Bahamas cruises for FL residents only?

2 minutes ago, Crazy planning mom said:

The Quantum is scheduled to resume sailing in December in Singapore only for Singaporeans.

Could Royal restart Bahamas cruises in December but limit sailings initially to residents of Florida?

It will depend on what the CDC allows.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Crazy planning mom said:

I know about the no sail order.

My question is whether Royal Caribbean can limit initial sailings to Florida residents?

Like I said, that would be up to the CDC to put that restriction.  Why would Royal add restrictions that they don’t  need to. Maybe instead of Florida the CDC limits it to US citizens as other countries have. 

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Like I said, that would be up to the CDC to put that restriction.  Why would Royal add restrictions that they don’t  need to. Maybe instead of Florida the CDC limits it to US citizens as other countries have. 

If the resumption of cruising is permitted, what would be the rationale for restricting who could go?

18 minutes ago, Crazy planning mom said:

The Quantum is scheduled to resume sailing in December in Singapore only for Singaporeans.

Could Royal restart Bahamas cruises in December but limit sailings initially to residents of Florida?

That would piss me off royally, pun intended. Even if I didnt want to fly to florida, I'd be mad to be told I couldn't. 

• Like 3

Possible but it's hard to extrapolate Singapore which is a sovereign republic and extend that concept to a state (Florida) within a country.

In limiting to residents of a sovereign nation they eliminate the complex task of dealing with repatriations if an outbreak occurs.  In an outbreak Singapore might consider refusing their return to port because there are foreign nationals on board.  When it's all Singaporeans it's more difficult for Singapore to refuse its own citizens to return home.

Having said the Florida government already refused a ship to return initially because it had non-Floridians on it.  I'm not sure if that would hold up long term in a court or if the CDC as a federal agency can place restrictions of an interstate nature. 

I think I've read only Congress can impose restrictions on interstate travel and commerce but maybe the CDC has the power to restrict interstate travel for public health purposes.  

It's a moot point for me, I'm not flying any time soon so a travel ban on non-state- residents makes no difference to me.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

If the resumption of cruising is permitted, what would be the rationale for restricting who could go?

So the=US healthcare system does not have to deal with non citizens who may become infected or bring more cases of Covid to the US.   OST of the other cruiselines that have started up are only offering sailings for residents of the country of departure. 

I would say Galveston then should only allow Texans to be fair, except this fall seems to be one hurricane after another. I'm booked next year sept 11, 2021 and already thinking, ... what was I thinking.

Delta so far highest winds in Galveston, though shifting to the east. Galveston is just south of Houston on this map.

20201009_123647705.jpeg

Edited by firefly333

MSC is only allowing passengers from schegen countries and as covid spikes are happening in those countries they are requiring passengers to take a test up to 3 or 5 days before they arrive at port for test to terminal.

I dont see us cruises allowing europeans or others to fly here for the beginning  of our sailings.

26 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

So the=US healthcare system does not have to deal with non citizens who may become infected or bring more cases of Covid to the US.   OST of the other cruiselines that have started up are only offering sailings for residents of the country of departure. 

OK.  This is a big circular argument anyway.  What if I have oodles of health insurance in the event I get ill and need to be treated in a US hospital?  The response is.... we don’t want to overload our system with non-US citizens.  It the health care system is so close to capacity that they’re reluctant to take the chance on admitting a few aliens, why are the ships being permitted to move at all, Floridians, Iowans or Americans?  Seems pretty evident to me that the situation is absolutely not ready for mass transit of travellers, especially cruise ship travellers.

Edited by d9704011
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Crazy planning mom said:

No but the point would be to limit the passengers to those who could drive there.

Currently, that would stop me although I can fly to Miami or Fort Lauderdale if I want to.  Setting that aside, cruisers who are starved for a three-day adventure to the Bahamas (if they’ll even accept the ship) can hop in their Chevrolet and drive to Florida in two or three days.

43 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Or US residents, can't exclude those legal immigrants. 😉 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

That would piss me off royally, pun intended. Even if I didn't want to fly to florida, I'd be mad to be told I couldn't. 

Perhaps as part of the limited start they could include Texas residents for Galveston departures.

10 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

Currently, that would stop me although I can fly to Miami or Fort Lauderdale if I want to.  Setting that aside, cruisers who are starved for a three-day adventure to the Bahamas (if they’ll even accept the ship) can hop in their Chevrolet and drive to Florida in two or three days.

I drive a Ford... Am I allowed to go?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3