''Amazing Race'' is back tonight, are you glad to see someone traveling.

dolittle

6 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

Competition shows are a little less scripted since the drama comes form who wins the challenges rather than interpersonal relationships. Plus you can't interfer too much in a competition based show in case it effects the outcomes in which case accusations might be thrown around it being a fixed game.

Next thing you will say is not Wrestling is fixed.

Sometimes I think I could do well in the game... I could try to build a motorbike, assemble a wooden donkey, slide in a basket-sled down a big hill, figure out maps and road signs in every language, learn the Greek guards march or to Tango, and do the other puzzles.

BUT, once it shifts to significant physical challenges, like rock climbing, or plowing muddy rice paddies with an ox... I'd get flattened.

Where's the race for old, fat people??  Who's in with me??

• Like 3

4 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

WWE as far as I know doesn't offer prize money and the performers get a salary and percentage of royalties like actors. Whereas reality contestants only get a daily stipend and there is substantial prize money for the winner. I would personally liken Amazing Race more to a quiz show that travels around the world😉. I would think there would probably be rules about fair competition that would require producers not to overly interfere. 

• Like 1

On 10/15/2020 at 5:16 AM, evandbob said:

Reality shows are quite scripted and drama is manufactured with behind the scenes direction and intentional editing.

I would say not literally "scripted" but definitely "directed".  And, of course the editing is very intentional.

3 hours ago, Sue Do-Over said:

Sometimes I think I could do well in the game... I could try to build a motorbike, assemble a wooden donkey, slide in a basket-sled down a big hill, figure out maps and road signs in every language, learn the Greek guards march or to Tango, and do the other puzzles.

BUT, once it shifts to significant physical challenges, like rock climbing, or plowing muddy rice paddies with an ox... I'd get flattened.

Where's the race for old, fat people??  Who's in with me??

For me everything would come to a screeching halt when the bungie jump came into view.  😄

Edited by ldubs
  • Haha 1

On 10/16/2020 at 11:45 AM, lenquixote66 said:

I was once ushering at a sports arena one day before a WWF wrestling show.  The wrestling performers were rehearsing for their matches in the same way that actors rehearse for their performances.   Yes - wrestling is fixed.

DON

8 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

I was once ushering at a sports arena one day before a WWF wrestling show.  The wrestling performers were rehearsing for their matches in the same way that actors rehearse for their performances.   Yes - wrestling is fixed.

DON

I was being facetious.Here is a plus comment about Wrestlers.In 1994 I was working for the Make A Wish Foundation.My job was to get pro athletes to appear.Nearly every baseball player that I contacted asked for big bucks.The wrestlers not only did not ask for payment but they came to the event 4 hours early to help set up,stayed way past the end to help clean up and the kids loved them.

I love The Amazing Race.  I have watched it since it began years ago.  I am pretty sure when Covid hit I read that they were in the middle of filming and had to send everyone home.  Anyone else hear that?

I just googled and found that the end of February they stopped filming season 33.  They had 3 shows filmed where they went to two countries, England and Scotland.  I hope someday they will be able to finish filming. If it takes too long some of the contestants might not be able to take time off from work, etc.  They also might look a little different (hair color, weight, etc).  If some teams are not married or related they might not be together anymore.  Interesting situation!

Edited by dickinson

1 hour ago, dickinson said:

I love The Amazing Race.  I have watched it since it began years ago.  I am pretty sure when Covid hit I read that they were in the middle of filming and had to send everyone home.  Anyone else hear that?

I just googled and found that the end of February they stopped filming season 33.  They had 3 shows filmed where they went to two countries, England and Scotland.  I hope someday they will be able to finish filming. If it takes too long some of the contestants might not be able to take time off from work, etc.  They also might look a little different (hair color, weight, etc).  If some teams are not married or related they might not be together anymore.  Interesting situation!

I read that re Amazing Race.I love that show because it transports me to places I will likely never get to.

2 hours ago, dickinson said:

I hope someday they will be able to finish filming. 

Usually in a situation of interrupted competition they will ditch and start again. When they can film again they may contact some couples if they want to participate but chances are they will recast most it🙄

On 10/16/2020 at 4:16 PM, ldubs said:

I would say not literally "scripted" but definitely "directed".  And, of course the editing is very intentional.

I know people who have been on Amazing Race and Bachelorette, and I myself have been on reality TV.  Trusted me, a lot of it is scripted.  On Amazing Race, while the contest is mostly real, they still need to script it in a way to keep them mostly together when traveling.  

Edit...I took out details as to not unintentionally spoil it for some.

