Caribbean in January

gizmodog

4 hours ago, TeeRick said:

gizmodog if any cruise actually goes in January it will be limited capacity with a lot of restrictions to comply with social distancing and masks.  Possibly several ports closed or highly restricted.  Risk of virus exposure from flying and staying in FL.  In my view anyway this is not really a vacation worth my cash or time.  And then there is the safety aspect of it to consider.  We all have different risk tolerance and it is a personal decision if the ship goes.  Nobody can make that for you.

Would think with the White House / VP Pence meeting with cruise lines about an hour ago we will hear something soon

My concern is that the US politicians are saying ok to resume cruising and the medical community on the committee said said till 2021.  If any ship has issues it will be likely months to restart.

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

Assuming, of course, that your positive test is a false positive, as there has been a significant shift to younger age groups testing positive. In Canada, as of yesterday, the 70-79 age group had the lowest number of current cases, while the 20-29 age group had the highest. 

I fully expect the younger folks to get it, they have almost zero risk...in other words, they don’t care...it is what it is.  Herd immunity can’t get here quick enough. 

I’m 57, no other issues, I basically have zero risks too...I’m never around older people, etc...

Shorter cruises to the private islands are what I see to begin with...

Safe travels to all, whatever you choose. 

2 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

I fully expect the younger folks to get it, they have almost zero risk...in other words, they don’t care...it is what it is.  Herd immunity can’t get here quick enough. 

I’m 57, no other issues, I basically have zero risks too...I’m never around older people, etc...

Shorter cruises to the private islands are what I see to begin with...

Safe travels to all, whatever you choose. 

So, you feel safer being around younger people, who are more likely to have and to transmit the virus, than you do being around older people, who pose less of a threat of transmission. Interesting choice. I'm glad that everyone cruising will need to be tested, especially those who have a misguided sense of personal invulnerability.

21 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

So, you feel safer being around younger people, who are more likely to have and to transmit the virus, than you do being around older people, who pose less of a threat of transmission. Interesting choice. I'm glad that everyone cruising will need to be tested, especially those who have a misguided sense of personal invulnerability.

Judge on if you must...In my County of around 115K people, positive tests are now at a low of under 4% of people tested....

In my state of Georgia, positive tests peeked in mid July and have plummeted since then.  

Obviously, I would gladly take a test before cruising...

I govern myself accordingly....in other words, I don't see much risk in my area.  Yours may be different.  Stay safe.  

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, gizmodog said:

I am scheduled on reflection so wish they would give us their plan to sail safely so I could read it. 

I booked that same cruise and L&S a few months ago. Based on our circumstances I just couldn't afford all of the unknowns. I moved to 1/22 on the Millennium. We sailed on her in 2001, so it will be nice to see her again.

Best of look to you gizmodog.

20 hours ago, gizmodog said:

I really appreciate all your comments and opinions. We are suppose to go Jan 15 2021, we are on cruise credits on a previous cancelled cruise, celebrity won’t let me use the credits to pay off an already booked Jan 15 2022 B2B.   They say the credits aren’t good on Apex or Edge. If I don’t rebook for 2021 if cancelling I lose them. Also the if I rebook with my credits, the cruises are much higher in price then when originally booked and I lose all my perks which are quite a few. I am really in a quandary as to what to do.

The source of your FCC was a cancelled cruise?  Your choice or Celebrity’s choice?  

Before the COVID related cancellations I received a significant FCC for a cancelled Silhouette cruise.  I was able to apply the FCC to an October 2021 Apex cruise.  (Which was outside the initial Inaugural season)
I seem to recall that there might be a restriction about using FCC during an Inaugural Season.  But that would certainly not apply to the Edge.  

Also our FCC cannot be credited back and applied to a different cruise.

Can’t you do a Lift and Shift on the January 2021 cruise?  If not, then I guess you can just hope that your booked cruise is cancelled.  Personally I have a hard believing that Celebrity will not allow everyone the option to receive a FCC without any penalty.

