Stateroom Card Hole Punch

What was that?

We haven't had a trivial, dumb question in a while, so here I go: do Viking Ocean (and River, for that matter) have a tool onboard to punch an oblong hole in my stateroom card so I can clip it onto my lanyard?

I am optimistic that I may cruise on Viking sometime in the future, with two cruises booked...

Thanks!

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, What was that? said:

We haven't had a trivial, dumb question in a while, so here I go: do Viking Ocean (and River, for that matter) have a tool onboard to punch an oblong hole in my stateroom card so I can clip it onto my lanyard?

I am optimistic that I may cruise on Viking sometime in the future, with two cruises booked...

Thanks!

Yes they had a hole punch on Viking Ocean.  However every time my card was punched, it would not work to open my room.  We tried it 3 times and gave up. 

1 hour ago, What was that? said:

Thanks!

We take a small plastic see-through pouch (credit card size) and place the stateroom card inside the pouch, which we hang on a lanyard. We have never punched a hole in the actual card and (as per TayanaLorna's comment) we have heard that the cards do not work if you do.

Further to your question yesterday re sliding doors, I didn't respond as I can't be sure about all PS cabins. But from memory we have had sliders in each of the PS cabins we have been in.

Not sure whether all beds on Deck 7 face the same direction.

• Like 1

Monty - I know that HAL provides the card punch “service” - as it were - but I was wondering about Viking. I also have card holders for my lanyard but they are slightly more bulky and are slightly less secure. 

Maybe someone else knows about the PS staterooms. 

I appreciate you taking the time to respond. 

5 hours ago, TayanaLorna said:

Yes they had a hole punch on Viking Ocean.  However every time my card was punched, it would not work to open my room.  We tried it 3 times and gave up. 

This is because the door locks onboard are RFID as opposed to magnetic strip like other lines and as a result when you punch a hole in the card (if not done correctly) you break the RFID circuit inside the card resulting in it not being able to communicate with the lock, thus not opening the door.   You would think that the staff would know this after being in operation for a few years but apparently not if they tried your card 3 times with no success and no doubt countless others with the same result...

I have a few eyeglass holders with strings to wear around my neck.  The card works when inside the case unless you're coming home from the bar and try it on the wrong room.  Others have tried the punch without success.  Viking has given us nice leather card holders which also work well without removing the card from the case.

Amazon offers a number of different clear plastic ID holders with lanyards. Many schools, companies, elevators require scans, so this is a way to keep them accessible and visible.  $5 to $10

My company used to give them out as promos at trade shows, people always loved them.