Princess Medallion use update

ALWAYS CRUZIN

25 minutes ago, beg3yrs said:

For all you folks who are nervous that using your smart phone on the ship will incur roaming charges and for those who don't want to invest in one I suggest a less expensive alternative would be an inexpensive tablet. Amazon's Kindle Fire series low-end models are very inexpensive and would serve nicely on a ship as an interface to its intranet. No, I don't work for Amazon!

What makes you think it's about expense? It's about freedom to unwind and relax. If you can afford a cruise I doubt it's about a few more dollars.

5 hours ago, beg3yrs said:

For all you folks who are nervous that using your smart phone on the ship will incur roaming charges and for those who don't want to invest in one I suggest a less expensive alternative would be an inexpensive tablet.

No roaming charges if you go into airplane mode and then reactivate wifi so you can access the ship's intranet and internet. Your phone will no longer try to connect with your carrier.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, beg3yrs said:

For all you folks who are nervous that using your smart phone on the ship will incur roaming charges and for those who don't want to invest in one I suggest a less expensive alternative would be an inexpensive tablet. Amazon's Kindle Fire series low-end models are very inexpensive and would serve nicely on a ship as an interface to its intranet. No, I don't work for Amazon!

From personal experience it's more about not wanting to be connected, not wanting to carry around anything, not able to view a phone tablet or any screen due to reduced eye sight, for couples only one phone owned for the two of them, and wanting personal service.  

13 hours ago, beg3yrs said:

I did just that!  I used the Amazon Fire 7 on a medallion cruise in February of this year.  It's not as easy to get the Medallion Class App on the Amazon Fire Tablet but it can be done, and it worked just fine.  Keep  in mind the processor in the Fire is very slow so it will take some time to get everything downloaded onto the tablet.

First thing you need to do is get the Google Play Store app on the tablet.  The Fire's operating system isn't fully compatible with android apps but it can be made compatible.  I am attaching the link to a website that will give you step by step instructions on downloading updates to the tablet making it so you can get Google Play on the Fire and then you can download the Medallion Class App from Google Play.  Keep in mind that you must follow the exact sequence of downloads in order for this to work.  Also keep in mind as I mentioned earlier that the Fire's processor is very slow so it may seem as if it's not getting the downloads but it took me a few hours to get everything on my Fire.  Once you have the Google Play Store on your fire you will look for the Princess Medallion Class App and download it onto your fire.  (Once again it took a long time to download the Medallion)

Here are the step by step instructions for downloading the Google Play Store onto your Amazon Fire Tablet:

https://www.howtogeek.com/232726/how-to-install-the-google-play-store-on-your-amazon-fire-tablet/

It worked like a charm and was worth the effort.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

I did just that!  I used the Amazon Fire 7 on a medallion cruise in February of this year.  It's not as easy to get the Medallion Class App on the Amazon Fire Tablet but it can be done, and it worked just fine.  Keep  in mind the processor in the Fire is very slow so it will take some time to get everything downloaded onto the tablet.

Or, wait for Black Friday, and perhaps buy a $30 android phone.

When you jump in the pool, having forgotten that the phone is in your pocket...

...you reaction will be 'cool'.   Rathering than crying over an expensive phone.

I have an amazon tablet.   So-so.   It's just not quite android.

I assume the people who are recommending it have tested the medallion app.

My experience has been that most apps work.  This is fine, unless the one

you happen to want does not.

And, I'm not sure I want to drag a table to the dining room to order my entre.

I mentioned this idea a couple years ago, and got flamed for telling people what to do.

I'm simply offering a suggestion.  People are free to do as they wish, of course.

I wonder if that 'gent' is still around?

Edited by Roberto256

16 hours ago, Daniel A said:

How was the speed in using it on the ship?

22 hours ago, Daniel A said:

First thing you need to do is get the Google Play Store app on the tablet.  The Fire's operating system isn't fully compatible with android apps but it can be made compatible.  I am attaching the link to a website that will give you step by step instructions on downloading updates to the tablet making it so you can get Google Play on the Fire and then you can download the Medallion Class App from Google Play.  Keep in mind that you must follow the exact sequence of downloads in order for this to work.  Also keep in mind as I mentioned earlier that the Fire's processor is very slow so it may seem as if it's not getting the downloads but it took me a few hours to get everything on my Fire.  Once you have the Google Play Store on your fire you will look for the Princess Medallion Class App and download it onto your fire.  (Once again it took a long time to download the Medallion)

Here are the step by step instructions for downloading the Google Play Store onto your Amazon Fire Tablet:

https://www.howtogeek.com/232726/how-to-install-the-google-play-store-on-your-amazon-fire-tablet/

5 hours ago, caribill said:

How was the speed in using it on the ship?

