being passengers on this cruise.  We have both just had our first vaccination for Covid and we are scheduled for the second dose in about three or four weeks, so we hope that we will be well protected from the virus by the time we travel.  

• Like 1

We too have now booked the October '21 Lisbon-Bridgetown, Barbados cruise & inauguration.  Sounds interesting, different and fun.  While we were intially told by our TA that suites included Business Class air, when we went to book we were then told no, all categories are only Economy Class.  Hmmm...  But of course we can upgrade, pay the difference and an air deviation fee of $100 p.p.  Will be checking into that shortly so we shall see how that goes.   Hoping this will indeed be special and worth it as this will be in celebration of my husband's 70th birthday.  We were also originally told that our booking included $300 SBC but again when we booked the following day it had morphed to be for pre or post cruise land programs.  Not sure what all that means nor what the "included shore excursion in each port", so I have more to learn.  

As for how many ships of this size and type can the market nich they are going for sustain, thanks to covid their timing may be spot on as there may be an increased interest in being amongst smaller numbers of pasengers.   Ship space/passenger is also being looked at much more, which is part of what we took into consideration when booking our Galapagos trip - which of course has now been cancelled and moved forward to April '22.

On a side note - speaking of new cruise lines, it will also be interesting to see what the new buyers (a VC group I was told) will do with Azamara.  I suspect we will all see a number of changes in the cruise industry ahead.  

Now I will see if a thread has been started for the Lisbon sailing.  If not I will start it.  Not that we'll have much to plan given all the at sea days which we love.  Still it is fun "to meet" fellow passengers especially as we all embark n the adventure of a new company.  Some fun we'll have!  

Mary and Greg from generally sunny AZ although it snowed here earlier this week.   Life is full of suprises.   

• Like 1

On 1/22/2021 at 10:59 PM, vicd1969 said:

Took the plunge and put deposit down for an Antarctica Discovery sailing. Excited to be on board a new ship with the Horizon balcony. I compared twelve different expedition cruises and Atlas's offering stood out. But it's going to be a long wait!

We did as well.  We are on the March 4, 2022 sailing.  I liked the fact that they took care of all of the transportation down to Argentina on a chartered plane.

We booked directly with Atlas.  I have asked some questions that I didn't see answers to.  Your mileage may vary.  Also, since it is a brand new line, I suspect some of the information may change:

• Laundry Services are included for no additional charge.
  • No Menus or Drink Menus are available yet.
  • Pre-cruise land credit is essentially for prepurchased excursions.
  • The Antarctica chartered flight leaves from Orlando, FL.
  • There are sixteen air gateways included in the air program.
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, amunhbuu said:

We booked directly with Atlas.  I have asked some questions that I didn't see answers to.  Your mileage may vary.  Also, since it is a brand new line, I suspect some of the information may change:

• Laundry Services are included for no additional charge.
  • No Menus or Drink Menus are available yet.
  • Pre-cruise land credit is essentially for prepurchased excursions.
  • The Antarctica chartered flight leaves from Orlando, FL.
  • There are sixteen air gateways included in the air program.

Thanks for asking about the laundry. That certainly would help with packing fewer items. Curious on why you selected the March sailing. If it's due to work schedule, completely understand. I heard that there will be fewer penguins around in March, though maybe more whales.

8 hours ago, vicd1969 said:

Thanks for asking about the laundry. That certainly would help with packing fewer items. Curious on why you selected the March sailing. If it's due to work schedule, completely understand. I heard that there will be fewer penguins around in March, though maybe more whales.

I am value driven.  😄  That is the short answer.

My research shows that there is plenty of wildlife and things to see in March.  We did go for the early March sailing to hedge our bets.  I do think you are correct that there are less penguins, yet more whales around.  Here is an article I came across: https://www.aurora-expeditions.com/blog/antarctica-in-march/

We went to the Galapagos two years ago this month in the rainy season, which I also believe is the slower season.  We saw so many things including the Blue Booby mating dance.  I can't regret going during that time.

I have to think that going to Antarctica is going to be amazing no matter which part of the season you will be in.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Oh my goodness- we just booked a December New Year's cruise for Antartica Discovery on ship World Navigator for our wedding anniversary!!!  This is the first cruise we've booked since our 2 cancelled cruises last year.  Lisa Wagner at Atlas was awesome and so helpful!  She gave me confidence on people requiring vaccines (including crew) - but they are still working on the details.  Love the fact that everything is included!  

Shoot me with the vaccine please!!!

Edited by Love.II.Cruise

On 2/2/2021 at 8:42 PM, amunhbuu said:

We went to the Galapagos two years ago this month in the rainy season, which I also believe is the slower season.  We saw so many things including the Blue Booby mating dance.  I can't regret going during that time.

