The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

1 hour ago, dogs4fun said:

You know boats, CA. I have no clue. 🤓

I think he is talking about the wing of an Airbus 380, not the boat.

I also think we all know where this bridge is so who is going to call it?

Theo

Theo

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It was a surreal moment the Airbus wings are built at Foulton just outside of Bristol about 40 minutes from us our neighbour has just retired from there he’s an engineer and told us this happened before our cruise, we were so lucky to actually witness it. CA

People in Saxony, Eastern Germany, speak a (as almost any other Germans say) funny dialect. They soften hard consonants like "P" to "B", "T" to "D", "K" to "G" and speak rather through the nose than mouth. Anyway, a couple of years ago a saxon woman booked a flight to Porto in a travel agency. The clerk, not accustumed to saxon dialect, understood Bordeaux (that sounds really similar), asking to reconfirm Bordeaux you want, yes, Porto (that sounded still veeery similar), and booked the ticket to Bordeaux. The case went to court, because the woman refused to pay, but had to.in the end. Now standard teaching material for law students as an example of a contract offer by one party and accepting by the other party.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, AnhaltER1960 said:

People in Saxony, Eastern Germany, speak a (as almost any other Germans say) funny dialect. They soften hard consonants like "P" to "B", "T" to "D", "K" to "G" and speak rather through the nose than mouth. Anyway, a couple of years ago a saxon woman booked a flight to Porto in a travel agency. The clerk, not accustumed to saxon dialect, understood Bordeaux (that sounds really similar), asking to reconfirm Bordeaux you want, yes, Porto (that sounded still veeery similar), and booked the ticket to Bordeaux. The case went to court, because the woman refused to pay, but had to.in the end. Now standard teaching material for law students as an example of a contract offer by one party and accepting by the other party.

At least they make nice wine at each of those destinations - though the table wine in Porto is much cheaper!

I am trying to teach myself some German and the consonants can get a bit tricky so I can totally see this happening.

Good anecdote vis-à-vis my picture... 😉

Edited by jpalbny

4 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

I am trying to teach myself some German and the consonants can get a bit tricky so I can totally see this happening.

How nice. Have you been able to master the G, J and Y difference yet? That takes a bit of getting used to. Deutsche Welle has got some nice lessons online/youtube.

notamermaid

1 minute ago, notamermaid said:

How nice. Have you been able to master the G, J and Y difference yet? That takes a bit of getting used to. Deutsche Welle has got some nice lessons online/youtube.

notamermaid

Duolingo is very forgiving and usually marks me as "close enough" on my prononciation. I have not tried speaking to an actual German speaker yet... Might be amusing (to them)!

• Like 1

Not to worry, I am sure it will be fine and we always appreciate the effort. Problem is that you may encounter an eager German who wants to practice his English on you. It has been known to happen. :classic_biggrin:

I do not know Duolingo, is that online learning?

notamermaid

Yes, Duolingo is a free online learning site. I’ve used it for years, partly to keep my brain cells working! I learned a tiny bit of Welsh and some German before traveling in Wales and Germany, but I’ve concentrated on French. I’m fairly fluent in Spanish and occasionally by mistake use a Spanish instead of French word. I’m also watching the comedy “Dix pour Cent” or “Call My Agent” on Netflix. It’s subtitled in English but I enjoy understanding more and more of the French as I continue watching it.

• Like 1

My husband learnt German on an intensive one to one and then over the phone course evidently his restaurant German is fantastic his business not so much but he still has it. I have picked up various different words and phrases from several different languages and once in a Paris department store managed to use at least four if not five in a conversation with a member of staff, she was not impressed but I got the item I was after.

Bordeaux beautiful wine but a good Port beats it every time, have you tried the pink? CA 

Over all this talking about the obvious, nobody has actually said it is the Pont a Pierre over the Garonne river in Bordeaux! A very attractive example of early 19th century bridge building.

@jpalbny sorry, I was hoping somebody in the background might have liked to join. So, assuming I am correct 😉 I will hand over to @Canal archive for this typical Parisian scene (apart from that weird head sculpture).

You said you wanted to go from Nice to Paris. How did you happen to do a half-countrywide detour via Bordeaux?

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
Added info
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AnhaltER1960 said:

France. And I can read "Mahler", which points to Institue Simone Mahler, a nationwide chain of beauty salons. But before browsing all their branches, looking for that statue might be more straight forward.

Sorry to quote myself. But where did I write Paris ? 🙂 France is more than Paris, from what Ive learnt.

24 minutes ago, AnhaltER1960 said:

Sorry to quote myself. But where did I write Paris ? 🙂 France is more than Paris, from what Ive learnt.

My apologies,  the brain or the eyes, somewhere along the line of computing got this quite clearly wrong.

I have a suspicion that a few Parisians think Paris is France... For me there is France and this thing called Paris. 😉 

Anyway still think this looks Haussmann style, but is clearly a different city.

notamermaid

2 hours ago, notamermaid said:

Over all this talking about the obvious, nobody has actually said it is the Pont a Pierre over the Garonne river in Bordeaux! A very attractive example of early 19th century bridge building.

@jpalbny sorry, I was hoping somebody in the background might have liked to join. So, assuming I am correct 😉 I will hand over to @Canal archive for this typical Parisian scene (apart from that weird head sculpture).

You said you wanted to go from Nice to Paris. How did you happen to do a half-countrywide detour via Bordeaux?

notamermaid

Yes, I too was hoping someone would jump in but alas, not to be. 

We did a cruise from Tower Bridge (London) to Nice back in 2010. One of our stops was Bordeaux. Since we were on a small ship (Silver Cloud), we were able to dock right in the city of Bordeaux, so this picture is taken from a spot near where we docked.

We had an afternoon, an overnight stay, and the next morning. We rented a car and went to St-Emilion that first afternoon/evening (I posted a picture earlier from that excursion), and then Sauternes the next morning. Such fun!

Back then, we had not yet been to Paris. So we planned that when the cruise ended in Nice, we'd take the TGV to Paris for a few days. I booked a very nice hotel with points, but the day before the cruise ended, we learned that a strike was planned for the day of our arrival. So when we got to the train station, of course our train trip was canceled.

So, I rented a car and we drove all the way from Nice to Paris. There was no way that I wanted to lose that hotel reservation, or the chance to see Paris! It was a direct journey, about 10 hours behind the wheel, with no side trips to Bordeaux. But we made it and had a great time in Paris!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, jpalbny said:

Good anecdote vis-à-vis my picture... 😉

@jpalbny, I've been doing the same through Duolingo.  I have one set of parents who are Swiss, and speak German...he says I'm not doing to badly with the pronunciation.    One of our "goals" is to take a month and travel by train to areas in Germany and Austria.  We loved what we saw on our Rhine cruise.  Just trying to get the basics in so I can make myself (partially) understood.

Edited by Daisi
  • Like 2