The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

2 hours ago, ljandgb said:

If there were a SoM singalong anywhere around me, my kids would die of mortification.  I'd be loud and proud, if only for all the great childhood memories.  I'd love a SoM tour.

I have attended sing-along Sound of Music showings a few times now. They are hokey, but a lot of fun. I sing along to most musicals when I watch at home, but I do live alone. (I've also been to sing-along Mamma Mia! and sing-along Hairspray.)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gnome12 said:

I have attended sing-along Sound of Music showings a few times now. They are hokey, but a lot of fun. I sing along to most musicals when I watch at home, but I do live alone. (I've also been to sing-along Mamma Mia! and sing-along Hairspray.)

It never occurred to me there were singalong shows!  I totally need to search one out.  Surely in Houston or Austin.  One day.  After the pandemic...

23 minutes ago, ljandgb said:

It never occurred to me there were singalong shows!  I totally need to search one out.  Surely in Houston or Austin.  One day.  After the pandemic...

I have done a Mama Mia on a cruise ship. That was fun..... Probably the only 2x I have sung with others in 30 years.

45 minutes ago, ljandgb said:

The Berlin Wall?  That is a marker where it was?  

Just guessing.  I saw it when it was still a wall in the late '80's.

That is correct, we were there in 2012 on an excursion from a Baltic cruise. Excursions are also offered going to Berlin when on an Elbe river cruise.

Here is the complete picture we took.

Your turn @ljandgb.

Theo

P1110204.thumb.JPG.d8d380be5f2635542f444571cda1ce92.JPG

Mama Mia would be fun too. I’m not a huge public singer but could make an exception for good musicals. 

Let’s try this. I think it will be easy. Long week, so I’m going to bed early. I’ll check in morning to see how quickly someone gets the right answer. 

78FF29DD-DBBC-402F-88B6-20D47397CE25.jpeg

4 hours ago, Renmar said:

That is correct, we were there in 2012 on an excursion from a Baltic cruise. Excursions are also offered going to Berlin when on an Elbe river cruise.

Here is the complete picture we took.

Your turn @ljandgb.

Theo

In fact, most Elbe cruise programmes start or end in Berlin, reaching the Elbe either by ship on a canal or by bus. Thank you for bringing back some memories to the city, where I lived in the 80ies, seeing the wall coming down.

Did a culture trip during upper school years to Berlin. Great theatre performances and had to do the WWIi sights of course as part of my education. Would have preferred even more museums. Unfortunately could not go on a Spree boat ride.

Paris Centre Pompidou would normally be far too modern for me, but the architecture is so ingeniously different, when you are in Paris I recommend seeing it. Been up those escalators, too.

Berlin is also an embarkation port for CroisiEurope, both to the West and the East of Europe!

notamermaid

9 hours ago, gnome12 said:

Pompidou Centre, Paris, Seine River.

I was supposed to go on a Transatlantic cruise, then European cruise that would have ended up in Paris and spent 3 nights in Paris for my big birthday last April. Alas, it didn't happen. I have yet to go to Paris. I did realize that 3 nights was not enough when I was researching Paris. I sort of knew that going in but I was going to be gone a month and couldn't be gone any longer.

Edited by Coral

Love that, gnome12. Something like a 12 hour wait? I have 6.40pm here, so not sure.

Who has been waiting in the background? Come on, those out there grab the chance and post a photo, join us. If you are not sure anymore, the rules are in post #2701.

notamermaid

May I go off on a tangent to the rules? Just this once?

I would appreciate someone telling me what this building is, because I can't remember. 

It is located along the Moselle within 26km of Koblenz on the north side.  We did a bike tour and I took no notes, just photos.   We stopped to hear about this building, so it might be important. 

Thanks,

Ri 

IMG_3601.JPG

• Like 1

As the game goes on it seems to be getting harder for people to find pictures to post, so [if @notamermaid agrees of course] this sounds like an interesting side channel for the game.  Many of us must have pictures that we can no longer identify, and where better to get the answers the right here?

But I can't help with this one...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ritabob said:

It is located along the Moselle within 26km of Koblenz on the north side.

Oh my goodness, I think I have just posted something in the Moselle thread that fits or almost fits! I will check this out.

3 hours ago, gnome12 said:

It is hard to set a hard and fast time, but I didn’t want to get into time zone conversions. 

Righty ho. Just wondering. No no conversion, we do not want to be strict.

Anyway, I would prefer to stick to the basic rules. Photo on river, etc.

If you think it fits but are not sure because you cannot remember where it is exactly, that is fine.

1 hour ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Many of us must have pictures that we can no longer identify, and where better to get the answers the right here?

As canal archive said, we have done this a few times and I am fine with the idea if it seems to resemble something near a river (or canal) for river cruising.

So we are already on the next photo, see Ritabob's above. All fine I would say. And she has not posted one for a while I think...

Anyway, I think I have an idea. Look around with me, I think I am close with my post on Kobern-Gondorf as said above, but I need to see to household and then am off to bed. google street view along the embankment may work with this one.

Have fun folks, no rush with posting or finding suitable photos. :classic_smile:

notamermaid

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

As the game goes on it seems to be getting harder for people to find pictures to post, so [if @notamermaid agrees of course] this sounds like an interesting side channel for the game.  Many of us must have pictures that we can no longer identify, and where better to get the answers the right here?

But I can't help with this one...

I think people here have plenty of pictures. I also think we have pictures we can't identify.

Some know where the pics are but are letting others guess so they can post pics.

I say go on with the game. If someone posts a picture they don't know - I am sure someone here will be able to identify it.

Edited by Coral