The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

That was quick. Nijmegen, I have never been there. Looks more and more interesting. I read it is Roman in origin.

Did you go on a river cruise? It is not so often stopped at I think.

Love the church, amazingly old.

notamermaid

This should be easy ....

Name what is in the photo. First guess the river. After that name the town/city/place.
The person one who first guesses correctly gets to post the next photo!

Please, DO NOT POST any PHOTOS unless it is your turn.

Untitled.jpg.e85cbb523285c0bec6e23048e4e4291e.jpg

21 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

Did you go on a river cruise? It is not so often stopped at I think.

Yes, we stopped at Nijmegen on a river cruise in April 2017. The chapel was in a park several blocks from the (more visited) Nijmegen town square, far more quiet. I am impressed it was recognized so quickly.

Ok, you ringers. Hope this takes you at least two guesses...

Name what is in the photo. First guess the river. After that name the town/city/place.
The person one who first guesses correctly gets to post the next photo!

Please, DO NOT POST any PHOTOS unless it is your turn.

Visited on certain River Cruise itineraries. Certain architectural and functional elements of the building should serve to identify its purpose and location, which will then narrow it down.

1447071492_CCPic3.thumb.jpg.5e659d34423cc53bc8f332aaa9a48795.jpg

10 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

Everything that you say is correct! I was careful to put in a picture with the azulejos. I knew that you would pick up on that immediately.

Oh, good. The azulejos I have actually not known for that long. I had heard of them before, but saw how they are made in a demonstration and hand-painting session in the "Verrückt nach Fluss" series on television not so long ago. A couple on the river cruise had an excursion to a painting studio!

But I know nothing further about the region and I do not recall seeing that building in the series. So, over to others.

notamermaid

Not Salamanca. I am not devious enough to post the same town twice in a row. But same itinerary, as notamermaid has correctly pointed out.

Look closely at the azulejos, which I was careful to include. De onde vêm os azulejos? 

11 minutes ago, NewCruiser2016 said:

Convent of Christ, Tomar, Portugal (south of Douro River)?

Yes!

Most Douro itineraries use Coimbra as a rest stop between Lisbon and Porto. In fact we ran into a gaggle of river cruisers while we were in Coimbra on our own...poor Chris got stuck in the line for the ladies' room behind them, at the University! 

But I looked, and AMA stops in Tomar instead, for a visit to this beautiful place. 

The cloister structure is a dead giveaway that it's a convent or monastery. While the tile roof looks Spanish, the azulejos are so characteristic of Portugal. I was hoping that including them would place the building in Portugal, and narrow the choices considerably. Great job!

A few more pics.

1490134886_PortugalAlbum-104.thumb.jpg.c196fdb5390dd384bbf11db22ac19ab4.jpg

104930077_PortugalAlbum-103.thumb.jpg.d4d14dc88507518a3fdee5986ba14e0e.jpg

We spent two nights in Tomar last November. It's a nice climb from the town to the Convent. And a nice base from which to explore the surrounding area. 

Back to you. 🙂

• Thanks 1

JP and Chris, thanks for the additional pictures of Tomar. It looks lovely. The Douro River cruise I took did not stop in Tomar, so the photo was a challenge. I found it using some of the hints You left and doing many google searches for Portugal convents and monasteries. 

i don’t have a photo to post right now. So I suggest that we have a wildcard and anyone with a photo can post (first poster wins).

• Thanks 1