The Amazon Fire worked just fine with the Medallion Class App whether onboard or ashore prior to boarding.  The speed issues were only noticeable during the downloading process described in the above link.  Once I had the Medallion Class App loaded onto my fire I never noticed any problems - speed or otherwise.  I plan to use the Fire on any future Medallion Class cruises.

• Like 1

I think it is difficult for some younger folks (I guess this could be under age 70) to understand that some of us do not want to carry around a phone when on a ship (or vacation).  Until the last couple of years DW and I would turn off our phones and toss them in the cabin safe as soon as we had our embarkation sail-away.   On our last couple of Princess cruises one of us would carry a phone onboard, but it was a battle over who got to carry the phone (neither one of us wanted the darn thing).  One of the joys of cruising is we can be "disconnected" without any guilt :).

Hank

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

I think it is difficult for some younger folks (I guess this could be under age 70) to understand that some of us do not want to carry around a phone when on a ship (or vacation).  Until the last couple of years DW and I would turn off our phones and toss them in the cabin safe as soon as we had our embarkation sail-away.   On our last couple of Princess cruises one of us would carry a phone onboard, but it was a battle over who got to carry the phone (neither one of us wanted the darn thing).  One of the joys of cruising is we can be "disconnected" without any guilt :).

Hank

I only took my Fire tablet with me when I was looking for the location of our travel partners onboard.  Otherwise I just left it in the cabin.  It was pretty neat to be able to find out where our relatives were and join them for a drink or cup of coffee.

I not only use my phone for the Patter activity info and to keep track of my folio charges but I also have my books on my phone (as well as on my tablet). I don't have an issue with having the phone in my pocket. It's not like it's burdensome to have it there.

5 hours ago, Thrak said:

I not only use my phone for the Patter activity info and to keep track of my folio charges but I also have my books on my phone (as well as on my tablet). I don't have an issue with having the phone in my pocket. It's not like it's burdensome to have it there.

+1  We have music, books, games, etc. on our phones (and they are water resistant and can take a dunk in the pool), plus we use them to keep in touch on the ship, which is a stress reducer.  The Ocean apps would be a bonus on that.   But I will never gainsay anyone wanting to disconnect on a cruise, the good bit is we can do whatever makes us happy!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Thrak said:

...and don't forget the camera on the phone. You just never know when you are going to want to take a quick picture of dolphins playing in the wake at the back of the ship that you see while walking on the promenade deck (grand class only of course).   😊

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Daniel A said:

I only took my Fire tablet with me when I was looking for the location of our travel partners onboard.  Otherwise I just left it in the cabin.  It was pretty neat to be able to find out where our relatives were and join them for a drink or cup of coffee.

Yeah, but...

There was a thread here about 'touchless cruising', where you might to to the dining room, and order

your meal using your phone/medallion.   If I needed to do this, I would be happier with something

that would fit in a pocket.

For anyone who has kids, or grandkids between 15 and 30, ask them if they have an 'old phone'

that they used before they got the latest and greatest.  Highly likely.

And, I can't believe I haven't been flamed.

20 hours ago, Hlitner said:

I think it is difficult for some younger folks (I guess this could be under age 70) to understand that some of us do not want to carry around a phone when on a ship (or vacation).  ....

I don't think anyone is trying to force you to carry a device while you're on the ship. It's certainly up to you and I for one understand the desire to disconnect. You'll be cruising like you did in the 90s and the first decade of this century but hey, that was a pretty good time too!

However, there are some who would like to enjoy the technology's benefits but they fret over inadvertently incurring charges on their phones in spite of all the advice given as to how to set the device so that doesn't happen. Heck, I've forgotten a few times to do that. I suggested an inexpensive tablet which has no cell phone capability thus making it difficult to incur roaming charges. I got flamed for that but I appreciated the other posters who shared their positive experiences with the tablet solution.