Edited by Aquahound

If you are really desperate for a travel program, really desperate, Verrückt Nach Meer has new programs available in German, believe they were recorded last fall. https://www.daserste.de/information/reportage-dokumentation/verrueckt-nach-meer/index.html

I understand the language, find the episodes cold and boring, as do many of the German speaking commenters. Others praise the sightseeing. The cruisers aboard the 400 passenger Hamburg make Holland America passengers look young by comparison. They have cruised from the Caribbean to the Great Lakes and South America.

Edited by whogo

36 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

I know people who have been on Amazing Race and Bachelorette, and I myself have been on reality TV.  Trusted me, a lot of it is scripted.  On Amazing Race, while the contest is mostly real, they still need to script it in a way to keep them mostly together when traveling.  

Scripted is really the wrong word because that would put the contestants in the category of actors so legally they would have to be paid more. I have noticed in the last few years they do seem to be making sure everyone is in the country at relatively the same time so they are clearly producing it in a way to make that happen (opening hours seems to be the most popular technique) however there are many times when contestants have fallen incredibly behind so it can't be nearly as produced as The Bachelore where everything seems to to be a set up on the participants to elicit some sort of emotion or behaviour🤔

53 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

Usually in a situation of interrupted competition they will ditch and start again. When they can film again they may contact some couples if they want to participate but chances are they will recast most it🙄

This makes sense. 

9 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

Scripted is really the wrong word because that would put the contestants in the category of actors so legally they would have to be paid more. 

No they wouldn't.  Like I said, I was on reality TV and while what we said was not written in a script, at times we were told what to say and how to react.  DW and I were paid only $500 despite 60 hours of filming for a 30 minute show.  

17 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

No they wouldn't.  Like I said, I was on reality TV and while what we said was not written in a script, at times we were told what to say and how to react.  DW and I were paid only $500 despite 60 hours of filming for a 30 minute show.  

Asking you to say something and how to react is called directing therefore the correct terminology would be directed rather than scripted. I know that it sounds like semantics but that is how they determine who gets what pay and the benefits you are entitled to. Did you at least win any prizes with your show🤗

Edited by ilikeanswers

Just now, ilikeanswers said:

Asking you to say something and how to react is called directing therefore the correct terminology would be directed rather than scripted. I know that it sounds like semantics but that is how they determine who gets what pay and the benefits you are entitled to. 

That's not really true concerning reality tv but to avoid dragging this on, I'll just say I agree to disagree. 

15 minutes ago, fyree39 said:

I suppose ad libbing something vs. being handed a script and asked to memorize the lines is different. I'm sure SAG (Screen Actors Guild, the union) would be screaming if they thought reality show contestants were in the same category as actors.

Generally those are the rules, though it also depends what the ad libbing is and the context. SAG (and equivalent organisations around the world) have been pretty determined to define what constitutes acting vs a reality participant however there are productions that definitely blur these lines. As far as I know there are no special exemptions for Reality Shows as @Aquahound seems to suggest🤔though some productions may verge near the line. 

Edited by ilikeanswers

36 minutes ago, fyree39 said:

I suppose ad libbing something vs. being handed a script and asked to memorize the lines is different. I'm sure SAG (Screen Actors Guild, the union) would be screaming if they thought reality show contestants were in the same category as actors.

Good point.  Those on reality TV do not have SAG cards.  There's a big difference between reality "stars" and tv/movie actors, regardless of how much a reality show is scripted or not.  Totally different rules.  

Edited by Aquahound

My niece was on Survivor. I always knew reality shows were scripted to some degree but she really opened my eyes as to just how much is fake. Anyone who thinks these shows aren’t scripted is only kidding themselves. 

I seem to recall several months back someone on this board insisting that Below Decks is real. They just wouldn’t listen to the truth. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cruzaholic41 said:

I seem to recall several months back someone on this board insisting that Below Decks is real. They just wouldn’t listen to the truth. 

Ha!  Don't even get me started on that one.  That show's so far from real, it shouldn't even be considered reality.  😆

20 minutes ago, Cruzaholic41 said:

My niece was on Survivor. I always knew reality shows were scripted to some degree but she really opened my eyes as to just how much is fake. 

Survivor I find is very interpersonal drama based like the Batchelor but with a couple of challenges in between so I'm not surprised it is so heavily produced. It is one of the reasons I stopped watching the show. I much prefer competition based shows where the drama is who will succeed instead of who is back stabbing who 😒

Edited by ilikeanswers

30 minutes ago, Cruzaholic41 said:

My niece was on Survivor. I always knew reality shows were scripted to some degree but she really opened my eyes as to just how much is fake. Anyone who thinks these shows aren’t scripted is only kidding themselves. 

I hope you are not implying that the winners are chosen by the producers .