What Do People Do In Europe Before Or After Transatlantic Cruise

Reggiefan

• 1 month later...

I will dock in Southampton on 1/10/2022 and plan to self navigate to London, either train or bus. Last time I used the Cunard transfer but it cost $75.  Now I have more confidence and will make my own plans.  I plan to have 2 full days )so 3 nights in London. I've been there before as a teenager (decades ago!) and just want to hit the highlights.  I then plan to take the Eurostar to Paris and stay at least 2 full days, probably 3 and hit the highlights there.  At this point not sure if I want to head south to Rome, in which case I would probably have a Eurail pass. Then up to Amsterdam (with a stopover somewhere in the middle) and after a few days there, Eurostar back to London where I will fly home.   Stlll planning and since I am a solo traveler will not be spending a lot of time having great dining experiences.  So many choices on where to go. I've even considered flying home from Rome.  or I might chicken out and just visit London and fly home. 

• 3 weeks later...

For those curious, I am currently booked on an eastbound Transatlantic crossing leaving New York on Dec. 3 and arriving in Southampton on Dec. 10. At this time, I am optimistic that by the last quarter of this year we will see largely a return to some normalcy. If by late July my assumption about a return to normalcy seems truly questionable, I will forego making final payment and consider the lost deposit a cost of doing business in these difficult times.

My preliminary itinerary, driven by the time of year, is Bath, York, London, Bruges, and then Amsterdam with a Christmas Eve flight home. I will be visiting all of these places for the first time, except for London, which I have visited several times.

Once all hotels in Southampton were fully booked so I spend a pre-cruise at Lyndhurst,  in the New Forest National Park. I stayed at a lovely authentic British heritage hotel for a couple of nights and enjoyed walks in the British countryside. Very relaxing and something very different.

1BA0D98A-BDCD-48D8-A697-502DBFE725B7.thumb.jpeg.7c08a6326e1b2f1c7bfce1aed90086f6.jpeg