• Like 2

To each his own. We don't have smart phones and have no plans on getting one, We don't need them and we don't want one. How is Princess going to handle us who don't have a smart phone? When we get on the ship we turn off our "flip" phone, toss it into the safe and don't turn it back on until we get back off the ship. We don't cruise again until next June so I think Princess wll have enough time to figure it all out. But I guess I'll get a little Medallion thingy to keep in my pocket.

9 minutes ago, Eaglecw said:

To each his own. We don't have smart phones and have no plans on getting one, We don't need them and we don't want one. How is Princess going to handle us who don't have a smart phone? When we get on the ship we turn off our "flip" phone, toss it into the safe and don't turn it back on until we get back off the ship. We don't cruise again until next June so I think Princess wll have enough time to figure it all out. But I guess I'll get a little Medallion thingy to keep in my pocket.

We could have a fun discussion (over a few drinks) about smart phones.  Up until 2 1/2 years ago DW still had her old flip phone.  For her, the game changer was a new grandchild and the opportunity to Facetime on a daily basis.  Prior to COVID we were also pretty adventurous world travelers (mostly independent) and my Smartphone worked just about everywhere in the world and also provided a decent GPS system.  It also allows our family to simple call our cell phone (no matter where we are) and it works.  That is one great benefit of having T-Mobile which includes service in about 210 countries without any additional monthly fees.

There are other important reasons for travelers to have a cell phone.  The airline apps only work on Smartphones and can provide real time tracking of luggage and any schedule updates.  If you miss a flight due to a connection problem, while folks are waiting in long lines to find other flights we can quickly resolve the issues with our phone (and no waiting).  There are also quite a few hotel chains where a smartphone lets us check-in (hours in advance) and then our phone works as the room key..so we avoid having to deal with a crowded front desk.  Just walk in the hotel and go directly to your room.  In this COVID era that is actually a pretty good benefit.

We could get into a heated discussion about smartphones on Princess.  But it does give us access to the Princess apps, lets us do all of our check-in stuff prior to going to the port, and gets us through the port check-in procedure without having to wait in long lines.  Once aboard the phone can handle alternative restaurant reservations.  In the post COVID world there will likely be requirements for other reservations (such as to shows) and the phone apps will also serve that purpose.  I do have a love/hate relationship with my phone but it has become a necessity for independent travelers.

One recent development are restaurants that use Smartphones to notify you when your table is ready.  In some cases they will tell you to wait outside (in your car or elsewhere) and will notify you via text msg when it is time to be seated.  An even bigger issue are the 2 step log ins for many secure connections such as banks.  This requires a working cell phone and in some cases a working smartphone.  

Hank

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Hlitner said:

One recent development are restaurants that use Smartphones to notify you when your table is ready.  In some cases they will tell you to wait outside (in your car or elsewhere) and will notify you via text msg when it is time to be seated.  This also applies to visits to doctors, dentists, barbers, etc. You call to let them know you are waiting and they call to let you kjnow to come in.

An even bigger issue are the 2 step log ins for many secure connections such as banks.  This requires a working cell phone and in some cases a working smartphone.  This has been a big problem for me as I do not have a cell phone smart or dumb. They will not even allow me to (temporarily) use a friend's or relative's cell phone as they check to see in whose name the phone is registered. They used to allow the "secret" code to be sent to you via E-mail, but many banks have quit using this option.

7 hours ago, caribill said:

I have a flip phone and I get texts on it just fine whether waiting for the Doctor or another type of appointment.  2 step verification texts come through without any problem.  I just like the convenience of carrying the phone with me all the time as it fits very nicely in the pocket of anything I wear.  I suppose I could live with the new Razr phone except I can't live with paying $1000.00+ for the other features which I most likely won't use anyway.

33 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

I have a flip phone and I get texts on it just fine whether waiting for the Doctor or another type of appointment.  2 step verification texts come through without any problem.  I just like the convenience of carrying the phone with me all the time as it fits very nicely in the pocket of anything I wear.  I suppose I could live with the new Razr phone except I can't live with paying $1000.00+ for the other features which I most likely won't use anyway.

my wife has an iphone 11 - I have a 4s - our son has a XsMax and will upgrade to the 12 - I will "buy" his Max rather than him trading it in for whatever value he would get ... win-win as I prolly use about 5% of a phone's capabilities ... it's his lifeline for work and personal

On 10/21/2020 at 8:19 PM, Thrak said:

Two Kentucky jokes. I got the second one from one of my wife's nieces who lives in Kentucky.

