Cash budget for London Stay

Hi.  We plan on being in London 8 days before our cruise and 1 day after.  There will be 7 of us, three adults and 4 teens/ish.  I want to pay for things with a credit card like tickets I can buy in advance such as the London Eye and the Tower Bridge.  But, I need to budget for food and transportation and how much cash to have on hand.  Oh, and souvenirs.  I really don't want to work up a big credit card bill and, if I can, pay for everything the day of.  I'm saving like crazy 🙂

So, my question is this: How much cash would you guesstimate for me to bring for a day in London.  Yes, I realize you can't know our spending trends but I'm talking about how much should I budget for lunch and dinner and taxis/trains?  I have no clue how expensive London is.  Like is a hamburger, french fries and a drink - On the streets or in a family restaurant. Would I be budgeting closer to $4 or $40?  Taxis from one tourist place to another.  I'm guessing I would need two for a group of 7.  Riding the tube from St. John's Way in Archway to say, the London Eye.

I'm just looking for a ballpark.  Like I said, I want to be able to pay for the taxis the day of.  I also don't want to be silly about this.  If credit card is the way to go then I will do that too.  Which brings up the other point - do the taxis take credit cards?

Also, does anyone know a good car service for pick up from LHR to our airbnb and then again to the port and back again?

Thanks in advance.  This trip gets more and more.  We are now up to 27 days away from home.  The joys of being a grandparent and being able to take all four on a dream vacation just before they become adults and go on their own way.  This is truly MY fantasy vacation.  I'm not so sure about my DH.  I'll find out when I tell him.  LOL.

Wow, lots of questions there 😀 Hopefully some of our previous visitors will be able to share their experiences and budgets, to help you with the ballpark. The real answer, of course, is “more than you think”...

But to talk specifics, let’s think about transport. The most expensive journeys will be taking a “black cab”, the iconic London taxi you can flag down on the street. It will cost you around £3 to step in and then a metered charge per distance/time. Ballpark for short trips around town will be never less than £10, more likely £20. That’s per cab (no charge for additional passengers), and yes, you’ll need two - the traditional cab can take 5, there is a minivan-like version that can take 6. They are required to take cards at no extra fee (check on entry and if “the machine isn’t working”, get out and take another cab, although this may miraculously repair the machine!)

https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/taxis-and-minicabs/taxi-fares 

Other options include Uber and local private hire services, which will be cheaper. 

Public transport is your budgeting friend. Using an Oyster card you will never pay more than a capped amount of £7-20 each per day in central London for as many bus and tube journeys as you like. You are staying a fair way out, but Archway station is (just) in Zone 2, with Zone 1 being central London, and that cap covers both Zones. If you only take a couple of journeys (London is very walkable if you plan correctly) you will be charged the single fares if the total is less than the cap. Each person needs their own card, but you can add money to each one using your own credit card. You can use contactless debit or credit cards each instead of the Oyster, but it sounds as if not everyone in your party will have one, so I’d go the Oyster route. 
https://tfl.gov.uk/fares/how-to-pay-and-where-to-buy-tickets-and-oyster/pay-as-you-go/oyster-pay-as-you-go?intcmp=55536

Edited by Cotswold Eagle

The London Toolkit is a great resource, if you haven’t found it yet. This page has some indicative pricing of various food options, which will be helpful. Basically lunch anywhere between £3 (supermarket meal deal - sandwich, drink, snack - to eat in a park) and £20 (sit down in a chain restaurant - pizza/burger, drink, dessert) with fast food in the middle!

https://www.londontoolkit.com/briefing/prices_fast_food.html

Edited by Cotswold Eagle

If you're all physically able to manage Tube stations (and it sounds like you are, since you asked about the Tube), I would generally think you can do 90% or more of your sightseeing via the tube.  In my multiple trips to London, I've only ever used a taxi maybe twice and that was when I needed to get to a train station with my baggage early in the morning.  I suggest you take Cotswold's advice and get Oyster cards for everyone and use that extensively.  And just walk between sites when you can.  Part of the fun of London is walking around.

