Good Camera for Alaska

bubbapuck

My wife and I are going to cruise to Alaska next summer (fingers crossed). We want to invest in a good video camera to document our trip but dont want to break the bank. We have looked at the GoPro's as I have heard they are good, reliable, waterproof cameras. I dont know if anyone has any suggestions on other cameras?

Thanks... EB

8 hours ago, bubbapuck said:

My wife and I are going to cruise to Alaska next summer (fingers crossed). We want to invest in a good video camera to document our trip but dont want to break the bank. We have looked at the GoPro's as I have heard they are good, reliable, waterproof cameras. I dont know if anyone has any suggestions on other cameras?

Thanks... EB

Try an iPhone12, the video on them are pretty good, and they are also a computer, phone, tablet, internet access device and not to shabby HD video too, the latest ones are also waterproof too!

• Like 1

A good multi-purpose photo/video camera would be the Sony RX-100 series. There are several iterations with various levels of zoom but any of them would provide a lot of versatility for photos and video. The only way a GoPro would be superior would be if you are an extreme activities person and need a droppable/submergable unit. Imaging on a GoPro is very wide and an eagle at more than 20 ft would look like a fancy sparrow and a bear at 200 yards would look like a very small dog. The RX-100 series starts at a couple hundred more than a GoPro and the latest ones are around $1000, but they are unmatched in performance for their size and cover a much wider range of possible photo situations. They are also small enough (pocketable) to be used with one of the smaller stabilizing gimbals available on Amazon.

Dave

• Like 1

I have 3 GoPro's ... not a good choice for Alaska. 

I concur ... The Sony RX- 100 is a solid performer. 

A few bucks more and you could get a used RX10-IV in good condition. The RX10-IV has a 24-600mm equivalent zoom. Does video and photos equally well  .... 

Here is a picture taken with a Sony RX10-IV ... perfect example picture for Alaska.

DSC05426-Edit.jpg

• Like 4

12 hours ago, bubbapuck said:

Absolutely love these cameras but unfortunately outside of my budget. Hopefully I can find a good Black Friday deal or something. 

Believe it or not I bought the Nikon P900 new for under $500. Check Amazon, B&H etc.......

• Like 1

And somewhere between the P900 super zoom and Sony RX-10 series are the Panasonic FZ 1000 and 1000 mark 2 cameras

They use the same larger sensor size as the Sony, extensive video features and a nice [Leica branded] lens. Much cheaper than the RX-10 series in general. [note that some later RX-10's have some degree of weather sealing - the FZ1000 does not claim any]

I think if I had the space [and budget] a P9000 + some larger sensor or more compact camera would be nice.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, TheOldBear said:

And somewhere between the P900 super zoom and Sony RX-10 series are the Panasonic FZ 1000 and 1000 mark 2 cameras

They use the same larger sensor size as the Sony, extensive video features and a nice [Leica branded] lens. Much cheaper than the RX-10 series in general. [note that some later RX-10's have some degree of weather sealing - the FZ1000 does not claim any]

I think if I had the space [and budget] a P9000 + some larger sensor or more compact camera would be nice.

After my cousin borrowed my P900 she bought the P1000. It has a pretty amazing 125X optical zoom. She does a lot of wildlife shoots and works part time for Nat Geo. She loves the camera

Abes of Maine has the Nikon P1000 for $849.00, Thats a great price

Edited by Laszlo
  • Like 1

I have 10 cameras I use for wedding photos/video. I've used large commercial video cameras including Canon Panasonic and Sony. They were heavy and I wanted something much lighter/smaller that had many of the high end features I'd grown accustom to. I've had Sony RX10 series in use for the last 7 years and currently use three RX10IV. Yes to some they may seem pricy but as I can afford to use whatever I want they are in fact economical for what they are capable of doing. IMO, the best all around camera for the moderate budget person. When the lights go real low I pull out my Sony A7iii's with fast glass but that is 4X the money as a used but clean RX10IV. A used but very clean RX10IV can be had for around $1000 😉

Edited by Tahitianbigkahuna
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Tahitianbigkahuna said:

I have 10 cameras I use for wedding photos/video. I've used large commercial video cameras including Canon Panasonic and Sony. They were heavy and I wanted something much lighter/smaller that had many of the high end features I'd grown accustom to. I've had Sony RX10 series in use for the last 7 years and currently use three RX10IV. Yes to some they may seem pricy but as I can afford to use whatever I want they are in fact economical for what they are capable of doing. IMO, the best all around camera for the moderate budget person. When the lights go real low I pull out my Sony A7iii's with fast glass but that is 4X the money as a used but clean RX10IV. A used but very clean RX10IV can be had for around $1000 😉

At the end of the day the best camera for you is one you use. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

At the end of the day the best camera for you is one you use. 

