The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

14 hours ago, need2travel1 said:

Notamermaid,

Sorry to butt in without an answer but I love this idea!  Thank you!

No answer needed, just butt in and join the fun. Glad you are enjoying the game. I am having so much fun with you all joining in I walked around my flat after midnight with a big smile on my face and went to bed a happy girl. Thank you!

notamermaid

• Like 1

Winner winner chicken dinner!!!

Rhine/Strasbourg Cathedral is correct.  

I am not a good photographer, and end up taking a million pictures of beautiful exteriors and windows and then promptly forget where and what they are.... but I will always remember this puppy in Strasbourg and smile. 

Next up? 

29 minutes ago, sharkster77 said:

Darn, now I have to learn how to post pictures here!!

It might more straightforward than you think. The option at the bottom that appears when you start posting called "click to choose files" opens up your computer or smartphone. I have photos stored in many folders on my computer that I have put on there over many years. Perhaps my set-up is favourable for me as a non-technical person, but I find it straightforward. When the photo appears in your post I think I click upload and there it is.

Looking forward to the next round. Did not guess the Strasbourg dog. I wonder if it has a special meaning or if it is just a stonemason's folly?

notamermaid

@notamermaid, our guide gave us a couple of explanations for the dog carving.  One was that they cathedral had a renowned preacher, who always preached with his faithful dog curled up at his feet.

Another was that the fabled preacher was a Dominican, which translates to "dogs of God".

Option 3 is that is was a stone mason's folly, as you suggested.

I will try to post something in a few hours when I have some free time.

Thanks for all you do!

Edited by sharkster77

4 minutes ago, sharkster77 said:

... cathedral had a renowned preacher, who always preached with his faithful dog curled up at his feet.

Heard the same story ...

The preacher, Geiler of Kayserberg, delivered his sermons with his dog asleep at his feet. 😎

Edited by dogs4fun

Thanks for the explanation, you two. Must really get to Strasbourg some time.

It will be something like the 18th cathedral I will have seen in my life - apart from at least that amount of Münster (minster) and abbey church. Not sure that I have a favourite, Rochester or Lincoln or Metz, or Reims perhaps? And then there are the ruined ones, like Tintern Abbey and Rievaulx Abbey which both have an amazing landscape setting. Oh my goodness, so many old stones and I still have not seen enough! :classic_biggrin: 

notamermaid

7 minutes ago, Roz said:

Well, the figures definitely look German or Austrian, so am I at least getting warm? 😉

Warm but not hot - the figures aren't Germanic/Austrian but are representative of those in the general neighborhood. I am pretty sure that you have visited this place - it is an iconic site. 🙂

Edited by dogs4fun

Wow, your answer about Brühl was fast! Beautiful gardens. Would love to see the palace.

As regards the statues in the photo. Intriguing. The man especially looks Hungarian to me, so I try to narrow it down and say just the river: On the Danube?

notamermaid

10 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

As regards the statues in the photo. Intriguing. The man especially looks Hungarian to me, so I try to narrow it down and say just the river: On the Danube?

Yes, the Danube and, good eye, the man is indeed Hungarian.

3 minutes ago, jklc123 said:

Danube, Hungarian Parluament in Budapest

Precisely, jklc123. The photo is Parliament's Upper House Lobby. The statues on the lobby pillars are figures representing Hungarian crafts and culture. 

You're up next!! 😎

I am so sad I missed my Danube cruise earlier this year, and these pictures are really making me hope for another chance sometime!  We had such a great time on the Rhine cruise last year, and I'm sure the Danube would be great too!  Thanks for all the pictures and history tidbits.