P&O Cruise with Confidence

molecrochip

34 minutes ago, wowzz said:

The following link gives  information showing how to obtain exemption lanyards.

https://metro.co.uk/2020/10/06/how-to-get-face-covering-exemption-card-badge-lanyard-uk-13378724/

Unfortunately there are an awful lot of people who don't want to wear a mask who have paid their 50p to get a lanyard to 'prove' they don't need to wear a mask.

Personally I couldn't care less about non-mask wearers, both genuine and fake, provided they keep themselves at least 2 metres away from me.

However many non-mask wearers seem to forget that the 2 metre rule was relaxed to 1 metre plus with the 'plus' being the additional requirement of wearing a mask (mask wearing not to protect you but those around you). Take away the 'plus' and you need to keep your distance.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, picsa said:

Unfortunately there are an awful lot of people who don't want to wear a mask who have paid their 50p to get a lanyard to 'prove' they don't need to wear a mask.

Personally I couldn't care less about non-mask wearers, both genuine and fake, provided they keep themselves at least 2 metres away from me.

However many non-mask wearers seem to forget that the 2 metre rule was relaxed to 1 metre plus with the 'plus' being the additional requirement of wearing a mask (mask wearing not to protect you but those around you). Take away the 'plus' and you need to keep your distance.

I agree with you about those people who find a way to circumvent the rules. I was just trying to help Clodia out. 

I do feel however, that if you cannot medically wear a mask due to breathing issues,  you really shouldn't go out into public places at all.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

It might not be the answer for going on a cruise ship, but, is it possible for those who can’t wear masks to wear face shields instead 

Unless you have a full face shield, with an enclosure at the bottom, they are of no benefit whatsoever. Your breath still comes out of the bottom of the mask, dispersing aerosol droplets into the atmosphere. 

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I do feel however, that if you cannot medically wear a mask due to breathing issues,  you really shouldn't go out into public places at all.

This is something I have been thinking for a while, but would see that access to medical facilities or any other essential purpose should be excluded. 

What I do have a lack of sympathy for is people who say they have a psychological reason for not wearing a mask and we have seen some featured on the news.  I do not see why those people could not take some sort of medication to limit those feelings of fear when wearing a mask on occasions that they need to go into a place where mask wearing is deemed necessary.  Otherwise I can see they feel they should have a right to do what they want, but should that really include the ability to put others at risk of something that would be far more damaging?

I am asthmatic and, particularly on some days, I find wearing a mask does affect my ability to breathe properly and find it can make me feel somewhat weak, but I would not have any intention of claiming exemption for that reason as I appreciate the rule is to protect others as well as myself.  Non mask wearers in shops would be breathing on goods which will be purchased by others, so the two metre rule does not protect entirely IMO.

Edited by tring
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, tring said:

What I do have a lack of sympathy for is people who say they have a psychological reason for not wearing a mask and we have seen some featured on the news

I particularly remember the gent on an Easyjet flight back from Egypt who caused a fuss by saying that psychologically he could not wear a mask. Transpired he'd been on a diving holiday!! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My pondering about how UK registered ships sailing from UK ports would handle the issue was because (I think) UK law applies on board. Therefore they will have problems if their protocols state that "everybody" has to wear a mask on board. Whether refusing embarkation to somebody who was unable to wear a mask would be discrimination or not, I have no idea.

My personal feeling is that while masks may help prevent the spread of viruses, unless the CORRECT wearing is enforced it is a waste of time.

People not wearing a mask - OK, I can see them and stay clear. I can also understand that lung disease, being prone to serious panic attacks, etc., could make wearing a mask very difficult.

The ones that drive me to fury are those who smugly walk around with their nose sticking out over the top. Or who walk into a shop with the mask on, then immediately pull it down to their chin so they can continue their phone conversation.

Anyway, do people realise how big and ugly a nose looks poking out over the top of a mask?

Either wear the thing or don't wear it!

