Ravenna Port

The Mommy

23 minutes ago, The Mommy said:

Would anyone advise staying in a hotel in Ravenna for the one night pre cruise please?

I am assuming that we will not sail from Venice

Thank you

Why won't you sail from Venice? Am I missing something? Details, please...

On 10/15/2020 at 9:18 AM, CruiserBruce said:

Why won't you sail from Venice? Am I missing something? Details, please...

Royal Caribbean announced earlier that their ships previously scheduled to depart from Venice next summer will instead port in Ravenna:

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5401/

I think the OP is on Celebrity but is probably just being proactive.

• Like 2

On 10/15/2020 at 8:54 AM, The Mommy said:

Would anyone advise staying in a hotel in Ravenna for the one night pre cruise please?

Thank you

Until something  more definite is announced by Celebrity I would book a nonrefundable room in both Venice and Ravenna. 

I spent a couple of days in Ravenna last fall. It didn't seem to me, when looking at hotels, that there is a lot of hotel capacity (certainly nothing like Venice). So having something reserved now that you could cancel later might make sense...

Edited by cruisemom42
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Until something  more definite is announced by Celebrity I would book a nonrefundable room in both Venice and Ravenna. 

I spent a couple of days in Ravenna last fall. It didn't seem to me, when looking at hotels, that there is a lot of hotel capacity (certainly nothing like Venice). So having something reserved now that you could cancel later might make sense...

OK. But why book a non-refundable room? Wouldn't you want a refundable room?

• Like 1

Ravenna is a beautiful small city with some of the most spectacular mosaics I've ever seen. Here are a few photos from my visit last November.  The first two are from the Basilica of San Vitale. The impact of the blues, greens, and golds is unbelievable in person:

image.thumb.png.00bdc257d5f7bf173cec02b0090e9207.png

The Emperor Justinian surrounded by his generals, advisors, and clergy. Note the "chi rho" on the soldier's shield:

image.thumb.png.be4542a16ed6f9b89c1038a683045731.png

The mausoleum of Galla Placidia is a small building behind the Basilica. Usually very crowded, but I was there in late November and had the place to myself. The barrel vaulted ceiling is a canopy of blue and gold. The alabaster "windows" are original:

image.thumb.png.ef6cc5901d921e9bb343e83eac2c91a5.png

Beautifully executed mosaic of the baptism of Jesus in dome of the Baptistery of Neon, perhaps the most well preserved baptistery in the world. I honestly think these are the finest and best executed mosaics of any I've ever seen (and I've seen a lot of them). They almost look like paintings.

image.thumb.png.4f065f17372f5f4569ef10f12c360e77.png

The last two are from another major Basilica in town, the Basilica of Sant’Apollinare Nuovo. The first represents ladies of waiting at the imperial court (note each one's dress design is different:

image.thumb.png.faff5f86a2973a0e5dbb2c4602db81f2.png

And this represents the three kings or magi who came seeking Jesus and bringing gold, frankincense and myrrh. Their names are shown above them: Balthasar, Melchior and Gaspar. Love the leopard-print leggings:

image.thumb.png.77916217ef2f76ab14edc219290ca2e0.png

• Like 5

@cruisemom42 great photos!  Loved the mosaics here as well!  Have you been to Torcello as well?  We also  enjoyed the ones in Monreale near Palermo  and watched some undergoing repairs.   I was probably was most blown away at the church of the spilled blood in St Petersburg as they were made of semi precious stones.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, bennybear said:

@cruisemom42 great photos!  Loved the mosaics here as well!  Have you been to Torcello as well?  We also  enjoyed the ones in Monreale near Palermo  and watched some undergoing repairs.   I was probably was most blown away at the church of the spilled blood in St Petersburg as they were made of semi precious stones.

Yes, I love Torcello -- the mosaics are not as well preserved (and some have been clumsily restored) but the entire place has a beautiful, peaceful and deserted vibe. The first time I went it was also November and late afternoon. I swear that my son and I were the only ones on the island other than the few workers and staff.

I've also seen the Capella Palatina and Monreale -- those are a quite a bit later but in the same Byzantine style. Maybe just because they are not as old, they didn't awe me the same way as those in Ravenna.

(And I am ashamed to say that although I visited the Church on Spilled Blood, the mosaics there -- the newest of all those we're discussing -- I hardly remember. I do recall the HUGE vases of semiprecious stone like lapis and jade in the Hermitage though....)