1: In a poll of Kentucky citizens 38% pronounced the name of the capital city as "Louie Ville". The other 62% said it was pronounced "Lovelle". Unfortunately, the name of the capital of Kentucky is pronounced "Frankfort".

2:  What's the difference between a violin and a fiddle?  A violin has "strings". A fiddle' got '"strangs".

My sincere apologies to anybody from Kentucky. I live in California. Imagine the number of jokes about that...

Our drinks as kids were always tonic didn't matter coke, pepsi, mountain dew, always were tonic.

Oh and I'm from Massachusetts and there aren't any R's in Massachusetts :). Folk's around the northeast always know where I'm from. Get it all the time you from Boston, can tell your from Boston :). Sometimes I think Boston is the only city in MA.

I wrote to Princess regarding the need to use a medallion and here is their answer. 

Department, Customer Relations (PCL) <customerrelations@princesscruises.com>
Tue 10/27/2020 12:34 To:
  •  YouDear ,

Thank you for your recent inquiry to the Customer Relations department at Princess Cruises.  We thank you for your Elite Captain Circle loyalty level and for your patience.  Your email was asking about the medallions onboard our ships and whether or not you can “opt-out” from that technology and receive a black plastic cruise keycard.  Yes, you can.  The actual “opt-out” procedure would be done at cruise check-in.  Rather than obtaining the medallion at check-in, guests may choose to get the standard cruise keycard.  You would not need to do anything in advance on any of your upcoming reservations other than completing the standard guest check-in procedure in the Cruise Personalizer area of the Princess website.  (You can also call Reservations for assistance with that.)

Thanks for contacting Princess Cruises.  We hope you enjoy your upcoming cruises.

Sincerely,

Princess Cruises

customerrelations@princesscruises.com

2 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

I wrote to Princess regarding the need to use a medallion and here is their answer. 

Department, Customer Relations (PCL) <customerrelations@princesscruises.com>
Tue 10/27/2020 12:34 To:
  •  YouDear ,

Thank you for your recent inquiry to the Customer Relations department at Princess Cruises.  We thank you for your Elite Captain Circle loyalty level and for your patience.  Your email was asking about the medallions onboard our ships and whether or not you can “opt-out” from that technology and receive a black plastic cruise keycard.  Yes, you can.  The actual “opt-out” procedure would be done at cruise check-in.  Rather than obtaining the medallion at check-in, guests may choose to get the standard cruise keycard.  You would not need to do anything in advance on any of your upcoming reservations other than completing the standard guest check-in procedure in the Cruise Personalizer area of the Princess website.  (You can also call Reservations for assistance with that.)

Thanks for contacting Princess Cruises.  We hope you enjoy your upcoming cruises.

Sincerely,

Princess Cruises

customerrelations@princesscruises.com

I think you can get the medallion at check-in and go to Passenger Services and then request the card.  This way you would have both a card and medallion.  I also think the medallion will get you onto the ship faster at check in and at ports of call.

7 hours ago, Daniel A said:

I think you can get the medallion at check-in and go to Passenger Services and then request the card.  This way you would have both a card and medallion.  I also think the medallion will get you onto the ship faster at check in and at ports of call.

The card works identical to the medallion in speed getting on the ship and at ports. It also avoids any erroneous readings of a medallion. Many reports of someone getting charged for a drink they didn't order , the person nearby  ordered it. It's personal preference and mine is no medallion. 

38 minutes ago, cruzsnooze said:

The card works identical to the medallion in speed getting on the ship and at ports. It also avoids any erroneous readings of a medallion. Many reports of someone getting charged for a drink they didn't order , the person nearby  ordered it. It's personal preference and mine is no medallion. 

IMO touch less transactions are the future trend.  Concerns about COVID infections has certainly expedited this trend.  I try never to hand someone my card.  Perhaps you can find some other touch less methods that are more comfortable to you than the medallion. 
I know that I loved the magic bands at Disney.