The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

Oh well, I was close, just a few more hours of searching and I might have found it (not). @jpalbny you have way too many trips under your belt, no wonder you can find all those places. Mind you, you never can have too many vacations.

Theo

ps; like I said before I love your picture site, great job.

• Thanks 1

@Renmar, you actually gave me the answer on a silver platter. Once you said that it was Honfleur, I recognized the harbor picture. Then I simply googled "cat on chimney Honfleur" and someone had a picture of that building on Instagram. It was a pic of the whole building so I could read the name. From there I located it and realized that we had walked right by without noticing it...

We are lucky to have visited some incredible places. We were working hard on ticking a few more boxes, then covid...

City and River first, then name the sight.

2063749215_CCPic34.thumb.JPG.08cffb0f0128bd360e64448c621dc15a.JPG

Nice photo @jpalbny

Don't you just hate it when you have a couple of centaurs fighting over a fish? 😊 

I believe that this fountain represents a competition between the fishing industries of two cities.

I will wait for someone else to identify the fountain, city & river as I have no photos to post. 

Edited by dogs4fun
  • Haha 1

I didn't even know that Centaurs ate fish!  Speaking of fishing [see what I did there? 😉] I still remember my first day of work at my last (and longest) job, sharing an office with two wits:

#1:  If you give a man a fish, he will eat for a day...

#2:  If you teach a man to fish, sooner or later he will hook himself in the [euphemism = tush]!

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Renmar said:

Altona/Hamburg--Elbe River--Sthulmannbrunnen.

Theo

You got it Theo!

This fountain stands in the Platz der Republik, near the Altona train station. I didn't know the significance of the two centaurs fighting over a fish, and the English wikipedia page doesn't mention the meaning either. The German wikipedia page says this:

"Diese Skulptur wird allgemein als Allegorie auf die lange Konkurrenz zwischen den Nachbarstädten Altona und Hamburg in Fischfang und -verarbeitung verstanden, bei der gerade um die Jahrhundertwende Altona die Nase vorne hatte."

So I guess it does represent the competition between Altona and Hamburg (which used to be separate cities) in the fishing industry. We just thought it was a nice fountain, and a nice place to take a break after walking up from the cruise ship pier, through Altona, on our way to the Bahnhof to catch a train to the main sights in Hamburg.

We visited in 2018 on a Silversea ocean cruise. We docked in Hamburg around 9PM and I bought ferry tickets so we rode the ferry around the harbor for a while to take in the sights, since it was too late to take a guided tour. The next day we walked up through Altona, took the train to Hamburg, and spent the day sightseeing there. Ah the good old days when you didn't have to take a ship's tour and could see things by yourself...

Your turn.

• Like 1

I am not going to be around for the remainder of the day so if somebody want to use a WILD CARD please do, otherwise I will have a look tonight (West Coast Canada) to post a picture.

Here is the translation from JP's post;

"This sculpture is generally understood as an allegory of the long competition between the neighboring cities of Altona and Hamburg in fishing and processing, in which Altona was ahead of the curve at the turn of the century."

Theo

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Renmar said:

That's actually a pretty dark statement 🤔...

Theo

Sorry about that. Matches my mood lately. I have done pretty well for a year now but the grind of work, no vacation, and no idea when we will get a vacation, is finally starting to get to me.

I finally decided to take next week off to try and recover a bit. We might try to do something besides sit around at home, if we can figure it out! Now I just need to get to tomorrow morning (on call for the weekend) and we'll hope for a more pleasant week.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

Matches my mood lately.

I gathered that might be the case. I am having such a day today - and I am not a doctor... I do not know how you guys and ladies do your jobs still. My problem is the input from work not happening and seeing the same five people for three months in a row, apart from the shop assistants. And some of the normality will not return - Brexit... The island I love will not be same when I can finally return for a holiday.

Interesting that about Hamburg and Altona. Must venture North some time again, there is still much to explore.

So, we are on a wild card unless Renmar himself picks up the thread again later with his prize of posting a photo.

notamermaid

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jpalbny said:

Sorry about that. Matches my mood lately. I have done pretty well for a year now but the grind of work, no vacation, and no idea when we will get a vacation, is finally starting to get to me.