I would budget at least  £20-25 per person per meal and then pray for better.  It will all depend on where you eat.  Dinners especially can be more expensive if you choose nicer places.

I also would recommend you modify your thinking about using the credit card.  It really is a lot easier to use a card than carry around enough cash to do all this.  If you don't have one, I would get a credit card that does not charge international fees on purchases.  You can still save up for your trip,  but leave the money at home and use it to pay off your card when you return.

Finally, note that ATMs are everywhere in London and it's very easy to get cash from them from your US-based banks (notify the bank in advance of your travels).  I would never carry much cash over from the states with me.  Just a small amount to get you started.  Then get pounds from ATMs as needed.  I suppose if you're going with the all-cash approach for 7 people, then you might run into daily limits on ATM withdrawals (check in advance what your bank limits -- some machines may also place a limit).  

Obviously, it's a personal decision.  But I don't spend much cash at all when I travel in Europe.  

Edited by MeHeartCruising

7 hours ago, notentirelynormal said:

We plan on being in London 8 days before our cruise and 1 day after.

Lucky you - you will have the time to truly explore this great city. There is just so much to see and do in this fascinating city - one can truly please almost any taste!

You have already received excellent advice - we use the tube as it is fast, efficient, inexpensive & the system is extensive (will take you just about anywhere you want to go). We only use Uber if we have a very early morning flight (otherwise we take the tube to LHR).

One of the benefits of visiting London is the variety of free world class museums. Our favorites are the British Museum, Tate Britain, London Museum, National Gallery - your teens might enjoy the Museum of Natural History.

We use our credit cards extensively and only withdraw small amounts of GBP from the ATM.

Pubs offer inexpensive, filling fare and are, IMHO, a tad above in quality versus the usual fast food joints (average pub meal between £8 - £12). 

Below is a breakdown of average daily costs to visit the city (bear in mind that these prices are from September, 2018):

https://thesavvybackpacker.com/city-guide/daily-costs-visit-london/

Edited by dogs4fun

Why not put the money you think you will use and put it on your credit card while at home so you start off with a credit on your card and each Britain transaction will be taken off your credit. So you are not carrying a lot of cash with you.

Some places will ask if you want your receipt in your own currency or £.  I was told always in your own currency as you might get a better rate with your credit card.

Most places take a credit cards, some places might have a minimum £ to use a credit card.

You can get back VAT tax (not on food, hotel, transportation, for items leaving Britain).  When you purchase from a store (ex clothing) ask for a VAT receipt, the store has to fill in their portion to be able to claim. On your return to the airport, with all your STAMPED VAT receipts and items (have to be able to show items leaving) go to the VAT office (leave plenty of time to do this).

1 hour ago, phabric said:

Some places will ask if you want your receipt in your own currency or £.  I was told always in your own currency as you might get a better rate with your credit card.

Sorry, you have it backwards. You want to be charged in the LOCAL currency (in this case £) so that your credit card company will do the conversion at their better rates. If you choose your own currency, you get the rate chosen by the merchant. They have high loads.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

Sorry, you have it backwards. You want to be charged in the LOCAL currency (in this case £) so that your credit card company will do the conversion at their better rates. If you choose your own currency, you get the rate chosen by the merchant. They have high loads.

You are correct, it has been a few years

4 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

Correct. Not sure why this is confusing.

If you decide on pre-booked transportation from LHR into the city try the company we used Blackberry Cars from London.

Depending on your port try Smiths For Airports from London to port and back to LHR.

We used this company from the city to Southampton and from port back to LHR

Both of these very dependable.

Edited by Ashland
  • Like 1

Originally I had a time crunch as my 16 YO grandson goes to a Performing Arts School and he needs to be back to qualify for his vocation.  Once I decided to go early we could stay as long as we needed and not the three days I originally planned.  It will be a very long time before they are back – if ever – so I wanted to make sure they saw enough for great memories.  Plus, every moment with their cousins is memories they will cherish and something that is almost gone in today’s world.

