Picture-A-Week 2020 - Week 40

pierces

Pictures taken between Monday, September 28 and Sunday, October 4.

(a little late...) 

Rules: See above

That's it. This isn't a contest.

All photos taken this week are welcome (not just cruising).

Prizes will not be awarded. Discovering the joy of photography is the prize.

The idea is to get folks out using their cameras for more than vacations and toddler birthdays.

Post one. Post many. Up to you.

Have fun with your camera and share your fun with others!

On September 5th, a gender reveal stunt went awry and started a brush fire that rapidly expanded into a massive wildfire that burned for 23 days, consumed 22,680 acres, destroyed or damaged 24 structures including 9 homes. At its peak, there were 1,300 firefighters working the fire line with one losing his life in the effort to control the blaze. This photo was taken from Oak Glen Road where it winds through the mountains east of Yucaipa, CA. It is lined with homes, shops, restaurants, apple cider stands and orchards where families can pick their own apples together. The superhuman efforts of the firefighters kept the flames at bay and saved this wonderful little community from destruction. True heroes that deserve more thanks and more praise that they receive.

Too close

p4004097183-6.jpg

Dave

3 hours ago, pierces said:

On September 5th, a gender reveal stunt went awry and started a brush fire that rapidly expanded into a massive wildfire that burned for 23 days, consumed 22,680 acres, destroyed or damaged 24 structures including 9 homes. At its peak, there were 1,300 firefighters working the fire line with one losing his life in the effort to control the blaze. This photo was taken from Oak Glen Road where it winds through the mountains east of Yucaipa, CA. It is lined with homes, shops, restaurants, apple cider stands and orchards where families can pick their own apples together. The superhuman efforts of the firefighters kept the flames at bay and saved this wonderful little community from destruction. True heroes that deserve more thanks and more praise that they receive.

Too close

p4004097183-6.jpg

Dave

For some reason I do not see a picture Dave 🙁

11 hours ago, boeckli said:

For some reason I do not see a picture Dave 🙁

I accidently broke the link "fixing" something else. You'd think I'd know what I'm doing by now... 🙄

Thanks for the heads up.

p4004113106-6.jpg

Dave

• Like 2

More wetlands variety from this past weekend...the wetlands were occasionally living up to their name - as I had to shoot through several rainshowers and overcast weather and the swampy mudflats were running higher than normal due to lots of rain this past month...this time, I've got mostly things OTHER than birds, though I've included at least one bird or I'd feel like a traitor!

Alligator - looks almost like a B&W shot - but the overcast light, grey skies reflecting in the water, and dark grey reptile all conspire:

original.jpg

Pig frog hiding in the shade under some overhanging trees in the shallow water.  Look in his pupil and there's a reflection of the boardwalk rail I'm standing on, with me dead center taking the shot:

original.jpg

Water snake working its way over the algae waters:

original.jpg

A big softshell turtle having a rest on a partially submerged palm tree trunk:

original.jpg

Closeup of the slippery five-lined skink, with its distinctive blue tail:

original.jpg

Cute little pied-billed grebe:

original.jpg

Juvenile raccoon eating palm seeds and fruits:

original.jpg

• Like 6