The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

1 minute ago, dogs4fun said:

Found it! 

Only because of your hints! When we visited, I wish I had looked more closely at the building’s decoration as I don’t remember this. Very interesting! I did visit the crypt and was awed by the ancient history of the whole building.

i will post an easier one soon, but I love these true puzzlers!

@jklc123

I'm sorry - I don't understand your previous comment as it is not the cathedral in Speyer to which I was referring when I stated that I had found it. I finally found the location due to the hints offered by @ljandgb  🙂 Without those hints, I had absolutely no clue.

Edited by dogs4fun

Okay, I have found it!

@ljandgb This was a really hard one. Question is would you like the city and the edifice to be named? Then we will need to wait a little. The statue would be even harder! It is neither a woman nor a  patron but an allegory - and not a nice one at that!

Now that I can see the whole structure I can say I was wrong with the arches, both are gothic but the one on the left of the figure is the door, the one on the right is the window. Big difference in size.

notamermaid

Yes to Basel.  No to the Cathedral of Speyer.

Yes, it would have been easier to get the surrounding architectural elements with a wider shot, but then we miss her apparently "come hither" smile. 🙂  I'm going to say she is a lady, as the church or society has never been very concerned with male virgins.

Whoever wants to name the building can have a go at the next puzzle.  I'm glad y'all enjoyed it. It was starting to feel like a treasure hunt. 

I have to say I'm impressed with any comment that can pick up on arches, building materials, etc, and assign them to a historical period. No matter how many times I "learn" that, it never sticks.  The best I can do is say that X building looks a lot like Y building, so maybe they're related in style or age.  

Once named, google the misericords of the building.  Lots of really interesting wood carving there.  

Edited by ljandgb

@ljandgbI have enlarged the photo of the main porch that I found online & can clearly see the virgin & seducer. No matter how hard I try,  I can't discern the toads and snakes crawling into the seducer's robe.  Perhaps I can't see this because this is a frontal view? Do you have a photo of the seducer with the toads and snakes clearly visible? If so, could you share the photo after correct identification of the site?

8 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

So I will name the building that "shall not be named" – not Hogwarts, but the Basel Minster (or Munster or Cathedral).

A name, we have got a name! :classic_smile: 

What a statue. I am glad this is small on my smartphone. Gives me the creeps.

@ljandgb looks like we have a winner?

I had not realised they used red sandstone that far up the Rhine. Relatively small compared to others, it nevertheless looks a fine cathedral. Must keep it in the back of my head for a visit.

notamermaid

We climbed the tower of the Basler Minster, and went inside for a bit, but I don't remember that statue. And I don't have any pictures of it. Just checked! 

@notamermaid, a food question for you. Should the meat for Rahmschnitzel and Jägerschnitzel be breaded,, or just dipped in flour before frying? And, is Rahmschnitzel just a cream sauce, or can you add mushrooms too? I make a version at home with no breading, and the sauce has both mushrooms and cream. Is it Rahmschnitzel, Jägerschnitzel, or Rahmjägerschnitzel? Or something I made up?

Ding, ding, Jazzbeau wins!  And very nice pictures to boot.

It's a nice cathedral, situated at the end of a pretty plaza and overlooking the river.  Not very ostentatious at all.  We were there in the Fall and there was a bit of fall color in the trees, a small festival happening with puppets and food carts, and beautiful cool sunny weather.  It's a good memory.  And all this time I thought it was a queen smiling down on us.  LOL  Eh, misguided virgins probably have more fun anyways. 

8 minutes ago, ljandgb said:

And all this time I thought it was a queen smiling down on us.  LOL  Eh, misguided virgins probably have more fun anyways. 

As Meatloaf sang, "And the good girls go to heaven...but the bad girls go everywhere!"

Our Rhine cruise ended in Basel, but because we had bought the post-cruise extension to Lucerne and Zurich they bundled us out of there after a tour of the town hall.  So my 'victory' here was all due to the hints and google images.