• Like 3

2 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Yes, I love Torcello -- the mosaics are not as well preserved (and some have been clumsily restored) but the entire place has a beautiful, peaceful and deserted vibe. The first time I went it was also November and late afternoon. I swear that my son and I were the only ones on the island other than the few workers and staff.

I've also seen the Capella Palatina and Monreale -- those are a quite a bit later but in the same Byzantine style. Maybe just because they are not as old, they didn't awe me the same way as those in Ravenna.

(And I am ashamed to say that although I visited the Church on Spilled Blood, the mosaics there -- the newest of all those we're discussing -- I hardly remember. I do recall the HUGE vases of semiprecious stone like lapis and jade in the Hermitage though....)

So nice to discuss this ❤️   I also was blown away by Ravenna, probably because I wasn’t expecting how amazing they were. It was such an delightful surprise.  

We also found Torcello a very interesting experience,  as it’s location has helped keep it off the radar.   There were very few visitors when we went as well.  I think it was in spring.   Also enjoyed  Santa Maria in Trastevere  and of course Istanbul, and some in Greece.    

• Like 1

Good Morning

I have received this e mail from Celebrity:-

I can confirm that this Ship will be sailing out from Venice , Rome.

Kind Regards

Sophie Sheppard
Guest Support Unit
Celebrity Cruises
3 The Heights I Brooklands I Weybridge I Surrey I KT13 0NY
T: 0844 493 2092
CustomerServiceUK@CelebrityCruises.com  I 
www.celebritycruises.co.uk

Our TA tells me that Connie is very close to the weight limit imposed for sailing out of Venice so should be OK.

Thank you for all your help with this. 😊

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/15/2020 at 7:54 AM, The Mommy said:

Thank you

Which cruise line are you on and when do you sail?   We are on Celebrity for Sept 2021 and there have been no itinerary changes so far and we are scheduled to sail from Venice.  Thanks 

51 minutes ago, HleeCruiser said:

Which cruise line are you on and when do you sail?   We are on Celebrity for Sept 2021 and there have been no itinerary changes so far and we are scheduled to sail from Venice.  Thanks 

If you read the post immediately above yours, it appears The Mommy is on Celebrity Constellation.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
19 minutes ago, davsen said:

Any suggestions on best way to get this port? which airport, train/taxi/bus..

thanks ~dave

Sorry we drove there.  But I think VenIce would be the nearest large airport.  We have used Treviso car service in the Veneto area twice and they have been great,  worth contacting them.

38 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Sorry we drove there.  But I think VenIce would be the nearest large airport.  We have used Treviso car service in the Veneto area twice and they have been great,  worth contacting them.

I was staying in Rome for about 10 days. I just took the train from there to Ravenna and back. Most of it is on the fast line, then you have to make a change for the last bit. A long-ish trip (too long to do as a day trip), but still quite easy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Bologna may be about an hour closer than Venice to Ravenna but as always depends on where you are flying from,  so check routings.   Especially now.  

We did enjoy the Bologna area,  Parma, Modena, Marenello, Ferrari.... 

Edited by bennybear

• 3 weeks later...

has anybody actually got the train from Bologna to Ravenna?

We're probably going to fly into Bologna the day before, spend the night and then thinking we might get the train to ravenna, it's really cheap and takes about 1hr with no changes, trains look like they depart every hour.... then we'll just jump in a quick taxi at ravenna station to the port....just wondering if anyone has actually done it? we've travelled on trains many times in Italy just wondering if anyone could share their experience?

thanks

22 minutes ago, cbowls30 said:

We're probably going to fly into Bologna the day before, spend the night and then thinking we might get the train to ravenna, it's really cheap and takes about 1hr with no changes, trains look like they depart every hour.... then we'll just jump in a quick taxi at ravenna station to the port....just wondering if anyone has actually done it? we've travelled on trains many times in Italy just wondering if anyone could share their experience?

thanks

I took the fast train from Rome last year, but it required a change in Bologna to the regionale line to get to Ravenna, so probably it was the same line you'd be taking. My train from Rome was rather late arriving, so I had to hustle to get on my Regionale train (short connection time) -- can't say I had much time to look around the station.

The train itself was fine; no frills but it was not crowded when I took it. I only had a small overnight bag that fit above me on the rack, so I didn't look for any luggage racks.

If you have any specific questions, please ask and I can try to answer.

2 hours ago, cbowls30 said:

thanks

You should be fine but be prepared with a Plan B for possible strikes.  In Italy stuff happens and you need to be able to roll with it.