😊  Yes, I know I always ask a lot….  BUT in fairness to me it is because I know that there are always loyal, smart and informed posters on CC that can give me the advice I need. 

I brag all the time about CC members.  I say, if you want to know where to get a certain brand of cigarettes or booze you can ask on CC.  Not only will someone tell you where to buy it, they will tell you exactly the store, how to do it and the price.  Okay, I might be exaggerating but I’m close.

So okay, money should be by credit card almost exclusively.  I make sure all my credit cards can be used overseas.  I like to travel and am too lazy to figure it out when I do.  Just give me the proper card in advance.   However, if we are stopping at a local/street vendor (I was thinking like a food truck would be here) then I would need cash there. 

I was thinking carrying around cash for, say, there is a vendor that has goofy hats or t-shirts but only takes cash.  Yes – I am one of those people.  I have tons of hats from Disneyland.  My convertible is shiny red and so are my Mickey ears that I wear when I drive.  I am gathering from your responses that everyone will take credit cards so I won’t worry about it now.

Still, there is the budget.  Your information tells me all I need for budgeting.  Thank you all.  I will still want to carry reserve money though.  I am not a fan of ATMs and rarely use them even at home.  My bank would find the use of me using one overseas very unusual indeed.

I will buy Oyster cards for everyone, even the kids.  Is it normal for an 10 YO to have their own card?  The kids are 16, 13, 12 and 10.  I want it to be easy and no thinking (well, for them).  I went on line and couldn’t quite figure out the best way to do it.  Should I just buy it when I get there or buy them before we leave?  How much should I put on each card.  Currently we will arrive on Friday noonish and will leave a week later on Saturday for the cruise. 

After the cruise we will spend the night at a place near the airport and leave early Sunday morning.   I was thinking of maybe catching a matinee or early live theatre show that day/night.  Any suggestions?  If I can’t do that I’ll leave that day to Windsor Castle.

I will check out Blackberry Cabs an Smiths For Airports.  I can not take the tube with all those suitcases.  Nope, not gonna do it.

Someone mentioned lunches in pubs.  So, it is okay for the kids to be in pubs?  That was something I was going to ask but never remember.

My Uncle also suggested Museums.  I will talk to all and see which one will be the most interesting to them.

Okay, I have to get going.  My 90 YO mother fell and broke her left hip a month ago.  This COVID thing is getting on my nerves.  Two years ago it was the right hip, last year her pelvic bone and this year her left hip.  I live in LA and she in San Diego.  It is about 350 miles round trip plus all the running around I do.  Talk about stress.  I am here just to take her to get an x-ray because she refuses to pay for transport.  Yesterday I had to learn how to put her in the car.  They wanted me to come in last Monday just to do that and I refused.  Please.  I said, I will be there Friday, you can teach me Thursday.  She stands up, pivots, sits, legs in and off we go.  I really need to come down for that (insert heavy sigh here).

It is good to take some £ with you.  My table mates from the ship, stopped at a small cafe while on an excursion, they tried to pay with US$ and credit card, the cafe only took £ cash.  The man had to go to the post office for cash and returned to pay.

I have used International Friends ( see below) from Southampton to our London hotel with stops at Salisbury, Stonehenge, and Windsor.  They only go on embarkment/disembarkment days with pickups from certain London hotels, LHR hotels, LHR.  A great way to see sights along the way to London and being dropped off at the door of your hotel or if a late flight.

I have used Just Airport, a car service, from/to LHR/London hotel.(see below)

Next year, I am staying at Hilton Garden London Terminal 2 & 3, this hotel is attached to airport. International Friends will be dropping us after our cruise at the hotel.

