The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

Good pic; I cannot locate it in my mind.

The water-horses make me pretty sure it's a Neptune Fountain/Neptunbrunnen, or perhaps one of Triton. But every city in Europe seems to have one of those. There's one in Berlin, one in Munich's Old Botanical Garden, one in Salzburg - just off the top of my head. It's not one of those as best I can tell from my photos.

It looks like there are multiple levels of galleries from where one can overlook the fountain, some at street level and some below. There are nice outdoor dining spaces so it's probably a nice square. I do not remember a fountain with such an arrangement of multi-level galleries but it looks like a lovely place to spend some time. I'm hoping that it's a place I have not visited so I'm not embarrassed by missing it...and so that I can add it to my to-do list!

Edited by jpalbny

OK I feel better. Found it and I have never been here. Plus you took a very creative picture, probably with a zoom lens because the horses are pretty far from the two large buildings. Your zoom lens compressed the distance, making them appear closer. When I wandered this park using Google street view, I had to go clear to the other side to find the horses, then angle back and zoom in to duplicate your shot. Nicely composed!

And I'm wrong; it has nothing to do with Neptune. Scratch that.

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

OK I feel better. Found it and I have never been here. Plus you took a very creative picture, probably with a zoom lens because the horses are pretty far from the two large buildings. Your zoom lens compressed the distance, making them appear closer. When I wandered this park using Google street view, I had to go clear to the other side to find the horses, then angle back and zoom in to duplicate your shot. Nicely composed!

And I'm wrong; it has nothing to do with Neptune. Scratch that.

Thanks. I just snapped it with my simple Canon Power Shot, using its zoom. . Right, no Neptune here.

1 hour ago, jpalbny said:

I agree. A different angle would have given the picture away easily as far as what country.

• Thanks 1

First I thought it was a quadriga but the arrangement looks more like three horses. The street lamps look European but the buildings do not fit into France. They look a bit monumental, I  am placing this more towards Eastern Europe, perhaps even Russia?

notamermaid

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dogs4fun said:

Clever photo @jklc123 - your photo depicts three horses whereas this fountain is actually comprised of four horses that symbolize the four seasons. Interesting factoid: the annual opening of the fountains in this city begin at this particular fountain.

I didn’t know that about the annual opening.

So several people know the fountain. I thought I’d wake up this morning with the answer posted.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, jklc123 said:

So several people know the fountain. I thought I’d wake up this morning with the answer posted.

I think we all know the answer but are waiting for that elusive person who is thinking about joining the game. 

Lets give that person a little more time and they will come aboard.

Theo

• Like 2

4 hours ago, dogs4fun said:

Clever photo @jklc123 - your photo depicts three horses whereas this fountain is actually comprised of four horses that symbolize the four seasons. Interesting factoid: the annual opening of the fountains in this city begin at this particular fountain.

I didn't know about the seasons and the annual opening of the fountains until yesterday when I read about it. Sometimes one just walks by and observes a beautiful fountain.

12 minutes ago, jklc123 said:

Yes, thanks! It’s at the edge of the Alexander Gardens, next to the Kremlin.

My picture of this has some of the Kremlin in the background, so a slightly different angle.

31 minutes ago, dogs4fun said:

I really don't think there are many lurkers on this thread - at least there appear to be none that chime in when given the chance. 🥺

I know; it's a shame. Would love to see some lurkers chime in but they have been hard to find.

OK, where is this? And what is it? Quite an unusual assortment of objects in this photo, I think.

1764188287_CCPic32.thumb.JPG.6eb997db89ca457c3673081125c50391.JPG

Edited by jpalbny