The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

So, donning my Sherlock Holmes deerstalker [but backwards], I see a hunky librarian and a women who obviously knows how hot librarians can be [did I say my fantasy out loud?] plus a third person - maybe somebody coming to pick up a globe on 'hold.'  🤣

The guy is holding the globe with one hand, while he lets the woman use two hands, that's right, let the woman do most of the work! He should be using both hands and the woman casually holding one hand up while carrying the books...

But politeness aside, three are indeed holding what looks like a globe but I see no continent outlines. Is this the world? Does not look like Atlas to me, he carried it alone. And the gentleman is holding tools or some metal parts. I wonder if this is more an industrial monument, or something about knowledge.

A museum somewhere I reckon, not sure where, it does not look monumental enough for Russia, more the Western realm of Europe I would think.

No idea otherwise. Oh it would be great, if somebody out of the shadows came up and said straight out that this is x on river y. Kind of like in a film where everyone sits round the table brooding over an impossible mission and this unknown gentleman comes through the door with the solution - all heads turn, heroic music starts...

notamermaid

• Haha 1

Sorry @notamermaid I led you astray [isn't that just like a man? 😉] with my incorrect identification of the person holding the books.  The statue is apparently of four women holding up the world.  [What I took for 'his' beard is actually her long tresses...]

Clearly I need to revisit this town and spend time inside the major attractions.  [We were being hustled off to a nearby, quaint, village.  I notice they no longer try to combine both of these places on one tour, which is obviously a better idea to appreciate either place.]

I have looked at the statue several times now and the image I have in my head stays the same: he reminds me of depictions of Wilhelm Tell, the Swiss. Which I suppose makes it Switzerland, but I am not sure at all if it is him.

notamermaid

19 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Sorry @notamermaid I led you astray [isn't that just like a man? 😉] with my incorrect identification of the person holding the books.  The statue is apparently of four women holding up the world.  [What I took for 'his' beard is actually her long tresses...]

No need to apologize - you were actually right with your first idea. :classic_smile: Slightly embarrassing for me: I posted a virtual tour of the Bartholdi Museum a few months ago and never actually looked at the full tour in detail, so I did not take in the statue. Here it is: https://www.musee-bartholdi.fr/visite-virtuelle

1 hour ago, dogs4fun said:

Found him atop the fountain in the market square in the city that I shall not name 🤭. Statue is not called Bacchus - just a reference to Pankgraf (hopefully @notamermaid will explain).

That took me a while to figure out and find. Pankgraf is the title of any member of this knight's order based Berlin, named after the district Pankow which in turn is named after the small river Panke. But the statue is not in Berlin - that is another part of the story which I can explain after someone has named the town. The goblet does not give it away but it is definitely the reference to this town, where the statue stands and that has such a focus on wine production.

I have walked past the fountain a couple of times but never really registered what the statue looks like. Ooops...

notamermaid

2 hours ago, vada_9 said:

Found him, - The Rudesheim Fountain Man on the Rhine.

1 hour ago, sharkster77 said:

Ding ding ding ding, @vada_9 is correct!!!  You're up next!

Rudesheim!  I've been there!  but didn't see this [and certainly didn't take a picture].  Another reason to go back!!!