Depending when you go, Buckingham Palace might be open for the Royal staterooms. (See below)

I suggest getting tickets in advance for Westminster Abbey, London Eye, always a line.  Sometimes it is cheaper to purchase tickets in advance plus saves time. (See below)

You could take the Hop On Hop Off (HOHO) to give you a general idea where places are in London.  There are 2 HOHO companies with the same 3 routes. (See below)

I would not suggest getting the London Pass, we did not get our money worth.  It is better on choosing the place you want to see and just paying for it.  Go to their web site to see places to visit.

www.londontoolkit.com 
www.internationalfriends.co.uk
www.londontheatre.co.uk
Royal Collection Trust     rct.uk

www.westminster-abbey.org

www.theorginaltour.com

www.bigbustours.com
www.londoneye.com

www.justairport.com

• Like 1

Oyster Cards: Did you find the Visiting London site on TFL? That's probably your best source of information. You can order visitor cards for delivery to the US and have them ready to go when you arrive. You can also use contactless credit cards, iPhones, and Google Pay, but the Oyster is still probably the easiest. Also easy to top off, and you can get a refund when leaving.

Cash and ATM's: Please reconsider this. By far and away the easiest, most affordable way to get pounds is from a bank (important that it's a bank) ATM. You won't need many. London has become almost cashless. Seriously. Yes, small vendors probably are looking for cash, but it's just so easy to take cards these days. We spent 7 nights in London over this last New Year's and I probably used less than £20 in cash.

Theatre: What day of the week? Different shows will have matinees on different days, in general. Visitlondon.com has good information, obviously currently dated as the theatres are dark. Look up "Come From Away". It's one of the best, and accessible, musicals I've seen in years, and the London production (pre-COVID) was outstanding. It also has a straight through roughly 100 minute running time, which could be useful for your last day in London. Windsor is well worth the day, BTW. I might try to catch a show or two during your initial stay and go to Windsor from the airport area.

Pubs: Kids are fine. Yeah, after work is a different crowd from lunch or early dinner. If you actually expect to enjoy a decent pint, look up pubs on CAMRA (the Campaign for Real Ale), and recognize that most pubs in London today are sadly part of a large chains. You can find some that aren't chains, with work, or I personally find the Fuller's pubs to be a good compromise.

There are museums everywhere. Depends on where you're staying, what you're doing, and your interests. National Gallery is amazing, the British Museum is also incredible, and the Imperial War Museum is likewise fascinating. But there are many. 

spent a couple of days in London b4 a cruise departing from Greenwich.  I'd gotten some pounds in US and ended up with most of them still in my pocket even after a cruise with some UK stops! Credit Card was used everywhere.

We did the Hop On bus to get a good overview .... we've generally had good experiences with them. Package included a ride up and down the river on a water tour as well ....

1 hour ago, markeb said:

Oyster Cards: Did you find the Visiting London site on TFL? That's probably your best source of information. You can order visitor cards for delivery to the US and have them ready to go when you arrive. You can also use contactless credit cards, iPhones, and Google Pay, but the Oyster is still probably the easiest. Also easy to top off, and you can get a refund when leaving.

I know you have to tap your Oyster card enter the bus and tube.

I can’t remember if you have to tap exiting the bus and tube?

7 minutes ago, phabric said:

I know you have to tap your Oyster card enter the bus and tube.

I can’t remember if you have to tap exiting the bus and tube?

Yes for the Tube. Had to dig (not on the visitor page) but TFL says only touch in on busses and trams.

11 hours ago, notentirelynormal said:

I will buy Oyster cards for everyone, even the kids.  Is it normal for an 10 YO to have their own card?  The kids are 16, 13, 12 and 10.  I want it to be easy and no thinking (well, for them).

Ah, right, this gets a little complicated 🙂

- under 11 travel free on the tube and buses and will not need a Oyster cards if they are accompanied by a fare paying adult
- under 16 need a card, but get a 50% discount, which needs to be applied to their Oyster card by a member of staff  (look for references to Young Visitor Discount)

More details at https://www.londontoolkit.com/briefing/london_transport_child_fares.htm or on the Transport for London website

Most tube stations have entry and exit gates where you will need to tap your Oyster cards - if there is no gate or the gates are open you MUST still tap or you will be charged the highest fare. One adult will need to escort you 10 year old through a gate manned by a member of staff as they will not have their own card. Do not be tempted to try to get both through a gate using one tap!

