One Way to Copenhagen Restrictions

irishgal432

Long story short.  I used Delta miles to fly to ATL Copenhagen one way and CPH to ATL one way back Aug 2021.  The flight selections were much better this way and was able to get preferred flights.  However, I used the Delta visa requirement tool and it says it is not allowed.  I know alot of one way tickets do not allow entry, but Denmark wasn't on the list.  

Delta says due to Covid restrictions, that is in place for non admittance for us citizens.

I just wanted to see if anyone else has done one way to Cph from the US without a problem pre COVID?

1 hour ago, irishgal432 said:

I just wanted to see if anyone else has done one way to Cph from the US without a problem pre COVID?

I haven't, but often the issue with one way tickets is simply that they need to see that you do indeed have a return ticket to go home.  Whether it's on the same or a different reservation typically doesn't matter.  My guess here is that it's not so much that you have booked a one way ticket, but that entry into Denmark is restricted, at least for US pax, due to covid.

• Thanks 1

To Denmark specifically? No. But I have definitely done it to other Schengen countries, and usually what happens is I need to show proof (either electronically or printed) when I check in that I have a ticket out of Schengen (whether back home or somewhere else). Immigration often asks for that too. 

So, I agree that the current argument against it is likely Covid related. I wouldn't hesitate doing two one-way tickets, just have proof for the check-in agents and the immigration agents to prove you are planning to leave. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/9/2020 at 3:58 PM, irishgal432 said:

Thanks. I will print out my receipt and ticket instead of using just my phone. 

For ALL of my international travel, I print out both ticket confirmations AND the e-ticket receipt (two different things).  If the phone works, fine.  But I don't want to be a) dependent on a phone connection, b) dependent on the documents showing up properly and c) having the airline and airport accept the electronic forms.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

For ALL of my international travel, I print out both ticket confirmations AND the e-ticket receipt (two different things).  If the phone works, fine.  But I don't want to be a) dependent on a phone connection, b) dependent on the documents showing up properly and c) having the airline and airport accept the electronic forms.

Taking a screen shot that can be pulled up in photos usually works well for the issue of possibly not having a phone connection or if the email or airline app is freezing up.  Still helps to have paper copy in the event they balk at accepting an electronic form. 

On a similar note, I always have a paper copy of my boarding pass somewhere in my bag, but usually use the eboarding pass for convenience and likewise, take a screenshot of it...cell service is sometimes weak inside an airport terminal etc.  Usually the photo app opens quickly though!    Just another trick travelers can add to their bag of tricks to always have a plan B and sometimes even a plan C.

• Like 2

COVID-19 or airline doesn’t matter. You might be asked to prove that you have a return ticket for flight or cruise within 90 days.

I have done several reposition cruises to/from Asia or TA with a one way ticket to my start destination - never been a problem. Just showed the cruise or air tickets.

in order to avoid any problems I have always printed my ticket.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, hallasm said:

COVID-19 or airline doesn’t matter. You might be asked to prove that you have a return ticket for flight or cruise within 90 days.

I have done several reposition cruises to/from Asia or TA with a one way ticket to my start destination - never been a problem. Just showed the cruise or air tickets.

in order to avoid any problems I have always printed my ticket.

I was prepared to show a hotel confirmation once. Basically, I had a plan to do some work in Greece (Schengen) and then was planning to ride with a Greek colleague for the next work project in Turkey (non-Schengen). I wasn't flying, I wasn't taking a cruise, I wasn't even renting a car, so I had to make sure I had a hotel booked as evidence of my desire to continue out of Schengen-land should Greek authorities ask. Not perfect, they could still argue I could easily cancel that, but it was never asked for anyways. 

Edited by Zach1213

I just wanted to see if anyone else has done one way to Cph from the US without a problem pre COVID?

Yes, we had a party of four that did a one way flight to CPH from ORD last September without a problem.

pour return was from BUD.

15 minutes ago, jagoffee said:

I just wanted to see if anyone else has done one way to Cph from the US without a problem pre COVID?

Yes, we had a party of four that did a one way flight to CPH from ORD last September without a problem.

pour return was from BUD.

Was it actually two separate one-way tickets, or an "open jaws" ORD-CPH/BUD-ORD? 

5 hours ago, jagoffee said:

Since both segments had the same confirmation number, I would say it was an “open jaw”.

It is the airline obligation to check your return journey when flying to a country where visa required. If you have the return ticket at the same reservation the airline will know and not ask additional questions . If at a different reservation or as in my situation a cruise you will be asked to show your return ticket. 

11 hours ago, jagoffee said:

Since both segments had the same confirmation number, I would say it was an “open jaw”.

Definitely open jaws, not technically a one-way. As mentioned, airlines will see that when you check in and just treat it essentially like a roundtrip. Immigration could still ask for proof that you're leaving, but that's always a maybe. It's always interesting to go through immigration at the same time as my wife but through different agents (or the same agent but not together) and see if we get asked for the same stuff or not. 

If I were you, I would order or make a card that you are not Covid positive. I heard its cheaper to make in Europe than in the USA. In any case we will have to follow all these strict rules these. This is a reality we live in today 

12 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

If I were you, I would order or make a card that you are not Covid positive. I heard its cheaper to make in Europe than in the USA. In any case we will have to follow all these strict rules these. This is a reality we live in today 

You're telling me you can role up to Danish immigration with a US passport and some "I don't have Covid, I swear" card and they'll let you in? 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Roger88 said:

As of now, rapid tests are readily available where I live. I would think in the future the Atlanta airport will be offering rapid tests pre boarding. We are not going until August of next year.