I finally decided to take next week off to try and recover a bit. We might try to do something besides sit around at home, if we can figure it out! Now I just need to get to tomorrow morning (on call for the weekend) and we'll hope for a more pleasant week.

I didn't take it dark..... I took it as cruises that start will eventually need to stay in a bubble when touring but eventually that will end and life will go back to normal. Maybe I misinterpreted it.

• Like 2

@jpalbny, I hope you get a good break, you deserve one.  Hopefully the weather will be nice enough to pack up a picnic with a bottle of wine that can be chilled nicely in a cool stream.  You guys (and everyone else) take care, keep the hope up.  

We can do this, we can get through it.  Life may be different when we do, but it will still go on, and for that we are the lucky ones.

Take care all.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Renmar said:

That's actually a pretty dark statement 🤔 but you are right.

Theo

Now I look at my comment again it does look bad but that was not the intention. I feel about the same way as all of you, living in our bubble (we love the people in our bubble but.....). We are retired so don't have to go anywhere but we wished we could. Looking forward to our first ever river cruise which we are planning now for 2022, we hope we like it as much as ocean cruising.

Theo

• Like 2

As the country where I was born is so small that you can pretty well get anywhere from anywhere within the 2 hour travel limit that was set earlier, I wonder if I can get away with posting pictures from places that are off the beaten path and therefore maybe not easy to recognize.

So here I go out on a limb and give it a try;

Name the city and the name of the structure, obviously you don’t have to name the country and the distance to the river(s) are well within the rules.

12345.thumb.jpg.cd8e131f95cd6b507a0a82c8afb0eeeb.jpg

Theo

• Like 1

Let's see. A town gate made out of red brick is a Northern thing from my geographical viewpoint and I am convinced it is not the only one in the Netherlands. It looks moated or bridging a dyke, which are in abundance in the area. So this is not standing out either. A peek through the gate down the street reveals a windmill structure which is no surprise in the Netherlands.

In all, three boxes ticked for challenge.

A small town but extended in the recent centuries. Along the Scheldt?

notamermaid

No idea - there are many such gates in the Netherlands. At first glance, I thought it was Delft - Oostport East Gate. Further checking revealed the error of my assumption. 😏

Delft - home to my all time favorite artist. 

Edited by dogs4fun
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, dogs4fun said:

Delft - home to my all time favorite artist.

You are talking about Vermeer I guess. Have you been to the (approximate) location of the "Little street"?

The place I am looking for is more south of Delft, about an hour +. Used to be an important port in the old days.

Theo

20 minutes ago, Renmar said:

You are talking about Vermeer I guess. Have you been to the (approximate) location of the "Little street"?

Yes, at least what is purported to be the little street - Voldersgracht (there are other candidates as well but I think Voldersgracht is the most widely accepted candidate - who knows). There must have been many such passageways in Vermeer's time as the one portrayed in his painting. I find his paintings absolutely fantastic and, in fact, enjoy most Dutch paintings from that general period.

I am quite a nerd - I once searched for Ayn Rand's childhood home in St. Petersburg (finally found the apartment above a pharmacy at Moscovsky & Klinsky).  While attending university, she lived in an apartment at 16 Dmitrovsky Lane. A little obsessive, wouldn't you say? I spoke to several Russian guides and they had no idea who Ayn Rand was - much less where she lived in St. Petersburg. 😟

Fortunately, the Dutch knew a great deal about Vermeer. 🙂

Edited by dogs4fun

43 minutes ago, Renmar said:

The place I am looking for is more south of Delft, about an hour +. Used to be an important port in the old days.

Hmmm ... the Old Harbor in Zierikzee looked like a likely candidate but alas, no cigar. I give up.

7 minutes ago, dogs4fun said:

the Old Harbor in Zierikzee

4 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

It is in Zeeland, isn't it?

notamermaid

You both are on the right track it is the town with the "2 zees" as we used to remember this place. But which one of the gates is it?

Theo