The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

Such a spot is inviting to place something there, isn't it? Immediately the centre of attention. I also think the hub cap story makes sense. I wonder if anybody has had the idea of giving these guys masks yet?

notamermaid

• Like 1

OK i think it is my turn again. This picture was taken somewhere during our land tour in 2002. I know it is close to a river but having one of my frequent senior moments I have no idea where so if anybody can help me out you will be allowed 😉 to post the next picture.

Town & river please.

Theo1446667586_0294(2).jpg.d89dca949145d80d1944616fceddec46.jpg

Uphill, small, windy, with set stone, vine over the street and Café Hotel Garni. I would put this on the Moselle but I do not remember ever having seen this. It is not distinctive enough. However, there is lettering over the doorway and along the house on the left that indicates a long-standing family business, if someone knows how to alter this to show it better we may get closer to the solution.

It could also be the Rhine but I do not think it is Rüdesheim. Have you ever been to the Wachau? Might it be on the Danube? Less likely for me but I will not rule it out if you have been there.

notamermaid

18 minutes ago, dogs4fun said:

I searched for Hotel Garni Cafe & happened upon Klapperburg Hotel in Beilstein - just dumb luck. 😊

I have not been there BTW.

If correct, it will be a wild card.

Oh my, very good. Renmar will hopefully confirm that it is the one, it really looks correct.

Beilstein is a lovely place, but do not go there on a Sunday afternoon, full of day trippers. It has not been a hidden gem since Heinz Rühmann made it famous in 1936 (in a German film classic).

notamermaid

@dogs4fun You are right. It is slowly coming back and after discussing it with my DW we are now sure it is Beilstein. We took a daytrip on one of the ships plying the Moselle and afterwards stayed overnight in Beilstein. I think it was hotel Klapperburg but not 100% sure. We only could park the car close to the river and we just had to walk up the hill to the hotel where we stayed in de annex.

Looking at all the pictures again we want to go back there. Hoping & dreaming.

So a wildcard it is.

Theo 

Now that you say it - you do have many street lamps in photos. ☺️ This is a particularly nice photo. You first look at the massive lamp in the foreground only to realize seconds later that there is this iconic bridge in the background!

I have seen this one on photos - the bridge, that is - but do not recall where it is.

notamermaid

PS: sent my post seconds after AnhalterER1960's post. I rarely look at photo names...

Edited by notamermaid
Added PS

I too have seen this bridge - reminds me of bridges I've seen in Italy. If I am not mistaken, its name is misleading because it is actually made of brick. I don't recall the modern building seen in the distance. Looking around on Google street view, it appears to be an apartment complex?

I don't check the names of images either @notamermaid but after AnhaltER1960's post I did have a look. I still don't see how the photo's name would narrow the field down to this particular bridge. Am I missing something?

Edited by dogs4fun

Cruise ship captains have to have special qualifications to navigate this bridge. One arch has extra protection around it as Airbus parts (wings) are barged through it but Airbus will not let cruise ships use that particular arch. CA

where do you see the name?

Edited by Canal archive

I remember the bridge location now. I checked the name online and "stone bridge" does not narrow it down unless it is the proper name of the bridge rather than any stone bridge. I cannot see the name either on my smartphone, probably because I do not know the command.

They might have named the bridge after the fact that is the first bridge of stone over the river - you need to note that according to Wikipedia Pierre can refer to masonry, i.e. brick as well. Just a guess with the naming but there is an analogy for streets in England. There is a stone street in Kent which is a Roman road i.e. stone paved rather than a muddy Medieval path.

If you have only one bridge you may name it after what it looks like rather than calling it "King somethingorother bridge". You might of course have a king that insists on his name...

Anyway, it is in France - not saying the French name.

notamermaid

Ha, good eye on the filename, but it's just the name of the cruise / trip that the photo comes from. I had to post from my phone because I'm at work. Usually I change the name and remove the captions and location data before posting, but can't do that on the phone.

Still, it's not in either of the cities that appear in the filename.

If you download the photo though, the GPS tag is still there. And also a caption, which would exactly identify it. That's what I usually scrub from my photos before I post them.

Edited by jpalbny

5 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

Ha, good eye on the filename, but it's just the name of the cruise / trip that the photo comes from. I had to post from my phone because I'm at work. Usually I change the name and remove the captions and location data before posting, but can't do that on the phone.

Still, it's not in either of the cities that appear in the filename.

(...)

True, it needed a second step. But the filename gave away, in which part of your blog to take a further look. And, yes, you took quite a detour instead of the direct way. Was the first time btw., that the filename gave a clue.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AnhaltER1960 said:

And, yes, you took quite a detour instead of the direct way.

Indeed you are right about that. This was the trip where we had to drive from Nice to Paris, because the TGV trip was canceled due to a strike - what else? It was a fun way to spend a day...