Month and direction

smd247

I think I've settled on a February, Sydney to Auckland. The itineraries are VERY similar but the one I chose has just a little more time in some of the ports. I plan on spending a day or two in both Sydney and Auckland, would love to do more but only have so much vacation time. Thank you for your response and if you have any tips I'd be glad to hear them.

What a small world! We live in Dewey, only a few miles from Prescott Valley! We have a Sydney to Sydney 12-night on the Eclipse booked in December, 2021. We love to cruise and have used Celebrity many times. Hope to meet up with you in the future. Happy Sailing!

ChaChing!

• Like 1

February is summer. Auckland is cooler than Sydney, so all else being equal Auckland to Sydney may be better.

the later you are there the cooler NZ will be. The earlier you are in Sydney the hotter it is likely to be.

Unfortunately, unless one is already in NZ or Oz, I would say the odds are extremely heavily stacked against a cruise in the next half year or so. The entire Aus/NZ cruise season is looking very iffy, to say the least. For info on border crossing into Oz check here:

https://covid19.homeaffairs.gov.au/

Sorry to be a downer, but before mass vaccination, I doubt Australia will be accessible for non-residents/citizens. I imagine the same goes for NZ. We will have an NZ-Aus travel bubble working before the end of 2020 *fingers crossed* but more than that it very unlikely any time soon. Western Australia (where I live) is even more closed off to outsiders.

3 hours ago, smd247 said:

I have no illusions of doing this anytime soon, I'm looking at 2023 😉.

As far as I can tell, the weather for February in Sydney is 80ish that doesn't seem too bad.

February in Sydney is likely to be very hot and humid as well whic aren't the best conditions for sight seeing unless you are planning on spending your time at the beaches.

As suggested above, the later you can be in Sydney the better it will be, weather wise.

Leigh

• Like 1

On 10/17/2020 at 3:25 AM, smd247 said:

As far as I can tell, the weather for February in Sydney is 80ish that doesn't seem too bad.

That sounds like an average. As with all averages, half will be above that and half below. That said, only a couple of days are likely to be above 90 degrees.

I assume you are looking at 2022 or later.  That being said we did Celebrity Sydney to Aukland starting on January 5 in 2016.

• We flew on Dec 31 and effectively missed New Years Eve because we were in the air when we flew over the dateline and it was suddenly Jan 1.
  • Jan 1 being a holiday a lot of stuff was shut down and of course we missed the Sydney bridge fireworks.  We stayed at the Holiday Inn Old Sydney and it would have been a great view except the Hotel fare would have been through the roof.
  • It was great to be able to walk across the street to board the ship.
  • We did the Milford -> Queenstown -> Dunedin overnight and loved it.
  • Weather was great the whole time - some small showers but that was it.  You just don't know.
  • We spent about 5 pre days in Sydney and got an OPAL transit card to see the city.

We were planning on doing the bottom end circumnavigation this next March but we fully expect it to be cancelled and unfortunately there is no 2022 equivalent.