The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

:classic_biggrin: I am flabbergasted! :classic_biggrin: I certainly did not expect that! It is indeed Riquewihr in Alsace, one of the villages typical of a tour around the wine-growing area. The photo is of the outer side of the village after you have walked through the upper town gate. From there we went to a vintner's, interrupted his lunch and bought some Edelzwicker wine.

The decoration is certainly nicer in your photo. @acwmom which year did you go? We were there in 2019.

Over to you.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid

3 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

:classic_biggrin: I am flabbergasted! :classic_biggrin: I certainly did not expect that! It is indeed Riquewihr in Alsace, one of the villages typical of a tour around the wine-growing area. The photo is of the outer side of the village after you have walked through the upper town gate. From there we went to a vintner's, interrupted his lunch and bought some Edelzwicker wine.

The decoration is certainly nicer in your photo. @acwmom which year did you go? We were there in 2019.

Over to you.

notamermaid

The year before, in 2018!

11 minutes ago, Coral said:

I am trying to figure out if the flag is attached to a building behind the bridge.

Oh, interesting thought. Cannot tell at all on my smartphone screen.

Have fun guessing, everyone, good night, till tomorrow. ☺️

notamermaid

The bottom flag looks very much like the state flag of Ohio. So I googled suspension bridges in Ohio and looked for the oldest one that's still standing. Also knowing where Robin lives I'd say this is a suspension bridge between Kentucky and Ohio.

The John A. Roebling suspension bridge over the Ohio River (linking Cincinnati OH and Covington KY) is old and historic so it's a likely candidate for her to post. And I found a picture of it which matches up pretty well. So that's my final answer.

This was the longest suspension bridge in the world when it was opened in 1866, until Roebling built the Brooklyn Bridge 20-some years later. Looks like a fun place to visit - Robin, do you give tours?

Edited by jpalbny

What fooled me is the "Drop sheet" hanging from it. I thought it was an original part of the pillars, never thought about that the picture probably was taken during some kind of maintenance. 

Theo

1 hour ago, Coral said:

John A Roebling Suspension Bridge in Cincinnati, Ohio?

Ohio River....?

1 hour ago, jpalbny said:

The bottom flag looks very much like the state flag of Ohio. So I googled suspension bridges in Ohio and looked for the oldest one that's still standing. Also knowing where Robin lives I'd say this is a suspension bridge between Kentucky and Ohio.

The John A. Roebling suspension bridge over the Ohio River (linking Cincinnati OH and Covington KY) is old and historic so it's a likely candidate for her to post. And I found a picture of it which matches up pretty well. So that's my final answer.

This was the longest suspension bridge in the world when it was opened in 1866, until Roebling built the Brooklyn Bridge 20-some years later. Looks like a fun place to visit - Robin, do you give tours?

Coral, yes. The Roebling Suspension Bridge, between CIncinnati and Covington, KY. The bottom flag is the OH flag. They have been doing repair work, this the large tarp. 
In addition to JP’s wonderful summary, it is known locally as the “singing” bridge. And I’m happy to give tours-there’s a brewery nearby, wineries a little further south, and bourbon a little south of them!
https://www.evocativesound.com/rumble-of-the-john-a-roebling-suspension-bridge/

Over to you, Coral!

• Like 1

That bridge was the longest suspension bridge in the world at the time of construction. 

John Roebling, a German immigrant, was an incredible engineer who also designed the Brooklyn Bridge.  He died very early in the construction process but his son, Washington, oversaw completion of the bridge.  I highly recommend David McCullough's The Great Bridge: The Epic Story of the Building of the Brooklyn Bridge for both the story of his life and the incredible engineering feat spanning the East River with a suspension bridge in the late 1870s and 1880 (it took 14 years to complete).

• Like 2

Thanks, Coral - I actually saw that your post appeared first so I went to sleep thinking I'd wake up to your post this morning.

Here is one. Name the location, city, and river where I saw this ceiling.

I left a subtle clue in the picture which should be recognizable if you've been there. I cropped some to try to make it less obvious. I know you ringers out there will get this in a few minutes anyway.

