Star Breeze first look

IMSYDNEYAUS

I agree that it looks like the taffy got pulled a little too much.  Can't figure out why the photo gives that impression, which I still don't get from Windstar's drawing:

windstar-hero.thumb.jpg.e135a6b8717b693c5f0b43832fdcb5e0.jpg
1493238345_ScreenShot2020-10-05at6_43_38PM.thumb.png.73822694b1d629e267798a79c0a44431.png

The bow looks “pointier” in the photo than in the rendering. The windows are also spaced further apart. Could this be a wide angle or panoramic shot?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

As to the bow, the ship is sitting high in the water in the photo (probably because it's empty) – notice that the entry doors go to the blue area in the photo and are therefore much high from the water line than in the drawing.  That means we are seeing the bow all the way to the top of the bulb.  When I compare with that in mind, the curve of the bow looks the same in both images.

As to the windows, I think they are larger in the drawing (or maybe it includes moldings that are white and therefore don't show in the photo).  There are a few windows that are either added or missing between the two, but the vast majority seem the same to me.

I think the biggest difference, and the one that explains the impression that she is long and low, is that you can see through the area on top between the top rail and the deck below it – which we will like when onboard because it means you can see the ocean!

In over 50 years of cruising Have never chosen to sail on a ship based on what it lookalike in a photo. As long as everything works, I could care less how the outside of the ship appears, it's what is inside that counts.😎😎

• Like 2

On 10/6/2020 at 12:42 AM, Host Jazzbeau said:

As to the bow, the ship is sitting high in the water in the photo (probably because it's empty) – notice that the entry doors go to the blue area in the photo and are therefore much high from the water line than in the drawing.  That means we are seeing the bow all the way to the top of the bulb.  When I compare with that in mind, the curve of the bow looks the same in both images.

As to the windows, I think they are larger in the drawing (or maybe it includes moldings that are white and therefore don't show in the photo).  There are a few windows that are either added or missing between the two, but the vast majority seem the same to me.

I think the biggest difference, and the one that explains the impression that she is long and low, is that you can see through the area on top between the top rail and the deck below it – which we will like when onboard because it means you can see the ocean!

1. Waterline. In the drawing we see the whole height from keel to mast top. The actual ship in the water appears shorter because we don't see all the way down.

2. As you pointed out, more open deck atop, so that area is less visible and doesn't contribute to an impression of height.

3. Same is true in the stern. Artist's rendition makes that area look closed in, photo makes it seem open, almost as though it weren't there, thus reducing the height visually.

4. I saw the brief video of the ship headed out on it's first sea trial. My only thought was "I want to be there!"

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/6/2020 at 3:50 PM, susiesan said:

In over 50 years of cruising Have never chosen to sail on a ship based on what it lookalike in a photo. As long as everything works, I could care less how the outside of the ship appears, it's what is inside that counts.😎😎

While in general, I agree, I would never sail on the ResidenSea. She just looked awful to me! Nor would I sail on the any of the large cruise ships. 

I prefer smaller ships because they tend to look more like ships than floating monstrocities (spelling pun intended) and I would happily choose the motor yachts again. Perhaps after I sail on one of the other ships, I'll change my mind, but it will take a lot of convincing since I like my space and a balcony. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/6/2020 at 2:50 PM, susiesan said:

I mostly agree with you, but there have been so many times when we've been offshore and return to an unexpected view of a WS ship in port and we have our breath blown away. The early pics don't give me that impression, but I'll hold judgement until I see them myself.

• Like 2

I'm hoping for an 18 day cruise on Wind Spirit April 29. But as a back up in case she doesn't sail I'm holding an 18 day November 2021 sailing on Breeze. The only WS ships I've been on are Wind Spirit and Wind Song several times each. We're transported to heaven  each time by Spirit.

There's another 17 day in July and an 18 day in August on Spirit but we decided they're too close to April to feel much better about chances of cruising if April is cancelled. On the other hand it seems that if these ships don't start sailing by April 2021 the chances of most cruise lines survival is poor.

It's too early to be worrying about it, but I'd rather switch the back up sailing now if it's likely Breeze will be that much of a difference cruising Tahiti. My husband is not at all excited about Breeze. I fear that compared to Wind Spirit especially in Tahiti we're going to be comparing and will be disappointed. Maybe it's the July or August Wind Spirit we should be holding instead. Breeze looks kind of clunky in the photo. I know things will be much different since the stretch, but if you've been on both ships could you compare that "airborne" experience on Wind Spirit to the motor yachts? Thanks.

PS. One last consideration. If we do July or August it means having the April 29 and the other cruise in final payment for some of the time possibly without knowing if April will be a go. I'm not thrilled about having FCC for 2 cruises.

Edited by Petoonya

I've sailed on all three Windstar ship types: motor, small sail and larger sail (Wind Surf). I'd be equally happy to sail on either the motor ships or the sail ships though amongst the sail ships, I prefer the deck space Wind Surf; it just has so much deck space amongst the top 3 decks. 

