The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

2 minutes ago, capriccio said:

Dogs4fun gives excellent clues 😁

I did recognize him (I love Monet) but as everyone here knows - I haven't been to France! When I was in Vienna, there was an amazing Monet exhibit at the Albertina. 

I was trying to google Monet sculptures when you posted.

Edited by Coral

Definitely on the Asian continent or nearby. I am not familiar with the rivers and cruises there, I would say not Vietnam.

The lady has about my figure and nice essential clothing she is offering there. Wouldn't mind having a look around and trying something on.

notamermaid 

Hmmm ....

Could the young woman be Thai or Cambodian? Her dress looks like the traditional silk pattern found in these countries. Might you be in Bangkok, Phnom Penh or thereabouts?

Otherwise, no clue.

Edited by dogs4fun

5 hours ago, dogs4fun said:

Hmmm ....

Could the young woman be Thai or Cambodian? Her dress looks like the traditional silk pattern found in these countries. Might you be in Bangkok, Phnom Penh or thereabouts?

Otherwise, no clue.

Neither of those countries. But nearby.

9 hours ago, notamermaid said:

Definitely on the Asian continent or nearby. I am not familiar with the rivers and cruises there, I would say not Vietnam.

The lady has about my figure and nice essential clothing she is offering there. Wouldn't mind having a look around and trying something on.

notamermaid 

You are correct it is not Vietnam, but nearby.

50 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

Myanmar, Irrawaddy River?

I am indeed on the Irrawaddy River in Myanmar, a country I would love to return to - so glad I was able to visit when I did.Over to you.

I'll take the wild card.  This may be really tough [but with you guys, that rarely proves true!].  It is something that you could see on an excursion from a river cruise.  Not one that I have taken, and not one that very many people on this forum have probably taken, but a genuine river cruise.

Name the river and location.

1.jpg

Looks like French Renaissance architecture. I guess it is somewhere inside a castle/chateaux in the center of France. If that is correct I would say either the Saone, or Loire river valleys. Have to do some more searching to get the name of the place.

Theo

21 minutes ago, dogs4fun said:

I believe it is a salamander. 🙂

Oh, yes, thanks. My memory had failed me there. But it did come back to me earlier that I had seen the ceiling in a documentary on the castle. The TV programme mainly focused on the double helix staircase. I am a fan of spiral staircases you know...

It is Chateau Chambord in the Loire valley.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
Grammar
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, notamermaid said:

It is Chateau Chambord in the Loire valley.

When I woke up this morning (which is a good thing, the alternative sucks) the answer was already there. After some more searching it is indeed the spiral staircase that is the famous part of this Chateaux. Here is a picture as shown on Wikipedia.

1011928609_SpiralstaircaseatChateauxChambord.thumb.jpg.f19151107285646e777c2de913f39afa.jpg

Theo

Thanks for the photo, Theo. I am afraid, I just have too much time on my hands to watch lots of documentaries and the info sticks - most of the time, kind of worked here, it is getting a  bit more difficult to retain...

Waiting for confirmation from @Host Jazzbeau

Meanwhile, a bit more info: https://www.chambord.org/en/

Jazzbeau, I am envious. :classic_biggrin: Did you get some wine from the winery?

notamermaid

10 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I chose this River in response to her wishlist of rivers not yet covered here!

Thank you. :classic_smile:

I am afraid this one is a more straightforward, standard choice. As we celebrate Easter Monday here, have a look at this photo with some slightly abstract Easter decorations. Please guess the river that you would cruise on to see this place and the name of the village, yes, I would like you to go through the "grand tour of villages" in this area in your head to find the right one:DSCN2077.thumb.JPG.e2e63e7b0312e2b87935a731d3784937.JPG

notamermaid

25 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

Thank you. :classic_smile:

I am afraid this one is a more straightforward, standard choice. As we celebrate Easter Monday here, have a look at this photo with some slightly abstract Easter decorations. Please guess the river that you would cruise on to see this place and the name of the village, yes, I would like you to go through the "grand tour of villages" in this area in your head to find the right one:DSCN2077.thumb.JPG.e2e63e7b0312e2b87935a731d3784937.JPG

notamermaid

Riquewihr, France, an excursion from the Rhine.  Here is my Easter photo of the same place.

IMG_8891.JPG

• Like 2