Totally agree ... I own 10 cameras and use the best one based on the application. 

However  ... If I only had 1 camera I could use/own from my arsenal it would be an RX10IV simply because they are the best all around camera for a wide amount of uses.

Several other cameras are similar but as I know the Sony menu system it was a no brainer for me.

Edited by Tahitianbigkahuna
  • Like 1

On 10/15/2020 at 11:20 AM, Laszlo said:

After my cousin borrowed my P900 she bought the P1000. It has a pretty amazing 125X optical zoom. She does a lot of wildlife shoots and works part time for Nat Geo. She loves the camera

Abes of Maine has the Nikon P1000 for $849.00, Thats a great price

I would check out Abes of Maine before you buy. If you have time for reading, Google abes site:uglyhedgehog.com. or 

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/homeowners/abes-of-maine.html?page=2#sort=top_reviews&filter=1 

B&H or Adorama, Best Buy for that mater are reputable online retailers I have purchased equipment from B&H since 1981. I have had no issues with either. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, KYBOB said:

I would check out Abes of Maine before you buy. If you have time for reading, Google abes site:uglyhedgehog.com. or 

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/homeowners/abes-of-maine.html?page=2#sort=top_reviews&filter=1

B&H or Adorama, Best Buy for that mater are reputable online retailers I have purchased equipment from B&H since 1981. I have had no issues with either. 

I hear you, I've bought 2 items from Abe's and never had any of those problems. However most of my camera equipment has come from B&H. I could spend a half a day just walking around their store Lol

• 2 weeks later...

I have done a lot of research and have decided to up my budget a little. I am looking at the Canon SL3. If I can find a good Black Friday deal, I may go up to the canon 90d but I don’t think the price will drop that low. 

any thoughts on these two cameras?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, bubbapuck said:

I have done a lot of research and have decided to up my budget a little. I am looking at the Canon SL3. If I can find a good Black Friday deal, I may go up to the canon 90d but I don’t think the price will drop that low. 

Check out Snapchick. She does a lot of camera reviews....  https://www.youtube.com/c/TheSnapChick/videos

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/25/2020 at 12:37 PM, bubbapuck said:

Why are you going for a budget APS-C DSLR in 2020?  What do you plan on trying to photograph? What are your long term goals? what IS your budget?  It doesn't seem to make a lot of sense for your situation.

why are you unsatisfied with people's superzoom/bridge camera recommendations? 

do you want to photo wildlife? or is that not a big concern?

• Like 1

On 10/25/2020 at 12:37 PM, bubbapuck said:

My Better half did use a Canon 80D but since has changed to one of our Sony RX10IV as it is a more capable camera 😉

• 2 weeks later...

Sony RX 100 series. Just got one a few months back and they are awesome. I even managed to track down an issue I was having with an AR jamming with its 7 seconds of filming at 1000fps. It's sharp, focuses fast and has a 24-200 equivalent collapsible lens. The only thing missing from my model (VI) is a external microphone input.

• 3 weeks later...

Second the Sony RX100 - I have an a7 iii with the 24-105mm f4.0 zoom, and my wife has the RX100 mark 7 since she wanted something better than her phone but can't hold a big camera. We took both on a trip to Mexico last week, and I was pretty impressed with the quality of hers - in daylight, they're pretty close. (I chose mine because I wanted high performance in low light.) If you can swing it (it's on the high end of compact P&S prices), the RX100 mark 7 won't disappoint.

The Sony RXIV has a 600mm equivalent lens and for Alaska you will want the reach/ I'd take a RX10IV over the 100 series and day ... just my opinion. I own three RX10IV  .... love them for stills and video 

BTW Strickerj  ... I own two Sony a7iii's and the 24 - 105 lens. For panos / walk around lens it does wonderfully but 105mm is 157mm in crop mode but one will likely want 600mm in Alaska 😉

Notice my picture on the other thread I'm using a 35mm prime ... the 24-105 would of been hard pressed to pull off that shot with no noise. I was able to keep my ISO at 500 seeing I was able to drop to F/1.4. 3 stops above would be f/4, the wide open on the 24- 105 but would of been at 4000 ISO and had some noise to deal with. But for a good walk around the 24-105 is a solid performer. 

• Like 1