The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

This is certainly a depiction of Christ that is confusing in where it is placed. If I had not found a photo which my default settings facilitate (I think that is the case), I would have been thrown of course. For a bit I thought it had something to do with the Sorbian minority in Germany, but that is not the case.

I think another photo may be appreciated.

notamermaid

@notamermaid - I didn't find it straightforward at all. I was first checking the Polish as it was difficult to read the German underneath. When I finally checked the German I found just one reference with no explanation. So, I know where it is but have absolutely no context. 🤔

I have not seen this shrine when visiting the area although it is located in a beautiful, historic area.  I also found a photo on the shrine on TripAdvisor when investigating this particular church/monastery.

I think another clue may be in order. 🙃

Edited by dogs4fun

I don't understand why the Polish "Pensive Christ " is inscribed above the German "Sad Christ" - especially in this particular area. What is the Polish connection to this area? Perhaps a connection during the Hapsburg dynasty? Hopefully, Ritabob can offer some context.

Overthinking again - I'll give it a rest. 😏

Edited by dogs4fun

5 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

I can't read the German at all. It's a blur on my laptop.

It was blurred on mine as well. When notamermaid mentioned "sad christ", I figured it must be bekümmere christus. 

We have all seen this church perched prominently on the hill but I certainly have not seen the shrine. I was looking for a wayside shrine in Poland. Sheesh!

Oh, alright then. :classic_smile: It is in Passau on the Danube. On the other side of the river at the pilgrim's church Mariahilf. I really want to know more about this place. Found out that this is for a Polish gentleman. But I need to go to bed now.

Which, after Ritabob's confirmation and explanation, makes this a wild card.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ding ding ding!  We have a winner!  Too bad they are going to bed, so we have a wild card.

Thank you to Renmar for the link to the YouTube video. Now I wish I would have had a chance to see the interior. 

On our tour that day we did not go into the monastery but walked through the woods to an overlook  for a view of the Inn and the Danube rivers.

WILD CARD

• Like 1