When we booked for the Galapagos, I didn't ask about rainy season – I zeroed in on the best month for the Blue-footed Booby mating dance.  The answer was May and we saw the mating dance in spades – and had no rain!

1 hour ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

When we booked for the Galapagos, I didn't ask about rainy season – I zeroed in on the best month for the Blue-footed Booby mating dance.  The answer was May and we saw the mating dance in spades – and had no rain!

Rainy season... Though this was really the only bad day.  Many people lost electronics this day:

Edited by amunhbuu

On 12/28/2020 at 1:06 PM, jlicharson said:

There is a market for small ships that can get into smaller ports and which will not overwhelm an interesting port or destination when its passengers go ashore, either on tours or on their own.

We have hated big cruise ships since our first experiences with Cunard on the QEII and the Queen Victoria.

We cruised on Seabourne exclusively until they sold off their 200 pax ships.  We crossed the Atlantic with them, and cruised the Mediterranean and Baltic and each every cruise was special, almost magical.

We have cruised the larger Seabourne, Silversea and Regent ships several times and they were all fine. But none compared to the Spirit or Pride in terms of intimacy, ambiance and overall experience. Only Silversea in the Galapagos came close.

I look forward to more information on the experiences of others with this line. 

I am sure we are not alone in thinking it may be a way to get back to the kind of cruising we came to love..

We have enjoyed Windstar Legend, formerly Seabourn Legend, immensely. Have you ever sailed with Windstar? After 150 cruises with most other cruise lines, Windstar has become one of our favorites.

On 2/23/2021 at 7:50 PM, Host Jazzbeau said:

We saw some Bluefooted Boobies doing the mating dance as well.

Yeah, we saw some trying to attract as well.  Just no video on those.  It was so bright out when we were there for the most part.  We also saw a lot of the Magnificent Frigates doing their mating routine.  It was crazy walking through a field with all of those gigantic birds trying to attract a mate.

When we were there (May) the frigate birds were already sitting on their eggs – but the males still had their red neck pouches fully inflated.  I got a stiff neck [psychosomatically] just looking at them!

• Like 1

Booked Antarctica for Dececmber! Hard to beat the price, and the ship sounds awesome.

Here in Miami, I'm not sure I own shoes that accomodate socks. I have a lot of shopping to do! 

Boots and outer pants, I'm drawing a blank. Posted question for the March 15th Q&A.

On 2/23/2021 at 5:50 PM, Love.II.Cruise said:

Oh my goodness- we just booked a December New Year's cruise for Antartica Discovery on ship World Navigator for our wedding anniversary!!!  This is the first cruise we've booked since our 2 cancelled cruises last year.  Lisa Wagner at Atlas was awesome and so helpful!  She gave me confidence on people requiring vaccines (including crew) - but they are still working on the details.  Love the fact that everything is included!  

Shoot me with the vaccine please!!!

What did she say about the vaccine, if you don't mind my asking? Thanks for any info provided.

21 hours ago, Doclori said:

Booked Antarctica for Dececmber! Hard to beat the price, and the ship sounds awesome.

Here in Miami, I'm not sure I own shoes that accomodate socks. I have a lot of shopping to do! 

Boots and outer pants, I'm drawing a blank. Posted question for the March 15th Q&A.

Pretty sure boots will be supplied as loaners. Almost all the Antarctic ships provide them. I think outer pants can be like ski pants or something waterproof, not necessarily thick.

• Like 1

On 1/30/2021 at 10:23 AM, amunhbuu said:

We did as well.  We are on the March 4, 2022 sailing.  I liked the fact that they took care of all of the transportation down to Argentina on a chartered plane.

We also are on the March 4 sailing.  Very excited to be trying the new line.  The chartered flight is a nice way to handle transportation to Ushuaia.  We'll see you there!

• Like 1

On 3/9/2021 at 4:39 PM, myopenroad said:

What did she say about the vaccine, if you don't mind my asking? Thanks for any info provided.

She did mention that there may be challenges getting the crew vaccinated, depending on which country they are coming from.  There is still a lot up in the air, so I accepted the fact that I will have to "wait and see" what happens in the next couple months.  I'm curious as to what will be said at the Q&A on March 15th.  

Crystal is requiring all guests to be vaccinated before sailing.  I suspect this will happen with other cruise lines too.  In this article, they talk about the challenges with vaccinating crew.   https://www.luxurytraveladvisor.com/cruises/crystal-to-require-all-guests-to-be-fully-vaccinated-before-sailing