Good Luck

Edited by jagoffee

I know, celebrity is being very hard I get they are having hard times too, the FCC was originally our money and I don’t understand why it is so hard. This was a cancelled cruise by them, not me. Anyway, I paid the final payment and will still have time to cancel if need be and keep the credits, I will just lose all my perks. If things don’t go as planned for them and cruising is still not a healthy option, I’m hoping they will cancel.

7 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

Judge on if you must...In my County of around 115K people, positive tests are now at a low of under 4% of people tested....

In my state of Georgia, positive tests peeked in mid July and have plummeted since then.  

I govern myself accordingly....in other words, I don't see much risk in my area.  Yours may be different.  Stay safe.  

The problem with this disease is that it is so difficult to erase. This summer, when you had high numbers, ours had come down so low and now yours are down and ours are way up.

59 minutes ago, cantstopingcruising said:

The problem with this disease is that it is so difficult to erase. This summer, when you had high numbers, ours had come down so low and now yours are down and ours are way up.

Agree just when things start looking good and people relax there is a spike that follows.

18 hours ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Would think with the White House / VP Pence meeting with cruise lines about an hour ago we will hear something soon

My concern is that the US politicians are saying ok to resume cruising and the medical community on the committee said said till 2021.  If any ship has issues it will be likely months to restart.

Here is the Miami Herald article on that meeting yesterday,

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/tourism-cruises/article246350800.html

On 10/8/2020 at 10:34 PM, jelayne said:

gizmodog what ship are you booked on?  If cruising restarts in December or January (or whenever) only a couple of ships will be sailing.  My guess is that the first 2 ships that will start up are the Edge & the Apex.  

We are booked on the Infinity in February but so far there is indication that either the Infinity or Constellation are heading back from Europe.  So while we would be happy to go in February we don’t think that the Infinity will be sailing that soon.

Agree.  IF some ships sail in January it won't likely be all of them.  There will still be waves of cancellations for a while.

11 hours ago, cantstopingcruising said:

It will never be erased...how can a disease with NO symptoms in most cases be contained?  

Edited by PTC DAWG

17 hours ago, gizmodog said:

If things don’t go as planned for them and cruising is still not a healthy option, I’m hoping they will cancel.

As others have stated it does seem unlikely that Celebrity and the other cruise lines will be fully up and running in January 2021.  That is just a few short months away.  The trend in worldwide daily new coronavirus cases is not a downward one.  The process of restarting cruising will be very gradual.  The Miami Herald article that was shared mentions upgrading air conditioning systems on board among other things.  I can only imagine what air conditioning upgrades might entail and the logistics involved.  I am just as eager as others to get back on a ship, but not planning to until a year from now.  Even then I am expecting extensive protocols and will follow them as asked.  If your cruise does take place I would be prepared to be part of the herd of guinea pigs testing out these newly implemented, extensive protocols on board and in port (if port stops are even part of the equation.)  Ports of call may not be anything similar to what is on your original itinerary if any materialize at all.  

3 hours ago, lovrccl said:

Why would a mistake that reported cases that were already previously reported negatively affect cruise timing?

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/9/2020 at 2:48 PM, Fouremco said:

Uhm... I avoid older people (as well as other people with increased risk factors that are visible) in stores, etc, out of respect for their increased vulnerability.  The asymptomatic aspect of myself being the motivating factor.  Who knows who really carries the virus?  Since we can't know without visible symptoms and subsequent test, the controllable factor is those at higher risk.  FWIW, my pre-teen grandaughter had symptoms.. testing showed a normal cold.  And we stayed home until there was no coughing/fever/visible symptoms...because you know... there is no longer any such thing as a regular plain old cold IN PUBLIC. Or for that matter, allergies.

6 minutes ago, spiritkat090909 said:

Uhm... I avoid older people (as well as other people with increased risk factors that are visible) in stores, etc, out of respect for their increased vulnerability.  The asymptomatic aspect of myself being the motivating factor.  Who knows who really carries the virus?  Since we can't know without visible symptoms and subsequent test, the controllable factor is those at higher risk.  FWIW, my pre-teen grandaughter had symptoms.. testing showed a normal cold.  And we stayed home until there was no coughing/fever/visible symptoms...because you know... there is no longer any such thing as a regular plain old cold IN PUBLIC. Or for that matter, allergies.

