The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

31 minutes ago, dogs4fun said:

Wow - is your granddaughter into ballet? Yes she is.

So, what is the name of the city and cathedral? Give us their names & then over to you.

I should know because of the Valkyries but have no idea so I have to guess;

St. Peter Cathedral--Worms--Germany.

Theo

1 minute ago, Renmar said:

I should know because of the Valkyries but have no idea so I have to guess;

St. Peter Cathedral--Worms--Germany.

Theo

I just found the church but can't find the dog on the church.

18 minutes ago, Coral said:

I just found the church but can't find the dog on the church.

Main portal - look up & to the left.

Local lore has it that this little dachshund saved the life of the architect working on church renovations in the 1920s. Little fellow attempted to bite said architect, architect stepped aside to avoid bite thus avoiding a falling large stone which had come loose. Unfortunately, the little dog was crushed. Supposedly, the architect installed the sculpture  as a memorial to the dachshund who had saved his life.

Cynical self says: “sounds like a fish story to me”.

Edited by dogs4fun
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, notamermaid said:

You shouldn't have said that. Now I will go to bed with the Ride of the Valkyries going round in my head. 'Laugh'.

Epic!

notamermaid

"Kill the wabbit, Kill the wabbit..."

• Haha 2

Aha, I know where this is and recognize the monument from where you took the photo @Ritabob 🙂

Good job with the cropping but I recognize a church that we visited on the other side of the bridge and there is also a big hint on the bridge deck itself.  I love this city & so much miss travel!

Thanks for picking up the wildcard BTW.

Edited by dogs4fun

1 hour ago, Ritabob said:

No cropping was done to this photo taken early January 2012. 😊

Was this a land visit? January would be too late for an Xmas market cruise wouldn’t it?

I thought that you had cropped parts of the monument where you were standing. Won’t be the first time I’ve been wrong. 🤓

Edited by dogs4fun

19 minutes ago, Ritabob said:

Yes Coral, it is Budapest.  You can post the next photo unless someone wants to challenge you to name the bridge  (but I would have to double check to be sure which one it is)

RB 

I am  NOT challenging @Coral It’s Elisabeth Bridge. 😁

Edited by dogs4fun
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, dogs4fun said:

So I looked at that bridge and the sides looked like it. Now I realize the pillars are not part of the bridge - so interesting perspective. I thought the bridge looked too modern to have those pillars. Now I get it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, dogs4fun said:

Hmmm ... this looks so familiar but I can't place it. The heraldry above the portal leads me to believe it is somewhere in Bavaria.

It is a prominent building but probably not the most scenic part of the exterior.

As this leads to a street, I assume it is taken from within a courtyard or you can just walk through this, i.e. not a church but likely a town hall. The Bavarian Lion? Possibly, I think I have never been at that building but I have an idea - which I am not going to say tonight. I think the heraldry needs further exploring...

notamermaid

49 minutes ago, dogs4fun said:

43 minutes ago, Coral said:

So I looked at that bridge and the sides looked like it. Now I realize the pillars are not part of the bridge - so interesting perspective. I thought the bridge looked too modern to have those pillars. Now I get it.

Yes. It's taken from the Saint-Gellért statue, partway up the hill to the Citadella. I think. Great views of the bridge from that terrace. Nice pic @Ritabob! We did that walk and stopped for bridge pix but didn't frame one as nicely. 

No clue where the current one is, of course. 

Edited by jpalbny

19 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

As this leads to a street, I assume it is taken from within a courtyard or you can just walk through this, i.e. not a church but likely a town hall. The Bavarian Lion? Possibly, I think I have never been at that building but I have an idea - which I am not going to say tonight. I think the heraldry needs further exploring...

notamermaid

You are very warm.

26 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

Yes. It's taken from the Saint-Gellért statue, partway up the hill to the Citadella. I think. Great views of the bridge from that terrace. Nice pic @Ritabob! We did that walk and stopped for bridge pix but didn't frame one as nicely. 

No clue where the current one is, of course. 

Cool sculpture! I hope you have had an enjoyable few days getting away!

• Thanks 1