New Saga protocols

silversurf

Saw somewhere on the internet that Saga will require COVID-19 test before you board. Does this mean that you would have to get a private test 72 hours before sailing? These tests are very expensive, at least £150 per person.

Also could be very difficult And expensive getting to test centre for the elderly or disabled, our nearest one is in London, which would involve two trains and long taxi ride. Very difficult as I use a wheelchair and need someone to push me.

I think the 72 hour test was just a PR "puff" piece, talking about possible scenarios. It has never been given any official credence.

And, as has been pointed out, the logistics are downright impossible, plus, what do you do in the 72 hours after the test has been taken? Self isolate?  Can't see that working.

Many countries ask for a 72hr Covid test before you can enter by plane. Some e.g Barbados want negative 72hr test , then you isolate in your hotel for 2 days not any hotel  only if it has the recognised government protocols , then another test , results next day . We are going for 2 weeks so  2 or 3 days not leaving hotel is ok, no good for a long weekend .

The second test is vital, so until tests are so simple can be analysed on board testing is a waste of time.

I am sure pre departure testing is not practical or acceptable or even reasonable.   Vaccine is the only way.  I am unable to see how we will be cruising again in the near future, and I am appalled to have to say that.  We have just stayed in a hotel in Salcombe, Devon.  A very nice hotel, lovely staff, good food but not relaxing.  Masks did not make me feel safe, but threatened by  an unseen enemy everywhere.  J

13 hours ago, nosapphire said:

Link to Saga's latest information on their website.

It certainly states pre-departure testing at home, and again at the cruise terminal.

https://travel.saga.co.uk/travel-updates/coronavirus-cruise-passengers.aspx

My apologies - missed that official announcement.  I assume that Saga will be arranging the logistics for the testing, and will be bearing the costs, which won't be  cheap.

12 hours ago, Jay23 said:

I am sure pre departure testing is not practical or acceptable or even reasonable.   Vaccine is the only way.  I am unable to see how we will be cruising again in the near future, and I am appalled to have to say that.  We have just stayed in a hotel in Salcombe, Devon.  A very nice hotel, lovely staff, good food but not relaxing.  Masks did not make me feel safe, but threatened by  an unseen enemy everywhere.  J

We have just come back from a week near Salcombe as well, but self catering. During the course of our stay we used around a dozen different cafes, pubs, restaurants etc, and our experience was the opposite of yours. Everyone wore masks, good social distancing etc everywhere, and we felt totally relaxed and safe .  

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

We have just come back from a week near Salcombe as well, but self catering. During the course of our stay we used around a dozen different cafes, pubs, restaurants etc, and our experience was the opposite of yours. Everyone wore masks, good social distancing etc everywhere, and we felt totally relaxed and safe .  

Yes exactly.   Everyone did wear masks and social distanced.  We had friendly conversations with lots of people.  This is not a different experience from yours. It is my perception of life at the moment.  I am really pleased that you enjoyed your stay in Devon.  Unfortunately I did not find it relaxing most of the time even though the hotel tried their hardest to make it so.  The wet weather did not help by the way!!!!     J