Buses you just have to tap on entry - the reason being there is a flat fare for all journeys, whereas tube fares vary according to distance so the system need to know where you got on and off. 

11 hours ago, markeb said:

Cash and ATM's: Please reconsider this. By far and away the easiest, most affordable way to get pounds is from a bank (important that it's a bank) ATM. You won't need many. London has become almost cashless. Seriously. Yes, small vendors probably are looking for cash, but it's just so easy to take cards these days. We spent 7 nights in London over this last New Year's and I probably used less than £20 in cash.

Absolutely right, and the trend away from cash has dramatically increased as the government encouraged the use of contactless payments when shops reopened after initial lockdown. More places are card-only than before. 

Street vendors and market stalls increasingly have a card/contactless solution. Even buskers do. I don’t know about the souvenir stalls in London, but I would imagine they might, if they have survived. A small amount of cash, or access via ATMs, in case is probably best advice. 

Edited by Cotswold Eagle

To add a note of realism here, all advice above is based on “normal” circumstances and at the moment it’s hard to see life returning to that for a very long time. Personally, I would not be confident that international travel, in particular cruising, will be happening on a large scale at all next year, so all planning can only be provisional. Make sure any bookings are flexible or preferably refundable! 

Edited by Cotswold Eagle

On 10/15/2020 at 4:30 PM, phabric said:

You can get back VAT tax (not on food, hotel, transportation, for items leaving Britain).  When you purchase from a store (ex clothing) ask for a VAT receipt, the store has to fill in their portion to be able to claim. On your return to the airport, with all your STAMPED VAT receipts and items (have to be able to show items leaving) go to the VAT office (leave plenty of time to do this).

Not after the end of this year, I’m afraid. The refund on exit scheme is being abolished. Goods shipped direct will still be exempt. 

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/duty-free-extended-to-the-eu-from-january-2021

VAT Retail Export Scheme

As part of these changes, VAT refunds for overseas visitors in British shops will be removed. Overseas visitors will still be able to buy items VAT-free in store and have them sent direct to their overseas addresses, while the costly system of claiming VAT refunds on items they take home in their luggage will be ended.

Edited by Cotswold Eagle

Yes, life is sure different and I've already been burned on this year's cruise. We had booked a 26 day Tahiti cruise ending in Sydney.  It has been a struggle getting the money back.  Who knew that you need to keep gift cards - just in case.  NOW I make sure everything can be cancelled.

You see why I couldn't figure out the Oyster system.  So it sounds like I need to get to a tube station and contact someone there - right?  How much money should I put on each card?   We will be using the cards every day including after the cruise.  I paid for an extra night because I want to be able to drop off the luggage and those that want to do something can (like my husband might not want to).  Or, we might take a short trip to Windsor. 

Can I put a punch in the cards so that the kids can carry them using something like a key .  That would be best because then I don’t have to worry about them getting lost.  How do they know who they belong to.  Is there a picture or can I just keep everyone’s card and hand them to them when we need to use them.  Oh, and what happens if I put on £20 and only use £10?  Can I get a refund.

As far as the VAT refund.  It doesn’t matter anyway.  I never collected on it before.  I am too lazy.

Rather, my husband is too impatient.  He is great once we get there and he wants to be there but the hassle of the airports, the hectic parts…. Well, he is not too good.  Actually, it doesn’t matter where we go.  We could be driving to his mother’s or my mother’s house.  He starts to get panicky, gets an upset stomach and feels horrible.  That means taking the time to get a refund is not on his mind.  I just want him to get to the airport, sit down and relax.

So, a question missed – CAN we take kids into pubs?

Edited by notentirelynormal

7 hours ago, Cotswold Eagle said:

Not after the end of this year, I’m afraid. The refund on exit scheme is being abolished. Goods shipped direct will still be exempt. 

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/duty-free-extended-to-the-eu-from-january-2021

Thanks for the up to date information.  We get correct and up to date information from locals on Cruise Critic.

