The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

Weird one! I think I can place this to a wide area, kind of, but I may be wrong. The town bus looks a German make, the road sign vaguely (difficult to see on my smartphone) and there are concrete stumps for separating a square from the road. Not sure, but I will put this in Germany. You say it is an excursion so I was thinking of Heidelberg, but I have never heard of a connection with pigs. Perhaps a town legend somewhere else, or a reference to a German saying (something with fools?)

It is not Schweinfurt, which literally means ford in the river which pigs are driven or guided through. They have really gone to town (I know, cannot resist that one 'grin') with their pig figures and statues referencing the town's name.

Not sure that this fits anywhere other than the Southern half of Germany or perhaps the German-speaking Switzerland.

notamermaid

The lucky pig of Schwetzingen, Schloss Schwetzingen, from Heidelberg excursion, Rhine River.

Honouring Prince - Elector Carl Theodo, who was responsible for the Heidelberg Bridge.

I'll let @texasstarshow the other side and fill in the story.  

Great pic, and interesting sculpture.

Edited by Daisi
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, notamermaid said:

Weird one! I think I can place this to a wide area, kind of, but I may be wrong. The town bus looks a German make, the road sign vaguely (difficult to see on my smartphone) and there are concrete stumps for separating a square from the road. Not sure, but I will put this in Germany. You say it is an excursion so I was thinking of Heidelberg, but I have never heard of a connection with pigs. Perhaps a town legend somewhere else, or a reference to a German saying (something with fools?)

It is not Schweinfurt, which literally means ford in the river which pigs are driven or guided through. They have really gone to town (I know, cannot resist that one 'grin') with their pig figures and statues referencing the town's name.

Not sure that this fits anywhere other than the Southern half of Germany or perhaps the German-speaking Switzerland.

notamermaid

You are in the general area, but not Heidelberg.

4 hours ago, Daisi said:

The lucky pig of Schwetzingen, Schloss Schwetzingen, from Heidelberg excursion, Rhine River.

Honouring Prince - Elector Carl Theodo, who was responsible for the Heidelberg Bridge.

I'll let @texasstarshow the other side and fill in the story.  

Great pic, and interesting sculpture.

You got it Daisi.  You are up.  Unfortunately, I did not take a picture of the other side.  It is just outside the Schwetzingen Castle and gardens.  The pig is said to be a good luck charm.  Elector Carl Theodo is riding the pig, not sure who the woman is.  Elector Theodo is said to have had a knack for acquiring land legally to pass on to his heirs without paying inheritance tax.

Nominating people for (or rather instead of) a wild card, nice idea! Looking forward to the contribution. I am sure he will be happy to take it.

To remind people (unconnected to AnhalterER1960, just saying): it is not important to have been on a river cruise to take part and your photo does not have to be from a river cruise. It can be from a land trip on or near a river or canal that has been or will be sailed by a river cruiser potentially. Douro, Elbe, Kiel Canal, Mississippi, Seine, Yangtze, etc. will be fine.

Now over to the nominee...

notamermaid

Actually, I was tempted, but I guess ljandgb  gave the nomination (thank you !) provided that I dont chose a Paris-pic.

Ok then, name what is in the photo. First guess any river but the Seine. After that name the town/city/place (not Paris).. The person who first guesses correctly gets to post the next photo.

wwwsearch2.JPG

8 hours ago, Daisi said:

I found this when I went looking, it's the other side.  I believe the woman is one of his mistresses, apparently, he had a few.  

lucky-pig-schlossplatzfest-schwetzingen-baden-wurttemberg-germany-places-of-interest-culture-monument-historic-center.jpg

They must have made a couple of different ones of that statue.  The picture originally posted has the riders looking to their left (with her feet on the pigs right).  This one is the other way

20190907_121453.thumb.jpg.c8e378bb2c97aac33eea11fa9af72dc1.jpg

Hope it's not Budapest or Prague....I don't want to fly in or out with UFO's floating around.  🙂

@Schmo, the picture I posted is the front of the texasstar's picture.  Just showing the faces that is why it seems reversed.  From what I found online, there is only the one statue.

12 hours ago, Shmoo here said:

They must have made a couple of different ones of that statue.  The picture originally posted has the riders looking to their left (with her feet on the pigs right).  This one is the other way

Well observed.  But I think there is an easier explanation, at least much easier than copying the statue: A photoshopped 180 deg- horizontal reflection in one of the pictures. Look the reversed.... Looking left, feet right, that is how the majority of the Google-hits show the statue.

lucky-pig-reversed.jpg

3 hours ago, Daisi said:

Hope it's not Budapest or Prague....I don't want to fly in or out with UFO's floating around.  🙂

No, it is not Budapest (nor Bratislava), and neither Prague nor Paris 🙂 Irt is a starting (or end) point of river cruises, which do not cruise the river passing that city.

I think that light is a "sign" denoting maximum headroom for the overpass or bridge. The red lights are on the control tower, right? I think I have an idea. Germany?

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
Added info