It's all immaterial to me anyway - I hate wearing a mask, I wear one when I am supposed to, but it would not be a holiday for me, so I'm a homebody for quite a while yet.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, wowzz said:

Unless you have a full face shield, with an enclosure at the bottom, they are of no benefit whatsoever. Your breath still comes out of the bottom of the mask, dispersing aerosol droplets into the atmosphere. 

However, it would still be better than no face covering at all, as some of the droplets would hit the shield. It's better than nothing at all 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wowzz said:

I particularly remember the gent on an Easyjet flight back from Egypt who caused a fuss by saying that psychologically he could not wear a mask. Transpired he'd been on a diving holiday!! 

I misread that initially wowzz and thought it said divine holiday, and  I wondered if maybe he was on Holy orders!😇😏

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

However, it would still be better than no face covering at all, as some of the droplets would hit the shield. It's better than nothing at all 

A lot of things would be better than nothing, but that is not relevant when we are talking about safety of a ship full of people.

I do not see why going on a cruise holiday is considered essential if requirements cannot be as adherred to for any reason.  Plenty of other holidays can be taken as alternatives.  We do not know how things will be or what rules will be required when sailing resumes anyway.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, tring said:

A lot of things would be better than nothing, but that is not relevant when we are talking about safety of a ship full of people.

I do not see why going on a cruise holiday is considered essential if requirements cannot be as adherred to for any reason.  Plenty of other holidays can be taken as alternatives.  We do not know how things will be or what rules will be required when sailing resumes anyway.

I did say that it might not be the answer for cruise ships - my comment was more about day to day life in general.  When I’ve been out, I’ve seen a few people wearing face shields. I’ve assumed they couldn’t wear a mask for some reason, but wear the shield instead. i.e. it’s better than not wearing anything at all. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, wowzz said:

I agree with you about those people who find a way to circumvent the rules. I was just trying to help Clodia out. 

Is it ok for me to wear a lanyard saying I am exempt from catching it? It is my view that if you can't wear a mask you need to stay away from people. If going around without a mask puts folk at greater risk, don't do it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

I misread that initially wowzz and thought it said divine holiday, and  I wondered if maybe he was on Holy orders!😇😏

I spent around 30 years diving. Many people found they couldn't wear a mask. Simple remedy, don't take up diving.

4 hours ago, wowzz said:

I went to the dentist this morning. When I was sitting in the chair he told me to take my mask off. Unbelievable. Then he took an exray. The dentist and nursie ran out of the room and left me there. How's that for inconsiderate.

All of your comments about staying locked up at home etc because I am genuinely exempt from mask wearing are unlawful disablist hate speech and have been reported. I have enough problems being disabled without this amount of hate. I am removing myself from this forum for the sake of my mental health, What a nasty bunch you are!

7 hours ago, wowzz said:

The following link gives  information showing how to obtain exemption lanyards.

https://metro.co.uk/2020/10/06/how-to-get-face-covering-exemption-card-badge-lanyard-uk-13378724/

I have a lanyard and a badge and am quite prepared to show them if it makes life easier for staff at the terminal or onboard.

12 minutes ago, Clodia said:

I have a lanyard and a badge and am quite prepared to show them if it makes life easier for staff at the terminal or onboard.

A 50p lanyard or badge bought off the internet proves nothing.

If the cruise companies want to entice customers back they will need to prove their product is safe, and taking people on trust when too many people are cheating (and that is not to say you are) is not the way to do it.

Edited by picsa
  • Like 3

I have a so called 'friend', well partner of a friend really.   he is exempt genuinely so when she went out she boasted that she borrowed his lanyard with "I have COPD on it". She has nothing wrong with her.

Same person still tries to touch and hug you.  Just cannot get it. When leaving a bar we all put our masks on to walk through to the exit and she declared that we didn't have to wear our masks as we were leaving!

This is where the law should be stricter somehow.  We had to have quite strong words with her.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Clodia said:

I think the issue you will have is the attitude of other passengers. 

I know you feel victimised, but unfortunately,  other people are trying to use loopholes in order to avoid the usage of masks. 

Interestingly enough, I have just come back from a truncated holiday in Lanzarote.  Mask wearing, even in semi-deserted public streets, was adhered to by 99.9% of the public. Those not wearing masks were made to feel very uncomfortable,  by way of various gestures, vocal comments etc!

