Dreaming of a ''World Cruise'' I may be insane what do you think.

dolittle

So I am dreaming of taking a world cruise ( and I do mean dreaming)so I look them up and one starts and ends very close to where I live . So the price is 15,400 P.P . It is Jan 2022 so hopefully this nightmare will be over. I thought about it and set a price that we could live with . To my surprise she did not call me insane I know you can not predict the price but at about 40 % less than today's price we would do it. I may be insane ( a distinct possibility ) but it is kind of nice to dream and hope it could happen . Could this come true or am I insane.

I don't see prices dropping 40%.  But I do see your willingness to drop $40k on a trip increasing during your lifetime.  As you get older, and you see friends the same age as you becoming incapacitated, having money in the bank suddenly doesn't seem as important as doing something fun with it.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Blondilu said:

No, you're not insane.  Dreams become plans.  Plans become reality.  One step at a time.  

That's how my World Cruise experience happened.

23 minutes ago, Blondilu said:
3 minutes ago, jtwind said:

As you get older, and you see friends the same age as you becoming incapacitated, having money in the bank suddenly doesn't seem as important as doing something fun with it

Very well said!  

Not incapacitated, but I am at the stage of my life thinking:  should I have done more traveling than I did?  I am a financially conservative person.  That thinking is the way I was raised.  In retrospect, should I have allowed my bank account to decrease more just to enjoy another cruise or two/year than I did.  Particularly after I retired.  I don't think there is any "correct" answer.  That answer lies within the individual.  

My best advice is to do what one is able and comfortable to do for as long as one can do it.  Memories are priceless!  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

That's how my World Cruise experience happened.

Very well said!  

Not incapacitated, but I am at the stage of my life thinking:  should I have done more traveling than I did?  I am a financially conservative person.  That thinking is the way I was raised.  In retrospect, should I have allowed my bank account to decrease more just to enjoy another cruise or two/year than I did.  Particularly after I retired.  I don't think there is any "correct" answer.  That answer lies within the individual.  

My best advice is to do what one is able and comfortable to do for as long as one can do it.  Memories are priceless!  

Great post .Balance is hard in life I too am financially conservative so I try to do thinks more practically . Some one who is cheap finds a reason not to do something .Someone who is practical does thing's cheaply .

• Like 1

40% off $15,400 would bring the price down to $9240. I have never seen a circumnavigation listed that low and I would guesstimate that you would pay more than $1,000 in port fees/taxes and $1,000 in gratuities. Visas and laundry will add to your expenses as will alighting in ports.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dolittle said:

So I am dreaming of taking a world cruise ( and I do mean dreaming)so I look them up and one starts and ends very close to where I live . So the price is 15,400 P.P . It is Jan 2022 so hopefully this nightmare will be over. I thought about it and set a price that we could live with . To my surprise she did not call me insane I know you can not predict the price but at about 40 % less than today's price we would do it. I may be insane ( a distinct possibility ) but it is kind of nice to dream and hope it could happen . Could this come true or am I insane.

Definitely not insane for considering a World Cruise.

Suggest checking out the World Cruise Board to assist in the planning and setting a budget, as with main stream cruise lines, as other costs can exceed the base fare.

I say if you have the time and money, do it. 

If you're betting on the price dropping 40%, I wouldn't count on it. Princess has a 55 day cruise for $8,349 per person and a 71 day cruise for $10,459. There are other options to consider. 

Not for nothing, but Fred Olsen is advertising World cruises starting at 9,999 Euros.  It's on one of their new ships....well, relatively new.  It's one of the ships recently bought from Holland America.   This is the itinerary:

S2202web_2.png

43 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

I say if you have the time and money, do it. 

If you're betting on the price dropping 40%, I wouldn't count on it. Princess has a 55 day cruise for $8,349 per person and a 71 day cruise for $10,459. There are other options to consider. 

Thanks they sound pretty good .

1 hour ago, Heidi13 said:

Definitely not insane for considering a World Cruise.

Suggest checking out the World Cruise Board to assist in the planning and setting a budget, as with main stream cruise lines, as other costs can exceed the base fare.

I was just going to write almost the same thing. DH researched World Cruises for us last year, and by the time he added in all the extras not covered by the cruise fare, our budget would have been double the base fare on a balcony cabin.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, mom says said:

I was just going to write almost the same thing. DH researched World Cruises for us last year, and by the time he added in all the extras not covered by the cruise fare, our budget would have been double the base fare on a balcony cabin.

I would be going inside .

At that price, it is tempting - not insane.  We would typically spend a couple of weeks in January on St. Maarte, and then three or four weeks March into April on Sanibel on the FL Gulf Coast..  All in, it would be similar cost wise — and a great way of ignoring the whole of Winter.  Of course, cruising needs to get back to pre-COVID conditions before considering it.

I don't know know old you are but Financial wise may be it's a question of spending up to the line that you figure you will need to make sure that you spend your 'twilight years' in relative comfort (thinking of health care, perhaps a nursing home, etc).  The problem is,  as I suspect it is for many, where is the line?  

If you're one of the lucky ones who have an idea of the answer, then go for it otherwise you may regret it at some point down the line .

I don't think it is insane to dream, I have a whole set of I hope to travel plans😄. The one thing that I think you should consider in your plans is travel insurance. You would think by 2022 COVID 19 should be covered but who knows they may not or they will add it as a pricey extra thereby increasing the cost of your cruise. I would also check what the policies are with the cruise line for COVID related disruptions or cancellations. At least you should know what all your options are and consider if worst case scenario does occur are you willing to lose the money for your cruise?

21 hours ago, dolittle said:

The MPLF believes that everyone declared insane is actually normal and the rest of the population is insane.

If I was healthy and if I could afford it I would love to do a world cruise.

May your dreams come into fruition.😀

5 hours ago, babs135 said:

I don't know know old you are but Financial wise may be it's a question of spending up to the line that you figure you will need to make sure that you spend your 'twilight years' in relative comfort (thinking of health care, perhaps a nursing home, etc).  The problem is,  as I suspect it is for many, where is the line?  

If you're one of the lucky ones who have an idea of the answer, then go for it otherwise you may regret it at some point down the line .

I think that's the most important thing to consider. We're lucky to have a financial adviser that we meet with at least once a year. They have a fascinating computer program where you can plug in what are or may be your expenses and see how your money stacks up (considering future growth). And they calculate our living longer than the actuarial tables currently say. We have an in-law who's 100 y.o. and his senior/assisted living costs $100k/yr and he's been there probably close to 15 years.  As I say 'I don't have a crystal ball so don't know how long we'll live or what it will cost.'

23 hours ago, dolittle said:

Someone who is practical does thing's cheaply .

I prefer the word "inexpensively".  

I have purchased some things on the "cheap" that provided to be disappointing.  Buy quality while trying to remain within one's financial parameters as best as one can is what I have learned.  

Nothing wrong with dreaming..... and it is what ever floats your ship......

If you want to go..... go...    as they say   just do it... you only live once.....

Us we could not do it  and longest we have done is 26 nights.... enjoyed it... but glad get off.....

So whatever you decide is the right choice...... enjoy  and cheers Don

Last year I thought about buying a new car, my son laughed at me considering how little I drive these days.  I reconsidered and booked sector of world cruise from Dover to Brisbane for 54 days.  So glad I did, much better memories than having a new car.

will I be able to cruise again on my own whenever it gets back to “normal”?  Who knows we are all getting older.