From Heathrow to Viking cruise

Greenwich is about 6 miles from Central London, so one way to do this would be to stay in the centre for your two nights, to take in the tourist sites you are interested in. Greenwich is well worth an explore itself, but it looks as if you have a night on the ship, so you could do that then? Probably book a car transfer to Greenwich on the day of embarkation (there are public transport options). Same with transfers from Heathrow into town - there are innumerable threads and posts on this board about the options. 

What you want to do and see in London my marginally impact what area you should stay, and your budget and expectations significantly impact which hotels, B&Bs or AirBnB options! Again, masses of material on here or the London Toolkit website to help you. 

• Like 1

we did this cruise, beginning in London / Greenwich, spent a couple of days in London first.  question becomes how much dragging of your own bags do you want to do?  You can take public transportation (tube) to London and then depending on where you stay drag bags to your hotel.  We did this ... I'll not do it again! A taxi provides door to door service.... Our hotel was a few blocks from Victoria Station.  To get to Greenwich on boarding day we just took a taxi ... again door to door service.  The 'tent' Viking operated from was set up in the shadow if Cutty S' .... taxi driver probably will have no idea about Viking or where to drop you for the cruise so just ask to go to Cutty S' ... at the taxi drop off there were Viking staff to assist. (you COULD take the tube if you want to drag bags). Depending on when you check on board you have the rest of that day and the full following day to explore Greenwich (including Viking's included walking tour) with an evening departure (could vary due to tides)

IMG_0890.JPG

IMG_0913.JPG

100_0191.JPG

41 minutes ago, Capt_BJ said:

you COULD take the tube if you want to drag bags).

I agree with all you say, and great to have the personal experience, but for the sake of accuracy, it’s not the tube, it’s the Docklands Light Railway (DLR) to the snappily named ‘Cutty Sark for Maritime Greenwich’ station 😀

The tube station North Greenwich is a couple of miles away, so a long bag drag! 

• Like 1

image.thumb.png.3629034ce2e22d9de83b816832fe25c1.png

yes at Cutty you'd technically be DLR .. but this map and others show DLR as part of the 'tube' ... in Gren' it IS underground having gone under the river!  But no matter ... much easier to taxi (and not expensive enuf that I even remember what it cost)

image.thumb.png.6bf4290cfbc8c49935c784455027daed.png

circle: Viking accepts luggage here - this is where their shuttle busses arrive

diamond: Viking had a tent here for checkin ... 

arrow: where you get the water taxi / shuttle to the ship ... there is no pier for the cruise ship

Edited by Capt_BJ
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Capt_BJ said:

image.thumb.png.3629034ce2e22d9de83b816832fe25c1.png

yes at Cutty you'd technically be DLR .. but this map and others show DLR as part of the 'tube' ... in Gren' it IS underground having gone under the river!  But no matter ... much easier to taxi (and not expensive enuf that I even remember what it cost)

image.thumb.png.6bf4290cfbc8c49935c784455027daed.png

circle: Viking accepts luggage here - this is where their shuttle busses arrive

diamond: Viking had a tent here for checkin ... 

arrow: where you get the water taxi / shuttle to the ship ... there is no pier for the cruise ship

Could you add the location of the DLR station to this map? (Personally as a single I will almost never take a cab or transfer; I only travel with as much luggage as I can manage on my own.)

1 hour ago, gnome12 said:

Could you add the location of the DLR station to this map? (Personally as a single I will almost never take a cab or transfer; I only travel with as much luggage as I can manage on my own.)

The Greenwich Cutty Sark DLR station is just a half-inch or so diagonally down and to the left of the red circle--literally just one minute's walk to the circled luggage drop-off location.

However...  I should point out one significant drawback of the DLR--namely, the fact that Bank Station (the central London terminus of the DLR, and which also serves the Central and Northern underground lines) is without question the most confusing and user-unfriendly underground station in London.

Having travelled between central London and Greenwich via public transport on numerous occasions, both with and without luggage, I greatly prefer the train to the DLR.  At the London end, one can board the train at any of several stations, including St Pancras, Farringdon, and Blackfriars Station.  In Greenwich, you alight at Greenwich Station, a half mile from the Cutty Sark station.  It's an easy walk if you have a manageable amount of luggage; otherwise, a very short cab ride.

https://goo.gl/maps/3PpgKTcHyNhtEnND8

4 hours ago, Post Captain said:

Bank Station (the central London terminus of the DLR, and which also serves the Central and Northern underground lines) is without question the most confusing and user-unfriendly underground station in London.

I can’t imagine why you’d say that, just take this handy 3D map with you 🤣

I’d enter via Monument for the DLR platforms (Bank and Monument stations are one complex). 

Very good point about the train (I’d add London Bridge to your starting points, so an easy change from Waterloo/Charing Cross areas). I’d always take visitors down by DLR and back by a river boat, to sightsee and pretend to drive the DLR train, but if you just want to get to Greenwich outside the evening rush and don’t mind the walk, the train is an excellent option. 

AEB26E26-F2C2-4490-9DF9-579ACCB5D33E.jpeg