The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

Rhein Mosel Halle? Nope, structure too modern. Other than the venues already mentioned, I can think of only the Kolbenz Theater and that is not the building in your photo. 

I am assuming this was a classical concert? That is my passion (I am a pianist) and I have no idea of the venue.

Edited by dogs4fun

11 minutes ago, Mitina said:

Schloss Engers and on the Rhine

Congratulations! 🎆 

It is indeed. The flag is of Neuwied (Engers is in that administration) and has the colours of the once noble House of Wied. It is a chamber music venue and famous for its Diana Hall. It was built as an Electoral Palace, the gentleman resided in Trier but had hunting expeditions from Engers into the forests - hence Diana.

Over to you.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
Technical thing

2 minutes ago, dogs4fun said:

Ah - it is a hotel!  Never heard of it before now but looks like a lovely place to stay. Way to go! 

Crossed paths. The main building is the venue and academy with restaurant. Not sure how many actual guest rooms are in the building itself, but many are in an adjacent building that is not visible in the photo. One would need to enquire. There is a website of course with photos of the hall. The acoustics are good and I recommend it.

I think Viking mainly sails this stretch at night so can be overlooked.

The itinerary I hinted at is by Avalonwaterways on the Moselle and Rhine.

notamermaid

Name what is in the photo. First guess the river. After that name the town/city/place.
The person one who first guesses correctly gets to post the next photo!

Please, DO NOT POST any PHOTOS unless it is your turn.

D0DC4D6.jpg

3 minutes ago, Mitina said:

Name what is in the photo. First guess the river. After that name the town/city/place.

D0DC4D6.jpg

Hinterhaus Castle, Danube, Spitz, Austria

Robin

3 hours ago, dogs4fun said:

Ah - it is a hotel! 

Oops. I confused by implying it is not a guesthouse. I was focussed on making a difference between a guesthouse and a hotel (in tourism language). I did not realize you meant accommodation as such. Sorry.

@Mitina Thanks for joining in. My, Robin was very quick!

There sure are some nice castles standing atop European hills. That Chateau Gaillard -assuming it is correct - looks impressive, I try to imagine what it would have been like for a 14th century knight: "How I am supposed to attack that??"

notamermaid

2 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

Oops. I confused by implying it is not a guesthouse. I was focussed on making a difference between a guesthouse and a hotel (in tourism language). I did not realize you meant accommodation as such. Sorry.

No need for apologies. It would not have mattered if you had said it was a hotel/guesthouse and provided many more clues - I still would not have been able to correctly identify the venue. I truly had no idea - I had never seen or heard of it prior to today.

I was looking at their website & learned that the owners of Engers is Landesstiftung Villa Musica Rheinland-Pfalz which trains musicians and organizes many chamber concerts throughout the region each year. Many of the young musicians in training live onsite.

You can elect to book a room in Schloss Engers or in Residenz Schloss Engers - I think I would prefer the castle. 

When visiting Europe, depending on my destination(s), I usually have a list of places to visit where some of my favorite composers lived, worked or performed. I did manage to visit the birthplace of Beethoven's mother in Koblenz (I'm kinda obsessed with Beethoven). 😏

7 minutes ago, dogs4fun said:

I did manage to visit the birthplace of Beethoven's mother in Koblenz (I'm kinda obsessed with Beethoven). 😏

Ah, yes, in Ehrenbreitstein, opposite Koblenz city. The Mutter-Beethoven-Haus.

24 minutes ago, dogs4fun said:

I was looking at their website & learned that the owners of Engers is Landesstiftung Villa Musica Rheinland-Pfalz which trains musicians and organizes many chamber concerts throughout the region each year. Many of the young musicians in training live onsite.

That is what I meant with academy. The state Rhineland-Palatinate has really got a great institution for young musicians with this.

Beethoven: that reminds me. They say in Bonn that they want to extent the Beethoven celebratory year into 2021.I have not read up on any details. And I have just remembered that I forgot to comment on jazzbeau's post on Liszt in the Rhine thread. Something to catch up with over the next few days.

notamermaid

11 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

And I have just remembered that I forgot to comment on jazzbeau's post on Liszt in the Rhine thread. Something to catch up with over the next few days.

notamermaid

That's ok:  I have forgotten about it too!  [edited:  Oh!  The Lorelei song.  Yes, I would be happy to read your thoughts on that.]

8 minutes ago, dogs4fun said:

Is the other one that you hiked Durnstein? 

It is. One of my husband's and my favorite hikes. Fortunately, they had signage strategically placed all the way up so I had a reason to stop (and catch my breath)

Robin

FLAM2_exterior.jpg.9ab6979e684cd98273de48d03dd4b768.jpg

Getting more tricky! On what edifice will you find this figure? River? City? Jazzbeau probably knows. 😉

Haven't a clue either. I guess erected between 1895 and 1910; either opera house or grand railway station. Certainly a city, in Europe? Or the European part of Russia. Or do they have these figures along a river in the US? The lady looks a little "heavy on muscles". Holding a strange-looking lyre (hence my idea of an opera house)?

Basically, I am lost.

notamermaid