Caribbean in January

gizmodog

7 minutes ago, gizmodog said:

What are your thoughts about cruising in January if cruising resumes?

Just fine.  If a hurricane is about they simply avoid the storm track.  Would be fine cruising in January of 2022.  

Cruising to a private island or controlled port like Labadee - not interested.

Am guessing weather is your concern?

• Haha 2

I really appreciate all your comments and opinions. We are suppose to go Jan 15 2021, we are on cruise credits on a previous cancelled cruise, celebrity won’t let me use the credits to pay off an already booked Jan 15 2022 B2B.   They say the credits aren’t good on Apex or Edge. If I don’t rebook for 2021 if cancelling I lose them. Also the if I rebook with my credits, the cruises are much higher in price then when originally booked and I lose all my perks which are quite a few. I am really in a quandary as to what to do.

Can’t you trade in the FCC for a cash refund at 100% from the original cruise?  Your other option is to stick it out and see if X cancels your cruise or if cruises start out in December, read reviews and maybe go on the cruise if the reviews are positive. 

We just cancelled a January 2021 before final payment. Hated to lose a very good deal that included 4 Perks, but we didn’t feel comfortable not knowing what cruising would look like in 3 months. 

Jan 15 for 10 days.

they will not let me use FCC for refund.

I keep thinking if my best bet is to make final payment and hope they cancel but then I think what if they don’t? It’s a gamble, and if I follow my gambling record my chances are not to good...lol

Personally, I wouldn't take a cruise in mid-January 2021.  The CDC, CLIA and individual lines may be able to reach some accord to enable cruising to restart, and the lines may be able to make all of the necessary shipboard physical changes that will be required, and acquire and train their crews, but that's a tall order for 3 months. I wouldn't like to be a guinea pig on one of the initial cruises, particularly with the possibility of having access to a vaccine being slim to none for the average cruiser.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jelayne said:

The “Live from .... threads look pretty nice and the posters seem to be having a good experience.  

We are booked in late February and April and plan to sail.

As are we.  2/26/21 on Connie.

Not sure what to do. We have a Feb. 15th cruise on the Connie. We would like lift & shift, but that runs us right into our late January cruise. That would mean we drive home, do laundry, get the mail and drive back to the February cruise. The wife says that is nuts. We are hoping that it goes so our vacation schedule doesn't look like come home for 3 days, leave, next vacation, repeat 4 times. These vacation are getting too scrunched up.

gizmodog what ship are you booked on?  If cruising restarts in December or January (or whenever) only a couple of ships will be sailing.  My guess is that the first 2 ships that will start up are the Edge & the Apex.  

We are booked on the Infinity in February but so far there is indication that either the Infinity or Constellation are heading back from Europe.  So while we would be happy to go in February we don’t think that the Infinity will be sailing that soon.

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

Personally, I wouldn't take a cruise in mid-January 2021.  The CDC, CLIA and individual lines may be able to reach some accord to enable cruising to restart, and the lines may be able to make all of the necessary shipboard physical changes that will be required, and acquire and train their crews, but that's a tall order for 3 months. I wouldn't like to be a guinea pig on one of the initial cruises, particularly with the possibility of having access to a vaccine being slim to none for the average cruiser.

Agree.  They also need to have agreements with each port to handle any ill passengers.  Many ports will never be able to handle.  With the guidelines from CLIA short cruises are first.  Is that possible for a 10 day cruise in January?  Very slim possibility in my opinion.

Probably time to let them cancel.

• Like 1

We recently cancelled our BTB cruises on the Summit which were to take place over Christmas and New Years. We booked these cruises long before the world had learned how to spell Covid. I would still like to go but it seems that the participants on this board have more knowledge than Celebrity. When I asked if Celebrity would delay final payment their answer was no. When I asked if they had any up to date information they referred me to the statement at the top of their website. I cannot understand how any company could require payment for a service that they themselves have no idea how to provide. They want me to advance them money and then they promise to provide me only FCC if they fail to deliver. I've run my own business for years and would never think of taking somebody's money for a service that I could not guarantee providing. Ethics are a funny thing that seem to be lost in the business world today.

