The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

Just now, Coral said:

There were 2 churches in 2 separate ports that had similar inside paintings (first picture posted). Sort of weird....

And, doesn't that first photo remind you of some of the interior passageways of St. Basil's? Some of the interior frescoes are similar - also thinking of the Kremlin churches/cathedrals of Veliky Novgorod.

5 minutes ago, dogs4fun said:

And, doesn't that first photo remind you of some of the interior passageways of St. Basil's? Some of the interior frescoes are similar - also thinking of the Kremlin churches/cathedrals of Veliky Novgorod.

Yes - that is why I posted the 2nd picture....

17 minutes ago, dogs4fun said:

I had to look it up but the interior pictures remind of me Ipatiev Monastery in Kostroma also.

7 minutes ago, dogs4fun said:

A tad of useless information in which you & Chris may be interested @jpalbny ...

Yaroslavl was founded in the 10th century by a prince of Kyiv - Yaroslav the  Wise & is the oldest extant city on the Volga.

Of course! Yaroslaw the Wise is my 33rd-great grandfather. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Coral said:

I had to look it up but the interior pictures remind of me Ipatiev Monastery in Kostroma also.

Yes, similar frescoes. Wasn't it here that Michael I (Mikhail Fyodorovich, first Romanov tsar) was elected? I vaguely recall hearing the story but may have confused some facts.

Edited by dogs4fun

32 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

I think it has another dome behind the others, so is it the Church of Elijah the Prophet in Yaroslavl, on the Volga?

notamermaid

Yes - Great job!

100_0728.thumb.JPG.fa9817d83e00fd61a4dcfae8accfa9f1.JPG

100_0732.JPG

Edited by Coral

Thanks, @Coral But much credit to @dogs4fun who paved the way to finding the answer.

Did you go on a river cruise or was that part of a land trip? You have probably said before but I do not remember. I know you went to Saint Petersburg, was that the same occasion? If I got the chance to go to Russia I would not want to go to Moscow, but straight to Saint Petersburg and then round the monasteries, just like that one. Would love to see the Eremitage for the German furniture in it - and all the cats.

Photo coming later.

notamermaid

• Like 1

1 hour ago, notamermaid said:

Thanks, @Coral But much credit to @dogs4fun who paved the way to finding the answer.

Did you go on a river cruise or was that part of a land trip? You have probably said before but I do not remember. I know you went to Saint Petersburg, was that the same occasion? If I got the chance to go to Russia I would not want to go to Moscow, but straight to Saint Petersburg and then round the monasteries, just like that one. Would love to see the Eremitage for the German furniture in it - and all the cats.

Photo coming later.

notamermaid

In 1988 -  I did a land trip of Leningrad and Moscow (part of a high school trip from Ireland to the Soviet Union). I think in 2007 or so I did the river cruise between Moscow and St. Petersburg. The trip to Yaroslavl was on the river cruise.

IMO - Moscow is just as impressive as St. Petersburg. Both worthy of visiting. The Hermitage is amazing as you probably know. I would not go back to the ports between.

Thanks for the answers - I suppose Moscow is a bit "outshined" by all the splendour in Saint Petersburg. As I am train enthusiast I would naturally love to see the Moscow Underground.

Here is the photo. Please name river and town. I have painted over a clue on a sign, but have left another small clue in:

969934840_IMG_20200918_121128-Kopie.thumb.jpg.2585017cb1c0556921da066c24b2e474.jpg

It is bedtime for me, so I will see at breakfast how far you have got with this one. :classic_smile:

notamermaid

1 hour ago, notamermaid said:

As I am train enthusiast I would naturally love to see the Moscow Underground

The Saint Petersburg metro is also quite spectacular and, furthermore, it is the deepest in the world. Old "Joe" spared no expense in making the metro stations the "peoples' palaces".

https://www.businessinsider.com/russian-metro-stations-look-like-palaces-2016-1

Edited by dogs4fun
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, dogs4fun said:

The Saint Petersburg metro is also quite spectacular and, furthermore, it is the deepest in the world. Old "Joe" spared no expense in making the metro stations the "peoples' palaces".

https://www.businessinsider.com/russian-metro-stations-look-like-palaces-2016-1

I personally like the Moscow Metro stop with the dog statues.

I am slightly afraid of escalators and they are so deeepppp...... Sparkling clean!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Coral said:

I personally like the Moscow Metro stop with the dog statues.

The 'Lucky Dog' in the Ploshchad Revolyutsii station? 

I like to see the dogs riding the metro. 

Edited by dogs4fun

24 minutes ago, dogs4fun said:

The 'Lucky Dog' in the Ploshchad Revolyutsii station? 

I like to see the dogs riding the metro. 

Yes - my picture turned out blurry. Moscow dogs are the best!

100_0974.thumb.JPG.3f301fc2431f21e5157f244b8322a1da.JPG

• Like 1

Well, I had left the clue of a German flag in but no clue was needed. :classic_biggrin:

@Renmar went straight in with a very close answer. Sorry Theo, the river in the word was correct, it is the Saar. But the town is Saarburg, beautifully perched on the hill. @dogs4fun You got it right and also the church (how do you do that?). This is a photo from last year's land trip which I thoroughly enjoyed. The church is a mix of old and relatively new and on the upper hill side it has its main entrance portal, the tower having an unusual twin spire. I really fancy going back to see a bit more, Mettlach, the Villeroy & Boch works (went there about 35 years ago) and Saarbrücken. Saarbrücken is the capital city of the Saarland and worth exploring.

dogs4fun, over to you.

notamermaid

• Like 1

3 hours ago, notamermaid said:

You got it right and also the church (how do you do that?).

I love visiting churches. So much history is tied to the church & I am an amateur history buff. 🙂

I would like to know how you can identify a structure simply be viewing the materials from which it is constructed - I cannot do that!

Edited by dogs4fun
  • Like 1