The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

2 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I'm not sure if this is the sculpture in your picture, or its cousin.  Mine is from Murano in the Venice lagoon.

1.jpg

2 hours ago, gnome12 said:

It looks a lot like the Blue Star artwork on Murano Island, Venice but the area around it doesn't look right.

2 hours ago, Ritabob said:

Is the blue sculpture  made of glass?

By the looks of it there is more than one of these around the area. We have never been to Murano Island but have been to this city a few times. It seems to be pretty obvious now where our picture was taken. If I remember right we have seen it at different places so it is probably portable. The last time we have seen it there was some kind of clock tower as backdrop. Our picture was taken along one of the many canals but don't know which one. Like to know though.

Yes it is made of glass.

I think that @Host Jazzbeau has given 90% of the answer. Your turn I guess.

Theo

7 hours ago, Renmar said:

By the looks of it there is more than one of these around the area. We have never been to Murano Island but have been to this city a few times. It seems to be pretty obvious now where our picture was taken. If I remember right we have seen it at different places so it is probably portable. The last time we have seen it there was some kind of clock tower as backdrop. Our picture was taken along one of the many canals but don't know which one. Like to know though.

Yes it is made of glass.

I think that @Host Jazzbeau has given 90% of the answer. Your turn I guess.

Theo

I believe that you have been to Murano, Theo. 🙂 The Blue Comet photo that you posted was taken in Murano on the Cannaregio Canal.  Note the iron work, second photo - exactly the same as your photo.

1572255098_BlueComet.thumb.jpg.f3c4fdfd03aef79970e4b8e6dc1ef5d1.jpg

Blue Comet2.jpg

59 minutes ago, dogs4fun said:

I believe that you have been to Murano, Theo. 🙂 The Blue Comet photo that you posted was taken in Murano on the Cannaregio Canal.  Note the iron work, second photo - exactly the same as your photo.

I found out you are right. My DW, who apparently has a better memory than I , told me that we did go to Murano the second time we were in Venice to visit a glass blowing factory. Of course she is right, duh. I found some more pictures from inside the glass place. My picture must have been taken at a point a little closer to the object.

Anyway, it still means that @Host Jazzbeauwas the first one to mention the location and then @gnome12 came up with the name and location. So, either of you can claim the price (NO fighting please 🙂🙂).

Theo

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, ljandgb said:

The Rhine?  No clue which city.

The Rhine it is.

1 minute ago, jpalbny said:

It looks familiar. Not sure why.

Perhaps it is the stone of the railway line and its arches. The stone is slightly different on the Moselle but the scene can look similar where the railway line is close to the road. But then, you might have driven past here...

A clue: what is one of the main sights in this place is covered by scaffolding and tarpaulin (or whatever the material is) in the photo.

notamermaid

I see the tarp covering a large landmark. I remember standing in a similar place, with the train tracks along the river banks, and watching a carrier car full of new Audis go by. But that was in Rudesheim, and this isn't quite the same place as your picture.

Just now, jpalbny said:

I see the tarp covering a large landmark. I remember standing in a similar place, with the train tracks along the river banks, and watching a carrier car full of new Audis go by. But that was in Rudesheim, and this isn't quite the same place as your picture.

Can't imagine why that caught your attention!  🤣

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, jpalbny said:

The KD line only makes about 40 stops along the Rhine. Hm... Looks like we have lots of places to search!

We probably can narrow that down a bit by looking at those 40 stops and then look for a ferry service at that location. I think we are looking along the same lines, so to speak, for the answer.

However, I think @notamermaidmentioned the rail line stop and a ferry service, could also narrow it down.

Theo

Edited by Renmar
added info

2 hours ago, jpalbny said:

The KD line only makes about 40 stops along the Rhine. Hm... Looks like we have lots of places to search!

This would make a great itinerary for your next Audi pickup.  But the contest will probably have moved on by then...

• Haha 1