We're booked on the Edge for a mid January '21 seven night cruise in the Caribbean.  Just about at final payment.  If the cruise goes, we're on it.  This will be our first S1 and the first time on Edge.  Even if we sail around for 7 days with no ports, I'll be happy to be on the ship.  If the cruise was longer, maybe not so much.

So from the way it's been going I guess you won't know if you are sailing in January until sometime in December.  We had been booked on the Nov 2 Reflection sailing and that was just cancelled this week.

And if they start with these short sailings with no or minimal stops like TUI, MSC and now RCL has announced in Singapore how will they handle bookings?  

Do you think they will keep the existing sailings and bookings and possibly gut the itinerary/change # days/reduce passengers?   Or will they more likely cancel all existing bookings and create new sailings.  That way they could control capacity and ensure everyone booking signs the new contract with the new conditions of sailing.

14 hours ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Just fine.  If a hurricane is about they simply avoid the storm track.  Would be fine cruising in January of 2022.  

Cruising to a private island or controlled port like Labadee - not interested.

Am guessing weather is your concern?

No hurricanes in January. I have a cruise scheduled on January 5, 2021 and plan to go. The ship normally holds under 1000 passengers and I guess that if it go will have about 500. I seriously doubt that this Panama Canal cruise will go, but if it does I will be on the ship with masks. Different strokes for different folks I guess. 

There was a Cruise Critic article earlier this week that had executives hoping/thinking late December or early January for startup.  I kind of doubt they're going to sail all ships at once.  The chances of them doing only short itineraries seems most likely.  The Healthy Sail Panel's recommendations were for trips no longer than 10 days but also to tightly controlled destinations.  Those destinations are key, I think, as no one knows what countries are going to agree to accept cruise passengers, especially on a cruise that currently has five port stops in it.  I think they'll shorten or cancel those longer itineraries until they have a proven track record of no outbreaks, at least in the initial startup phase.  If they shorten the trip, you should be able to cancel at that point based on past practice. 

Really, though, no one knows for sure (even the cruise lines).  So much of this is out of their control, but they're certainly lobbying for a return to sailing.  I think if the U.S. starts seeing dramatically rising cases as people start staying inside more with colder weather, then all of this changes.  This morning, the league that serves as a trade group for Broadway shows in NY and on tour announced that shows will not restart before May 30 of next year (originally was early January).  I expect other industries will be making similar announcements over the coming weeks.

gizmodog if any cruise actually goes in January it will be limited capacity with a lot of restrictions to comply with social distancing and masks.  Possibly several ports closed or highly restricted.  Risk of virus exposure from flying and staying in FL.  In my view anyway this is not really a vacation worth my cash or time.  And then there is the safety aspect of it to consider.  We all have different risk tolerance and it is a personal decision if the ship goes.  Nobody can make that for you.

Had a Ultimate Southern Caribbean cruise on Equinox scheduled for 1/21. Did a L & S to 1/22 two months ago. I doubt anything will go from FL through at least 3/21. That 12 night Equinox cruise is a great itinerary and if it does go, it will certainly sail with changes, I'm sure. 

Jumped cruise lines for a 12/21 7 night Caribbean cruise on Carnival Mardi Gras. Living close to Port Canaveral is very convenient and offers easy access to several cruise lines. Mardi Gras is Carnival's newest ship and will sail from PC. Big beautiful new terminal awaits her arrival. This booking is all about the ship which supposedly is quite spectacular.

IF I was over 75 with other conditions, I would stay away from folks...but I’m not, so I’d go.  I’m booked in March on The Edge, if it goes, I’m going to be on board. Barring some type of false positive BS test at the port, which I suppose could happen. 

Edited by PTC DAWG

30 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

IF I was over 75 with other conditions, I would stay away from folks...but I’m not, so I’d go.  I’m booked in March on The Edge, if it goes, I’m going to be on board. Barring some type of false positive BS test at the port, which I suppose could happen. 

Assuming, of course, that your positive test is a false positive, as there has been a significant shift to younger age groups testing positive. In Canada, as of yesterday, the 70-79 age group had the lowest number of current cases, while the 20-29 age group had the highest.