The person to whom I was responding was talking about the threat to himself, not the threat he might pose to others. You are looking at it from the opposite perspective, and I agree fully with you. As seniors, we are very conscious of our potential vulnerability, as are our kids and grandkids. Thanksgiving was the first time that we haven't celebrated a major holiday together as a family.

It’s worth noting at this point that we are beginning to learn more about “ long Covid” regardless of age. My mother in law died from probable Covid in a care home and both my brother in law and sister in law caught it in April. They were both hospitalised and both still have problems, my brother in law is just back at work but has probably lung damage, my sister in law now suffers from confusion. I was in contact with a guy that made national news when he caught it in Vietnam, he was a pilot with them and I think in his 40s. He described his health now as walking like a geriatric and has developed an ear problem so bad he feels he will never fly as a pilot again. It’s certainly a personal choice what we do but worth being aware that regardless of age this thing can leave you with serious problems that could be life long. A risk worth taking for a two week vacation ?

On 10/8/2020 at 7:34 PM, gizmodog said:

Jan 15 for 10 days.

they will not let me use FCC for refund.

I keep thinking if my best bet is to make final payment and hope they cancel but then I think what if they don’t? It’s a gamble, and if I follow my gambling record my chances are not to good...lol

I think there is a 99% chance Celebrity will ultimately cancel this cruise.  Three big reasons- 1) there is only a small chance any ships will be sailing by then, 2) if there are, it will likely be Apex and/or Edge, and 3) there is no way a 10 day cruise is going to sail that soon - all first cruises will be shorter.  I would just wait and let Celebrity cancel - then you can see what your options are at that time as far as lifting and shifting or refund or FCC.

2 hours ago, Fouremco said:

The person to whom I was responding was talking about the threat to himself, not the threat he might pose to others. You are looking at it from the opposite perspective, and I agree fully with you. As seniors, we are very conscious of our potential vulnerability, as are our kids and grandkids. Thanksgiving was the first time that we haven't celebrated a major holiday together as a family.

Why don't you fly down to Arizona and celebrate our Thanksgiving with me and my DW.  Just us in the house for weeks.  Easy to socially distance and eat outside on the patio.  Might be a bit warmer than Ontario too.

1 hour ago, yorky said:

It’s worth noting at this point that we are beginning to learn more about “ long Covid” regardless of age. My mother in law died from probable Covid in a care home and both my brother in law and sister in law caught it in April. They were both hospitalised and both still have problems, my brother in law is just back at work but has probably lung damage, my sister in law now suffers from confusion. I was in contact with a guy that made national news when he caught it in Vietnam, he was a pilot with them and I think in his 40s. He described his health now as walking like a geriatric and has developed an ear problem so bad he feels he will never fly as a pilot again. It’s certainly a personal choice what we do but worth being aware that regardless of age this thing can leave you with serious problems that could be life long. A risk worth taking for a two week vacation ?

Thank you.....I'm sorry for what this has done to your family.   So important that others share their 'story' re covid...it's a caution for sure.  I'm wondering how those who defended no mask, no distancing, don't worry this will pass in no time in the early days feel now that it's proven anyone can catch it and the effects sometimes could be worse than the infection itself.  A change of tune no doubt.

On 10/8/2020 at 7:06 PM, Arizona Wildcat said:

Just fine.  If a hurricane is about they simply avoid the storm track.  Would be fine cruising in January of 2022.  

Cruising to a private island or controlled port like Labadee - not interested.

Am guessing weather is your concern?

I can't ever remember a hurricane in the Caribbean in January.

We live in Florida and have been tracking storms since 1993, hurricane season is from June 1 until Nov 31. We have cruised in the Caribbean many times in January you have no worries, just nice weather.

Edited by MISTER 67

On 10/9/2020 at 4:08 PM, PTC DAWG said:

Stats sure have changed since Oct. 9th.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, MISTER 67 said:

I can't ever remember a hurricane in the Caribbean in January.

We live in Florida and have been tracking storms since 1993, hurricane season is from June 1 until Nov 31. We have cruised in the Caribbean many times in January you have no worries, just nice weather.

You missed my attempt at humor.  I commented on concerns for 2022 - not 2021.  

• Like 1