Name what is in the photo. First guess the river. After that name the town/city/place.
The person one who first guesses correctly gets to post the next photo!

Please, DO NOT POST any PHOTOS unless it is your turn.

Here is my challenge picture.  I think this is v-e-r-y hard.  I will come back with hints, and I have a second picture if necessary.  This is not a big city, and it is not on the river bank but is a usual shore excursion for river cruises in this area.  [And the portable organ is not a permanent fixture at this location]

Where?.jpg

The photo: no immediate clues, even the books on the organ show no spine from which to read a language. The stone and bouquet somewhat point me to France. I will go for the Rhone river, as I have more frequently read about small locations as excursions than on the other rivers.

notamermaid

Yes, I too suspect the Rhone. Perhaps Oingt? 

Edit: Yep, definitely Oingt  - specifically, Église St. Mathieu (I cheated - my bad). You will have to "go" again as my "guess" really wasn't a fair one (and I have no photos).

Edited by dogs4fun

15 hours ago, jpalbny said:

We climbed the tower of the Basler Minster, and went inside for a bit, but I don't remember that statue. And I don't have any pictures of it. Just checked! 

@notamermaid, a food question for you. Should the meat for Rahmschnitzel and Jägerschnitzel be breaded,, or just dipped in flour before frying? And, is Rahmschnitzel just a cream sauce, or can you add mushrooms too? I make a version at home with no breading, and the sauce has both mushrooms and cream. Is it Rahmschnitzel, Jägerschnitzel, or Rahmjägerschnitzel? Or something I made up?

I am not a big fan of Schnitzel and it is a long time since I cooked those varieties. I checked one of my traditional cookery books in German. Rahmschnitzel is done without the breadcrumbs and you do put small or sliced mushrooms in. Jägerschnitzel is the brown sauce variety with or without breadcrumbs. The Wiener as you know is the version without sauce. In Germany by law you have to put on the menu whether it is a Wiener or Wiener Art. The former is veal the latter is pork. For Jägerschnitzel there is also veal or pork and the dish even has a German Wikipedia page:

https://de.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jägerschnitzel

Hope this helps.

notamermaid

Dogs4Fun...what do you do to "search" for a location from a random picture. We have some pictures that we have managed to forget where we were and my husband's labeling of the days' pictures some how seems to fail (human error)!

Would love to able to identify buildings and city.

@deec Ah, I wish I could identify many of the digital photos I have taken. I don't search for the location of a random photo - I actually have the same issues regarding having forgotten where such and such photo was taken (especially if the photos are not downloaded until months after a trip). Regarding my "luck" at finding the location of Jazzbeau's photo, I "cheated" by finding pertinent info on his blog describing his AmaDagio cruise of the Rhone. His blogs are very interesting - I've been working my way through his and those posted by jpalbny. Basically, I like reading about the travels of others. About a week ago, I had read about the Jazz duo's time in Oingt and, when I saw the photo, I remembered reading about an organ festival held in the town - eureka!

I do use google when searching for clues provided by hints found in the photos - you can also use google street view to walk around buildings to check-out features (many areas in Germany & Austria are not covered by street view).

If the photo is of an iconic site, you can search by image - trouble is that most of the photos posted on this thread are quite obscure - one would not find them simply by using an image search.

Sorry I can't help but I employ no clever tricks to find a location or structure - just a tad of good old-fashioned sleuthing. 🙂

Edited by dogs4fun
  • Like 2

Yes you are correct.  And I so carefully removed the label on the picture, and for the follow-up clue I even airbrushed out the name of the town on this picture of the entrance gate:

Where 2.jpg

But then it hit me last night [while tossing and turning feverishly from the Shingrix vaccine] that my signature has all my blogs.  [And thanks @dogs4fun for the kind words!] 

I figured the first picture would be a complete stumper, but you can read 'Patissierie' on the shop in this one and that might lead someone to my French blog.  Or I thought @jklc123 might have visited Oingt (which is near Lyon).  But first crack out of the box!  This is a tough crowd...

• Haha 1