The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

Name what is in the photo. First guess the river. After that name the town/city/place.
The person one who first guesses correctly gets to post the next photo!

Please, DO NOT POST any PHOTOS unless it is your turn.

P1020982.JPG

vada_9,

This is certainly an unusual sculpture! The whole river scene, the look of the public toilet and the red sandstone made me think it is in Germany. I am right, found it. Not going to say just yet. Till most of you have had breakfast. Want to see what you think where this is.

notamermaid

@dogs4fun Going back to the subject of classical music, I thought I would link you the special Beethoven 2020 website of Deutsche Welle. Not many recent articles, due to the situation we have, but perhaps it is of interest to you: https://m.dw.com/en/top-stories/bthvn2020/s-12257

notamermaid

2 hours ago, notamermaid said:

vada_9,

This is certainly an unusual sculpture! The whole river scene, the look of the public toilet and the red sandstone made me think it is in Germany. I am right, found it. Not going to say just yet. Till most of you have had breakfast. Want to see what you think where this is.

notamermaid

It is Germany, I am off to bed now, will check back in the morning

notamermaid, I had to look it up and I actually have been there.  I don't remember the bathroom as being all that exciting, but was fancy.  The food was good though.  Coffee and sweets on a cool and rainy September morning hit the spot.

Do I need to wait for confirmation from the OP regarding the last picture?  

15 minutes ago, ljandgb said:

notamermaid, I had to look it up and I actually have been there.  I don't remember the bathroom as being all that exciting, but was fancy.  The food was good though.  Coffee and sweets on a cool and rainy September morning hit the spot.

Do I need to wait for confirmation from the OP regarding the last picture?  

Fancy and posh, but not exciting, okay. As I said, I have not been in. People say there are some special crystal glass doors that are clear and turn opaque when you turn the lock. Love their chocolates.

Yes, confirmation from the OP we would like to have to continue. Proper winner announcement and perhaps a little story from vada_9 during his/her breakfast .😁

notamermaid

Roger that. 

There is a quite nice public restroom under one of the plazas in Copenhagen along the Stroget.  Lots of brass and marble.  Quite impressive for an underground loo.  A few gears and it would have been positively steampunk.

1 hour ago, notamermaid said:

Fancy and posh, but not exciting, okay. As I said, I have not been in. People say there are some special crystal glass doors that are clear and turn opaque when you turn the lock. 

notamermaid

When you mentioned the bathrooms, I had to go looking.  I've been in some pretty fancy ones, but not like those!  A quick google to TripAdvisor, looked through the photo galley, and yep, I've never seen ones like that!  We had a good laugh while doing our tours, seemed as if everytime the guide would tell us about a free washroom, another guide would walk by and let them know they were closed!  

7 hours ago, ljandgb said:

Great picture!   l love irreverent statues and interesting public bathrooms.  This ticks both boxes!

Miltenberg on the Main

Correct, Your go, I am back awake now. We visited Miltenberg on an Avalon Christmas Markets cruise. I guess that is why the fountains were empty - too cold and the water would probably freeze. I found Miltenberg very attractive - would have liked a little longer there as we were there in the morning leaving about 11 or 11.30 - would have liked to go into the hotel, but not enough time to go in buy drink and enjoy it. Also too early for the markets, but knew that ahead of time. We discovered the fountains/toilets on our walk back to the mooring spot near the bridge.  

30 minutes ago, Daisi said:

We had a good laugh while doing our tours, seemed as if everytime the guide would tell us about a free washroom, another guide would walk by and let them know they were closed!  

My favourite guide & bathroom moment came in front of the Kremlin... Our guide informed us that there would be a Shakespeare stop once we got inside....   You know, to wee - or not to wee!!

Fran

• Haha 2

Name what is in the photo. First guess the river. After that name the town/city/place.
The person one who first guesses correctly gets to post the next photo!

Please, DO NOT POST any PHOTOS unless it is your turn.

402270740_P1040239(1).thumb.JPG.5ae37dcac5e71beb5152c9be97037261.JPG

As far as restrooms go, the worst was in Beijing, label "5 Star Restroom."  It most definitely was not!  LOL

They have this kind of competition in Ireland as well then! A few years back I was also in an award-winning toilet somewhere in the middle of Britain.

The photo: I would put this somewhere in Germany or nearby. The figure looks gothic, but later than the era of the Naumburger Meister. The red sandstone reminds me of Mainz and Speyer, but also towards the Main river. The two arches give me an idea that this is not on a portal but in-between windows or gates. This could also mean it is not to be found at a cathedral but possibly an official town building. Interesting, the man is wearing one glove and points somewhere with the ungloved hand.

In short I have little clue other than Western Europe.

notamermaid

Oops, it is a woman mostly likely, I thought it was a prince with Medieval hairstyle. Apparently women statues hold gloves as a symbol of power as well. The arches are not the same, the one on the left looks older and rounded Roman whereas the one on the right looks to be the ribbed pointed Gothic version. But I cannot see enough of either. Which does not bring me closer to the solution...

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
Missing words

I have absolutely no idea in which city or on what structure this statue is located but my thoughts after a cursory examination of the statue lead me to suspect it is from the middle ages.  The structure appears gothic & I suspect that the glove is a clue (The style of the glove appears quintessentially middle ages. Gloves were first worn in the middle ages by the clergy (signifying purity) & later by the upper classes). Not at all sure about what appears to be a medieval circlet (or perhaps a crown) but I suspect that this is another clue.

So, perhaps a church or cathedral - something to do with Catholicism? A bit of a stumper, to be sure (at least for me). 🤨

Edited by dogs4fun

Wow, I guess this is more obscure than I thought it would be. I figured after everyone knew the dog on the lectern then my happy lady might not be too hard.

A few hints - it's in a city on a major river in western Europe.  It is on a religious building.  After some research to provide correct clues, I stand corrected.  The benefactor is on the opposing area of this young lady, who is a "misguided virgin in a state of undress."  So showing one hand was exceedingly risqué when she was installed.  The patrons were major European figures in the 900-1000's so I'm assuming our young lady is of the same time frame.  The structure itself was built 1000-1500, in the way that many of those old, highly complex buildings were.

54 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

On the Rhine?

I would have guessed the Rhône. I thought that the virgins there were more misguided than those along the Rhine... 😉

I won't tell you what kind of results I got when I misguidedly searched Google for "misguided virgin in a state of undress." Off to scrub my eyes.. NSFW. ☺

Edited by jpalbny
  • Haha 1

Grin!! Good job I did not search in English. Mind you, I got a few hits that I did not feel like clicking on when searching in German. Desperately trying to find the lady without feeding Google with "Jungfrau ausgezogen" - virgin undressed! :classic_biggrin: 

No luck so far.

notamermaid

• Haha 1

Yes, the Rhine.  Um, yes, I guess googling that term might be dangerous!

She is standing next to a "seducer" with toads and snakes crawling into his robe.  This is from descriptions, as I totally do not remember that bit.

The original building was Ottonian, but is now currently predominantly Romanesque from the early 1200's.  It contains a crypt consecrated in 1019.