The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

Rheinorange (Rhine Orange) is a sculpture erected in 1992 in Duisburg-Neuenkamp, Germany. It is located at the point where the Ruhr flows into the Rhine at 'Rheinkilometer 780', i.e. 780 km from the source of the Rhine. It was constructed from steel by the sculptor Lutz Fritsch from Köln.

Just noticed that Coral posted a link to this with the right answer.

Theo

Edited by Renmar

Well, there you go. Easy! I could have just googled it but where’s the fun in that? I’m glad it’s actually as random as it seemed. I don’t know exactly where it was but it was fairly soon after Amsterdam. 

Ritabob or Coral, since it really doesn’t have a name but Coral had moderately more specific info on it. 

11 minutes ago, ljandgb said:

Well, there you go. Easy! I could have just googled it but where’s the fun in that? I’m glad it’s actually as random as it seemed. I don’t know exactly where it was but it was fairly soon after Amsterdam. 

Ritabob or Coral, since it really doesn’t have a name but Coral had moderately more specific info on it. 

@Ritabob can have it!

Edited by Coral

3 hours ago, notamermaid said:

Kind of confusing, it looks modern. Concrete? Also a bit perhaps not the most elaborate artwork. Is this a mausoleum?

notamermaid

The building itself is not modern. It dates back to the 1600's but I don't know about this part of it. 

58 minutes ago, Canal archive said:

Could it be a pest house or plague house we visited on on our Seine Cruise. May be Ashlar stone.

No.

This building was built for a different purpose but the purpose was changed later (not plague house). Stone is important here, not sure if it is Ashlar. Not familiar with that style.

The reason I took a picture of this probably means very little to many on this board. This may not be the most recognizable part of the building but the building is pretty prominent in the city. I think the interior is pretty darn cool and the coolest part of the building. 

Edited by Coral

1 hour ago, ljandgb said:

I agree, it looks either modern or very old.  It almost reminded me of Aztec style carvings.

Something not Christian?  Or are those angels holding the faces?

The use of the building is not religious. This was my next picture very close to it (another part of the exterior of the building). The interior is something people would recognize.

P1020321.thumb.jpeg.f68bae579decfcc8ff50c934796541ee.jpeg

A wine cellar! Actually, I do not know, just throwing an idea into the round. Perhaps a very old one with a weird modern extension.

But why a lift? A bunker! No, that would be a bit silly.

I go for wine cellar.

notamermaid