The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

You are quite crafty @Renmar . It is Zierikzee but not the Old Harbor gate. 😆

As notamermaid said, you brutally shaved the roofs.

I have not seen this in person - very cool gate & I can see a windmill on the other side. 

Edited by dogs4fun

8 minutes ago, dogs4fun said:

You are quite crafty @Renmar . It is Zierikzee but not the Old Harbor gate. 😆

As notamermaid said, you brutally shaved the roofs.

I have not seen this in person - very cool gate & I can see a windmill on the other side. 

If I may be so bold... May I name this one? I would leave you with a little puzzle overnight if Renmar replies quickly, as I am nearing bedtime.

notamermaid

1 hour ago, notamermaid said:

Right, it is the Nobel Gate in Zierikzee, Zeeland, which is between Hollands Diep and Scheld, but kind of an island or peninsula in an estuary.

@Renmar is that correct?

Here is a website: https://www.zeeland.com/en/visit/2261_en/the-nobel-gate

notamermaid

Correct, I hope you are still awake.

Theo

14 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

Not fair! I have been anxiously awaiting your challenge. Alas, not to be.

Maybe we're all kind of sleepy and will leave it for @notamermaid – she should be getting up tomorrow before most of us hear the ***** crow!

[wow – the CC computer censor doesn't even allow biblical quotes!!!]

• Haha 1

Good morning. ☀️ I hope the sun will give you all happy thoughts today. I woke up to a grey sky.

Now really want to know what that biblical quote is and why cc software would censor stuff from this most splendid of books. As we all know there is some real "parental guidance" text in there, but a crow? Must see if I can find this in German.

Sorry about last night, my file with photos was inaccessible by the time Renmar replied, @Renmar  thanks for replying fast, and I turned my smartphone off just after saying goodnight.

Please feel free to post a photo - or perhaps later in the day I will pick up the wild card myself.

notamermaid

The reference is to the new testament, where Jesus tells Simon Peter that he (Peter) will deny him three times before the "rooster" crows. The King James version uses an alternative name for rooster which the censors would certainly not like... En français, le mot serait <<coq>>

Edited by jpalbny

@jpalbny Thanks for the info. Now I understand and do not need to look it up. "Bevor der Hahn dreimal..." is a completely innocent phrase in German...

Do you read and read out the original King James Bible in the US? I prefer that one to the modern which I find lacks a bit of "verbal oomph". I have learned the German one of course, but have heard and read some comparisons of the English ones.

notamermaid

Hmm, I think I declared a wild card in a sleepy state last night. As no one has taken it yet I proceed and take it myself. Right, here goes. Just one hint: it is of course not as straightforward as it looks. Please name the city and river where this pub is located:

1529231848_cc036.thumb.JPG.1233d7b26c5c2dae8891f68d0e769fce.JPG

notamermaid

It is actually pretty easy to find. I am not going to post where it is because I searched Google and it shows up right away.

It is ranked #997 of 1408 restaurants in ------------------ on a trip advising website.

Maybe a hint for future postings; When I post a picture I try to make sure it won't show up on Google search right away.

Anyway, we like Scottish pubs (any pub for that matter) and we try to visit one at most places.

Theo

5 minutes ago, dogs4fun said:

We actually stopped at this pub @notamermaid and enjoyed some adult beverages. Small world.

It is. I did not go in, but just enjoyed the fact that it looked out of place, like some giant picked up this pub in Scotland and dumped it there in this street. There is a Mexican restaurant next door which kind of is an unusual sight, but it fitted into the street environment more.

5 minutes ago, Renmar said:

It is actually pretty easy to find.

Yes, I know. :classic_biggrin: I did not want to make it difficult, just quirky. If one does not want to guess and eliminate places or go by a clue this one is easy to find on google...

Now, waiting for someone to tell me, who is having fun in the background and has not posted for a while? Or someone new out there happy to join in? Any of the regulars?

notamermaid

9 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

Bratislava, Danube River.

If I'm correct (and the picture matches) I declare a wild card.

Indeed it is. Bratislava was part of my river cruise and we had about four hours to explore. It felt not enough as I found it interesting to see the old, the communist and the new in a mix. I would like to explore more there. This street is full of international places to eat and drink in, reflecting the fact that this is a modern capital. Large cities had their appeal on this river cruise, but Bratislava had its own rough charm. that I preferred to Vienna which is rich and sophisticated - strange, I know.

A wild card it is.

notamermaid

Scottish landlords are not short of an idea or two. Last year on our Scottish trip one of the landlords in our nearest town had agreed with the local town council to use part of the town green for some tables and chairs for customers as his pub has no garden. It was a huge success we will see this year if it’s still working. CA

Yes, a bit creepy - to my eye, not aesthetically pleasing (but what do I know?). I see lots of rebar and some chains. What is that metal plate around the eye? Very strange recycled metalwork sculpture (probably worth a fortune 😏).

I have absolutely no idea where it is.

Edited by dogs4fun