The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

I'll jump in since this has been sitting for 8 hours without a taker.  I think this is fairly obscure, but I liked the pig.

Name what is in the photo. First guess the river. After that name the town/city/place.
The person one who first guesses correctly gets to post the next photo!

Please, DO NOT POST any PHOTOS unless it is your turn.

P1040209.JPG

Good morning. This looks to be a photo that will keep us guessing for days 😉. I wonder what the gentleman is trying to tell us, pointing at the larger pig. There is a figure next to him. I assume this is an altar scene. My first guess. Secondly, I think there is a saint in the scene. Thirdly, this is in Europe.

Correct?

notamermaid

I remember that type of statue in a memorial commemorating Les Halles Marketplace in Paris. The memorial is located inside a church, at the former site of the market. But from my pictures of that memorial I don't think that it's the one shown here.

St. Anthony is often pictured with a pig. That seems a more likely explanation, if those are indeed gilded robes belonging to a saint.

Edited by jpalbny

Looking again after your thoughts, jpalbny, I will still go with the Saint and I think the man is actually pointing at the figure not the pig. So Saint Anthony, hmm. I also think this is medieval not after 1700, just a feeling.

Edit: Mitina, I crossed paths with you.

I would say more Western than Eastern Europe.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
Added info

Would never have gotten it without the hints.  

This one should be fairly easy.

Name what is in the photo. First guess the river. After that name the town/city/place.

DSC04679.JPG

Edited by QueenofEverything

Budapest Eye, Danube.

For those looking for a picture of the alter, here you go.  We had a fantastic guide that "added" it on as an extra part of our tour, and she gave us quite a good explanation.  She had gone to Uni for art, so was very enthused about it.

DSC03321.JPG

I'll do an easy one, hope someone else answers.  Sorry for the blurry video. 

Here goes. After all that nice old stuff, here is something more modern and ugly. The ship is lovely, though.

Please, DO NOT POST any PHOTOS unless it is your turn

But here is the slight change. I will be happy with either the town this is in or the place that has the large tower. Should be hint enough, but there is another one in the photo, too. There is an unusual story behind this photo as the ship is not where it should be.

1704364084_eBay4.6.2013003.thumb.JPG.3ede1e1f2bcc747dcf4910b55b518b28.JPG

notamermaid

35 minutes ago, NewCruiser2016 said:

Mülheim-Kärlich? (Pure guess)

Well, good guess. You are right! The cooling tower is the one of the nuclear power station at Mülheim-Kärlich near Koblenz. I was going to give you the clue "the tower no long stands". It was demolished last year. The town where the Royal Crown is docked is called Neuwied. In the photo you can see the industrial harbour. Neuwied has a river cruise ship harbour which they started remodelling a few years ago. Newspaper says they will be finished during this winter.

In 2013 we had flooding in June and I happened to see the Royal Crown there. I thought it must be stranded as the Rhine was closed to traffic. I was curious and asked at reception. The lady told me that they were on an itinerary that was going to take them to the Moselle, but they could not fit under the bridge at Koblenz anymore, so Koblenz being busy, had to stop at Neuwied.

I "fell in love" with the ship design of the Royal Crown and she is high on the list of ships I would like to sail on.

Over to you, NewCruiser2016.

Edit: Sorry, Daisi. Uniper because of the U in the photo? I am afraid it stands for Unicem, a company. Good idea, though.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
Reply to Daisi
  • Like 1