The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

Odd thing is, this is also in German, "Sad Christ". I also thought the other language was Polish. It is wooden I think, is it perhaps in Germany near an Eastern border?

notamermaid

The worried Christ, very appropriate right now.

No idea where it is, there are probably hundreds of those all over the world.

Theo

If I may be so bold: I have found it and the German words helped me find it. But I cannot find an explanation why this is where it is.

Intriguing.

notamermaid 

1 hour ago, notamermaid said:

If I may be so bold: I have found it and the German words helped me find it. But I cannot find an explanation why this is where it is.

I also found it using the German beneath the Polish. 😊

This is certainly a depiction of Christ that is confusing in where it is placed. If I had not found a photo which my default settings facilitate (I think that is the case), I would have been thrown of course. For a bit I thought it had something to do with the Sorbian minority in Germany, but that is not the case.

I think another photo may be appreciated.

notamermaid

Posted (edited)

@notamermaid - I didn't find it straightforward at all. I was first checking the Polish as it was difficult to read the German underneath. When I finally checked the German I found just one reference with no explanation. So, I know where it is but have absolutely no context. 🤔

I have not seen this shrine when visiting the area although it is located in a beautiful, historic area.  I also found a photo on the shrine on TripAdvisor when investigating this particular church/monastery.

I think another clue may be in order. 🙃

Edited by dogs4fun
Posted (edited)

I don't understand why the Polish "Pensive Christ " is inscribed above the German "Sad Christ" - especially in this particular area. What is the Polish connection to this area? Perhaps a connection during the Hapsburg dynasty? Hopefully, Ritabob can offer some context.

Overthinking again - I'll give it a rest. 😏

Edited by dogs4fun
5 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

I can't read the German at all. It's a blur on my laptop.

It was blurred on mine as well. When notamermaid mentioned "sad christ", I figured it must be bekümmere christus. 

We have all seen this church perched prominently on the hill but I certainly have not seen the shrine. I was looking for a wayside shrine in Poland. Sheesh!

What a lovely setting. Bekümmerter Christus is correct. I agree the lettering is a little blurred. I just naturally completed in my head what was not so legible.

notamermaid

Found the video, too, on the website of the monastery. Would you like to name town and river? :classic_smile:

Looking forward to what Ritabob can tell us about the place.

notamermaid

Posted (edited)

Oh, alright then. :classic_smile: It is in Passau on the Danube. On the other side of the river at the pilgrim's church Mariahilf. I really want to know more about this place. Found out that this is for a Polish gentleman. But I need to go to bed now.

Which, after Ritabob's confirmation and explanation, makes this a wild card.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid

Ding ding ding!  We have a winner!  Too bad they are going to bed, so we have a wild card.

Thank you to Renmar for the link to the YouTube video. Now I wish I would have had a chance to see the interior. 

On our tour that day we did not go into the monastery but walked through the woods to an overlook  for a view of the Inn and the Danube rivers.

WILD CARD

12 hours ago, notamermaid said:

Found out that this is for a Polish gentleman.

I would love to know about the Polish gentleman. Would you please share what you found? 🙂