2038065490_CCPic33.thumb.jpg.98844ad30b53832bcb03fbb7c1574170.jpg

• Like 1

The Brooklyn Bridge is also interesting from a medical perspective - at least to me... The physician in charge was the first to use the term "caisson disease" to describe decompression sickness. Though this phenomenon had been observed previously, this was the first "medical" term for the disease. So "the bends" were around long before scuba diving was a thing.

7 hours ago, capriccio said:

That bridge was the longest suspension bridge in the world at the time of construction. 

John Roebling, a German immigrant, was an incredible engineer who also designed the Brooklyn Bridge.  He died very early in the construction process but his son, Washington, oversaw completion of the bridge.  I highly recommend David McCullough's The Great Bridge: The Epic Story of the Building of the Brooklyn Bridge for both the story of his life and the incredible engineering feat spanning the East River with a suspension bridge in the late 1870s and 1880 (it took 14 years to complete).

When looking at bridges - I thought it sort of looked like the Brooklyn Bridge.

23 minutes ago, Coral said:

When looking at bridges - I thought it sort of looked like the Brooklyn Bridge.

Now that you say I can see that too. I have looked at few photos of the Brooklyn Bridge, I am just not so familiar with it. Amazing engineering.

If you ever get to Edinburgh, I recommend going to to the Firth of Forth to see the bridges.

JP's photo: It looks a wooden painted ceiling with a chandelier fastening, the arches are Romanesque. The way they are painted and from the appearance of the ceiling I would say this is a Russian Orthodox church.

notamermaid

43 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

The Brooklyn Bridge is also interesting from a medical perspective - at least to me... The physician in charge was the first to use the term "caisson disease" to describe decompression sickness. Though this phenomenon had been observed previously, this was the first "medical" term for the disease. So "the bends" were around long before scuba diving was a thing.

The book discusses this in depth complete with illustrations.  Washington Roebling's health was permanently damaged by his repeated cases of the bends while working on the bridge.  I am neither an engineer nor a medical professional but I found the the description of the construction process mind-boggling and very well done so even a layman like me could understand it.  I lean more to historical interests and the family's story was also extremely well done.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

I have looked at few photos of the Brooklyn Bridge, I am just not so familiar with it. Amazing engineering.

If you ever get to Edinburgh, I recommend going to to the Firth of Forth to see the bridges.

JP's photo: It looks a wooden painted ceiling with a chandelier fastening, the arches are Romanesque. The way they are painted and from the appearance of the ceiling I would say this is a Russian Orthodox church.

The Brooklyn Bridge is a beautiful sight. We have walked it a few times. Our favorite Lower Manhattan hotel is within a few minutes of the bridge.

We drove some of those bridges over the Firth of Forth. Got stuck in traffic on the way back so had a good long look...

This is actually not an Orthodox church, nor is it Russian. A different region and religion.

43 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

Hm. Radio silence for a few hours. Time for a clue? I think this is a new river for this quiz.

Is this along the Dneiper?

I was thinking it maybe Ukranian when you posted the picture.

Not the Dnieper. A river that we haven't posted pix from at all, I'm pretty sure.

I can see why you might think Ukrainian from the intricate design. The location is not nearly so far east, but perhaps the influence for the design is.

Edited by jpalbny

2 hours ago, gnome12 said:

Spain, the Guadalquivir river.

I'm going to guess maybe the Great Mosque in Cordoba.

Gnome12, you have it! Although it's now a Catholic Cathedral, it was formerly the Grand Mosque of Cordoba, well over 1000 years old in parts.

Here is the full picture. I cropped it to include only a tiny bit of the famous red and white brick double arches. I figured that might make it too easy if I left all of them in the picture.

DSC_10K_4153.thumb.JPG.fac33bec00e6d986071931135acefa56.JPG

And another of the famous arches. It's a beautiful place; pretty unique (at least to me).

DSC_10K_4156.thumb.JPG.93e6120c314e24ed0ba9f12b64ba176e.JPG

We visited here 11 years ago, in January 2010. We spend a week in Marbella (how touristy!) but did self-driving tours to Cordoba, Granada, Ronda, and Gibraltar among others. It was a great time and we'd do it again for sure.

Over to you - or will it be another wild card?

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 1