8 minutes ago, notentirelynormal said:

So, a question missed – CAN we take kids into pubs?

Actually answered that, but it's in a long answer. Absolutely! Some pubs can get kind of crazy in the evening, but kids are fine. I gave a longer answer above. Some pubs are really small, some are a lot bigger. Too many these days have the same menu of burger and nachos, so look around a bit.

2 hours ago, notentirelynormal said:

You see why I couldn't figure out the Oyster system.  So it sounds like I need to get to a tube station and contact someone there - right? 

You will have to see a member of staff to get the a Young Visitor Discount applied to the Oyster for the 10 year old. Everything else can be done in advance or at ticket machines at any tube station. You’ll need them set up before you step on a bus. But I’m sure a member of staff will help you get it all sorted, if you need help. Millions of people do this every year - don’t overthink it 😀

And I’m sure they’ll advise you NOT to punch a hole in them (there’s a wire aerial running round the edge). They used to supply free little wallets to keep them in, I don’t know if that’s still true. Or use one of those lanyards that has a plastic wallet attached. There’s no photo element, but you could write on them with a marker pen. 

If you are in London for 7 days in a row, it may be cheaper to put a 7-day Travelcard on your Oysters - you basically get two days free, because it only costs about the same as 5 daily caps. I don’t think you can do that on a Visitor Oyster, so maybe get your Oysters I London (with help from the staff). 

A trip to Windsor will not be covered by the Oyster card, you will need to but rail tickets if that’s the way you choose to travel. 

Edited by Cotswold Eagle

To show you how exhausted I am from running around doing errands for my mom, taking her to doctors, getting what she needs and just plain trying to visit her in a rehab during Covid - I simply can't think straight.  I can barely sleep.  This driving back and forth is killing me.  I slept in my house only twice last week.  I'm disabled and take some strong pain drugs so driving long distances later in the day is difficult but needs to be done.  What we do for family 🙂

I missed two posts because of it.  I am taking each and everything you guys say to heart.  It gets copied and pasted to my spreadsheet for me to go through individually to double check, make proper notes to be ready.  Believe me, I appreciate each and every comment. 

Right now I have a £50 note and it sounds like that is all I will need.  Bring a felt pen to write names - added to list.  Two credit cards....just in case.  Lots of credit left on them so I can spend spend spend.  Can I use any Euros if I have them left over.  Almost all of my tours need cash so I will be bringing quite a bit.  Wait!  Another money question: do I tip in England?  I know I round up for meals but what about taxis and tours and that kind of thing.

I think the kids will love eating in a pub.  I will check out the information.  I think, if we can, we will do Windsor Castle the day we disembark.  Drop our luggage off and we are very close.

So, a question I asked on another thread and never got an answer.  What do you think of booking the entire car for the London Eye.  In reality it is not that much more to do so and then we can go back and forth and get some great pictures.  My grandson is afraid of heights so he can hide in the middle LOL.

I am not trying to over plan but I also don't want to go home and go - what!  I missed that!  My uncle has strongly suggested Museums as well so I will be checking out your personal suggestions.  Part of this trip is educating them on the places we are visiting.  It is not just fun - you are supposed to learn something.

The best part of this entire trip is that I know my grandkids - all of them - will appreciate this trip.  Add to that, they get to be really close to their cousins and continue to learn to love each other and enjoy them.  They already do but I want to make sure that when they are adults living their single lives in different states (how far is 1000 miles anyway) that they have the desire to say.... I need to give my cousin a call.  The oldest is a boy and he just loves protecting them all.  God help the person that bothers any of the girls.

My DH is 75 and it is getting harder for him to travel.  Add to that I am handicapped and walking is very painful for me.  Crying is a daily thing for me.  As soon as Covid is done I'm having my third major back surgery.  This trip is really important and it BETTER NOT be cancelled because of some stupid world wide health crisis.  How rude - right?

Again, thank you everyone for your continuing responses.  I really am listening and will investigate each and every suggestion I'm given.

Edited by notentirelynormal