I guess the issue is that whilst you are quite within your rights not to wear a mask, unfortunately you will be made to feel uncomfortable by passengers that believe you are putting their lives at risk.

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

I guess the issue is that whilst you are quite within your rights not to wear a mask, unfortunately you will be made to feel uncomfortable by passengers that believe you are putting their lives at risk.

I don't wish to prolong this debate......but the simple fact  from my perspective is that if the cruise protocol is wear a mask and someone can't that is unfortunate for them, but they can't join that cruise. I am also uncomfortable if the person standing one meter behind me in the queue isn't. They may be exempt from wearing one ,but I ain't exempt from catching this life threatening virus. Their discomfort V the life of me or my wife?. No contest.

• Like 8

57 minutes ago, zap99 said:

I don't wish to prolong this debate......but the simple fact  from my perspective is that if the cruise protocol is wear a mask and someone can't that is unfortunate for them, but they can't join that cruise. I am also uncomfortable if the person standing one meter behind me in the queue isn't. They may be exempt from wearing one ,but I ain't exempt from catching this life threatening virus. Their discomfort V the life of me or my wife?. No contest.

I totally agree.  This is not about criticism of any individual, but about the safety of an entire ship full of people.  If the disease takes a hold it would be an extremely dangerous for all passengers and crew.  Whatever restrictions are put in place will be to prevent that and not all restrictions are liked by everyone.  I, like others, do not want to find we cannot go ashore independently and other people draw the line on different restrictions.  Hence everyone can make up their own mind as to whether they still want to cruise, but everyone is at liberty not to cruise whilst certain restrictions are in place.  I do think cruise companies should refund or change the booking if people do not want to cruise.  Not allowing that is what would be discrimination.

If someone uses a wheelchair they need to have that pre arranged with the cruise company because only a limited number of wheelchair users are allowed on a ship at any one time due to evacuation procedures needing to be done within a certain time scale.  That is not discrimination against any wheelchair users sailing after the allocation is full, but a safety measure for all on the ship, including the wheelchair users.

Edited by tring
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Clodia said:

I have great sympathy for you because having any disability is bad enough without being discriminated against but I have to say that having a badge and lanyard does not mean that you will not be putting all of the other passengers at risk.  At the end of the day a cruise ship is an enclosed environment and to allow someone to put several thousands of people at risk is unacceptable.  Everyone,disabled or not is entitled to expect that the cruise line is implementing rules to protect them (as far as is feasible) from disease or injury.

• Like 8

As a full time carer for my disabled wife I am well aware of the problems disabilities cause, and I am also sympathetic to those with hidden disabilities, so I can also understand the problems that anyone unable to wear a face max must  currently face. But at least you are well aware that they have no mask, and can take the necessary steps to keep a safe distance from them. That will certainly not be the case with antvaxxers who will most likely be wearing a mask but once the vaccination programme is in full swing will represent a far greater, and hidden danger, to the rest of us.

The Sea Dream cruise currently underway in the Caribbean has been forced to return to Barbados, as someone has tested positive for Covid whilst on board, despite testing negative before boarding. They have immediately returned to Barbados and passengers are confined to their cabins.

https://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/news/5727/

https://thepointsguy.com/news/caribbean-cruise-covid-scare-seadream/

‘The Points Guy’ is Gene Sloan. He’s tweeting his experiences whilst onboard. His Twitter handle is @CruiseLog 

One if his tweets said that they didn’t have to wear a mask onboard until yesterday. This could be a serious own goal for Sea Dream.

Even if the passenger’s positive test is a false positive, it seems fair to say that one hint of Covid on board means that the cruise is effectively over, which explains why P&O are so coy on this issue. 

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

One if his tweets said that they didn’t have to wear a mask onboard until yesterday. This could be a serious own goal for Sea Dream.

That suprises me, because one of the protocols on many cruise lines state the mandatory use of face masks. I'm amazed that they weren't compulsory on board when they are everywhere else. 

Avril