Great Article on how Costa Cruises have Re-opened

boze9999

We will do this on our March cruise if necessary at that time but I can't imagine doing our October '21 cruise under these conditions, mainly due to the restrictions on excursions. I assume at least some of it will be in force for quite some time. I am just wondering how they will manage keeping the occupancy down on some of these earlier cruises that may already be pretty full. Will they do like the airlines when it comes to overbooking, ask for compensated volunteers? That could get messy.

Edited by fatcat04

I read the whole thing, and agree with CB!

It is apparent that Costa is doing their utmost to (a) assure safety, while (b) not ruining the cruise experience (one of my chief concerns). I would certainly entertain the possibility of cruising under those conditions - in the interim until more "normal" operations are possible.

I think the key takeaway is that Costa is getting some real-world experience in dealing with the current situation (that other lines are not). I hope they will share what they learned with the industry.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, fatcat04 said:

I can't imagine doing our October '21 cruise under these conditions, mainly due to the restrictions on excursions

I completely agree with you on the shore excursions.  I deliberately chose November in the hopes that things will have improved by then and such restrictions will not be in place.

We have been to a lot of the ports on our itinerary before and we know what we want to do and for the most part, a shore excursion doing “highlights” doesn’t cut it for us.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I would dearly love to know what a "hands-free massage experience" entails! 🤔

My gym has a station set up where you basically get zipped into a “recovery” device that looks like padded hip waders, and the device massages your muscles. I have not met anyone who tried it yet, but Perhaps it would be something like that. 

4 hours ago, What was that? said:

I read the whole thing, and agree with CB!

It is apparent that Costa is doing their utmost to (a) assure safety, while (b) not ruining the cruise experience (one of my chief concerns). I would certainly entertain the possibility of cruising under those conditions - in the interim until more "normal" operations are possible.

I think the key takeaway is that Costa is getting some real-world experience in dealing with the current situation (that other lines are not). I hope they will share what they learned with the industry.

You and I appear to have a different take on what ruins a cruise experience.

9 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Could your perception of a "cruise experience" now be overcame by a pandemic, and perhaps not possible anymore?

Absolutely, at least for some period of time.  I am willing to compromise on some things in the short term but the current list is too extensive.  The absolute deal breaker for us is only allowing disembarkation in ports with ships tours.  As long as that is in effect we will not cruise.

• Like 2

I would very willingly take a cruise with these restrictions.  We cruise to be on a ship at sea.

Having read the "live from" posts by Germancruiser, petra, and Miaminice, I'm even more convinced that I would enjoy the experience.  They all posted very positive experiences.

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

I would very willingly take a cruise with these restrictions.  We cruise to be on a ship at sea.

Having read the "live from" posts by Germancruiser, petra, and Miaminice, I'm even more convinced that I would enjoy the experience.  They all posted very positive experiences.

Hopefully for the cruise industry there are more people like you then like me.

2 hours ago, KirkNC said:

Absolutely, at least for some period of time.  I am willing to compromise on some things in the short term but the current list is too extensive.  The absolute deal breaker for us is only allowing disembarkation in ports with ships tours.  As long as that is in effect we will not cruise.

The cruise we have booked for March has private islands and ports we have been to several times, so no biggie to us.  But otherwise, I would agree with you.