I was on Star Legend for Alaska where scenic cruising forms a big part of the itinerary and it has good deck space for viewing the scenery and enjoying sailing. I'd slightly prefer the sail ships for warm weather sailing, but wouldn't hesitate to take one of the motor ships if that was the itinerary and dates I wanted. 

I've been on Star Legend for a 28-day cruise and on Wind Surf for a 31-day cruise. I found that on a longer cruise, I really appreciated the larger room with a couch and two comfortable chairs on the motor yacht. For 7 to 10 days, the cabins on the sailing ships are big enough and the larger one on a motor ship is a minor advantage. As the cruise stretches out longer, it's nice to have a room that is a more comfortable retreat and with space where one can have room service dinner and a big window (or even a slider if you get a balcony) to watch the scenery. (Yes, there is the banquet arrangement on Wind Star and Wind Surf where you can eat, but I don't find it very comfortable.)

The one caveat, is that I'm concerned about how the Yacht Club and the Lounge will handle the increased passenger load. They say that they have reconfigured seating in the lounge to handle it, but the deck plan isn't detailed enough to judge whether that's enough. Yacht Club is more of a concern on colder weather cruises like Alaska where it got crowded with people wanting to see the view on when it was cold or rainy (my cruise was in May and it was cloudy or raining almost all the time). Until the first motor cruises restart, we won't be able to get passenger feedback on that. The early cruises may be way below capacity so it may take even longer before we find that out. 

1 hour ago, new_cruiser said:

The one caveat, is that I'm concerned about how the Yacht Club and the Lounge will handle the increased passenger load. They say that they have reconfigured seating in the lounge to handle it, but the deck plan isn't detailed enough to judge whether that's enough. Yacht Club is more of a concern on colder weather cruises like Alaska where it got crowded with people wanting to see the view on when it was cold or rainy (my cruise was in May and it was cloudy or raining almost all the time). Until the first motor cruises restart, we won't be able to get passenger feedback on that. The early cruises may be way below capacity so it may take even longer before we find that out. 

This has been a problem on every cruise we have taken with cold or rainy weather [mega ships, large ships, and small ships].  It is why we always want a veranda [which none of the Windstar ships have, except in the Owners' Suites on the yachts], to make sure we control our own space in addition to the public space.  But I am still really looking forward to our first Windstar cruise, if it happens, in Spain this April.

• Like 1

@new_cruiser

Thank you for your helpful information about Breeze compared to Spirit Tahiti. Breeze would not be as thrilling and romantic sailing around the islands and that's why we keep going. If WS will let me shove up that backup Nov. cruise to 2022 when Spirit is back in Tahiti, we'll switch. We want the 17/18 days so that's our only option and better chances with COVID too. But will wait til my anxiety about Nov 3 settles down to ask. We'll l keep hoping for 4/29/21 but the world situation looks bleak.

Seems so simple. Just a piece of cloth over the face and keeping our distance. Why does the US and the rest of the world not get it? If anyone makes masks there are many organizations who are sewing masks to send to developing countries.

Thanks again new_cruiser.

Edited by Petoonya

We have been on thirteen Windstar cruises over the years. Three earlier ones on the sailboats, one to Tahiti, and the other ten on all three of the motor yachts. 
I agree that there is a certain romance and fascination with the sailing yachts, although actual sailing has been a rare experience on our cruises. We actually prefer the motor yachts. There is no comparison between the size and amenities of the cabins between the two types of ships with the motor yachts coming out on top in our opinion. The motor yachts are generally more spacious and offer rooms such as our favorite, The Yacht Club, which are not available on the sailing yachts.

We have two more cruises, one on the sailboats and one on the motor yachts, so despite our preference for the motor yachts, our decisions are based more on timing and itineraries than on the ship itself.

Obviously this is a personal choice with both decisions being the right ones

1 hour ago, Barrycat said:

Obviously this is a personal choice with both decisions being the right ones

Thanks so much. I think I'd do Breeze. Dh is holding up his nose particularly high. I'll see what happens with doing a switch. Overall still hoping for April 2021.

Well......WS won't let me do a switch from the 18 day cruise 11/21 to same in 5/22 at same price. It would have been a real stretch if they did. But as of yesterday a nice person here sent me a video of Breeze staterooms pre-stretch. I think we'd be very happy doing Tahiti on it. Still hoping for 4/21, but nice to have that 11/21 as a backup. Thanks for all the help everytone.

I must say,  the ship looks terrific. Can’t wait to go back. While we love the sails of the sailing ships ( been on Windsurf and Windstar),  we like the layout of the motor yachts better (been on Star Pride and Star Legend), just easier to get around.  Don’t think the increase in capacity will be a problem as there will be more venues to spread out people. The 3 ships will be almost as long as the Windsurf which carries 342 vs 312 on the yachts, so no issues with finding a spot, plus you have the french balconies in some suites.  Another plus is the access to the bow of the ship (with hot tub) which is not accessible on the sailing ships.  Stay safe