Good News re Ponant Payment Policy

Host Jazzbeau

I'm booked on the Jan. 30, 2021 New Zealand cruise on Le Bellot – the cruise isn't going to happen, but I don't blame Ponant for holding onto hope because I really would prefer to go than to have it cancelled.  But I was unhappy that final payment is coming up on Nov. 1.

So I'm happy to report that my TA checked and was told that they have changed the final payment to Dec. 31.  I don't know if this is because she asked or if it is a new general policy.  But at least we know that you can get a 30-day final payment date!

They did the same thing for our (no longer) upcoming November cruise, also on Le Bellot. When my TA called, she was told that Ponant had changed the final payment date from 90d prior, to 30d prior. Ultimately they canceled prior to the new final payment date.

11 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

They did the same thing for our (no longer) upcoming November cruise, also on Le Bellot. When my TA called, she was told that Ponant had changed the final payment date from 90d prior, to 30d prior. Ultimately they canceled prior to the new final payment date.

That's my hope.  Then I will use the NYS AG as a threat to get my money back.

On 10/15/2020 at 12:26 PM, Host Jazzbeau said:

I'm booked on the Jan. 30, 2021 New Zealand cruise on Le Bellot – the cruise isn't going to happen, but I don't blame Ponant for holding onto hope because I really would prefer to go than to have it cancelled.  But I was unhappy that final payment is coming up on Nov. 1.

So I'm happy to report that my TA checked and was told that they have changed the final payment to Dec. 31.  I don't know if this is because she asked or if it is a new general policy.  But at least we know that you can get a 30-day final payment date!

Hello, Carolyn here, I am on that cruise with you. I also  got the dec. 30 2020, date. The only problem is,, I got a call and email from Qantas, my airline, and they have canceled my flights to New Zealand , I was starting in Australia as well, so I have no way of getting there. Qantas is graciously sending me a full refund because they canceled the flights. So, Ponant is on alert as far as I am concerned.

On 10/15/2020 at 7:52 PM, jpalbny said:

Did you ask for a refund?

Hello, Carolyn here, I am on that cruise with you. I also  got the dec. 30 2020, date. The only problem is,, I got a call and email from Qantas, my airline, and they have canceled my flights to New Zealand , I was starting in Australia as well, so I have no way of getting there. Qantas is graciously sending me a full refund because they canceled the flights. So, Ponant is on alert as far as I am concerned.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/18/2020 at 2:01 PM, seven1113 said:

I thought I would connect on this thread as we are in New Zealand and there is now a big push to sell Ponant in New Zealand sub antarctic cruises on La Perouse in and out of New Zealand, I am very tempted to book however......  We are at level 1 and the ONLY people coming in to New Zealand are Citizens, Permanent Residents and Essential workers. When you arrive you are taken to managed Isolation where you stay for 14 days.  The last set of Essential workers were Fishermen (200, with 200 following) from Russia and Ukraine who were destined to go onto our deep sea fishing vessels to work for 3 month assignments, 32 now have Covid which they brought with them and will remain in Isolation until cleared as recovered, delaying the arrival of the second group of 200.  The last community outbreak came from an Engineer boarding a commercial ship to undertake work, he was in full PPE yet still came off the ship with COVID and infected 2 or 3 others (we count in single figures here).

I would love to see Ponant in our waters but cannot see the Government permitting this ship from a foreign company with crew coming into our waters unless there were very big financial benefits an no risks.    I am going to keep close to what is happening and decide if I want to book based on how things develop.  Stay safe.....

Hello wendy woo and all on here

Ponant has now delayed their "decision" on the sub antartica feb8, 2021 cruise until dec. 30, or maybe before.   Ponant has has my huge deposit for a really long time. I will accept nothing less then a full refund from the company. My airline, Qantas has already graciously canceled my flights and is giving me a full refund. No questions asked. I do not want to "LOAN" Ponant my deposit. I have already after originally, booking a back to back Antaritica exploration, leaving from South America, been told that the ship I was on was hired out as a private cruise, so I got bounced around  and ended up with a different cruise. I was supposed to travel nov, 2020. I wanted to see the eclipse in south America, and that would not have happened, because they changed my plans after months of planning. 

At this point I cannot get to New Zealand or Australia, but as far as I know, they are keeping everyone's money,,,pay the people working there, build a ship?? Will I ever travel with them, I doubt it. This can go on for years and thy can go bankrupt like any company or change and puff, there goes our money.  So, nice Ne Zealand person, any ideas? Thank you for listening.

33 minutes ago, seven1113 said:

Hello wendy woo and all on here

Ponant has now delayed their "decision" on the sub antartica feb8, 2021 cruise until dec. 30, or maybe before.   Ponant has has my huge deposit for a really long time. I will accept nothing less then a full refund from the company. My airline, Qantas has already graciously canceled my flights and is giving me a full refund. No questions asked. I do not want to "LOAN" Ponant my deposit. I have already after originally, booking a back to back Antaritica exploration, leaving from South America, been told that the ship I was on was hired out as a private cruise, so I got bounced around  and ended up with a different cruise. I was supposed to travel nov, 2020. I wanted to see the eclipse in south America, and that would not have happened, because they changed my plans after months of planning. 

At this point I cannot get to New Zealand or Australia, but as far as I know, they are keeping everyone's money,,,pay the people working there, build a ship?? Will I ever travel with them, I doubt it. This can go on for years and thy can go bankrupt like any company or change and puff, there goes our money.  So, nice Ne Zealand person, any ideas? Thank you for listening.

Hi Seven1113!

I understand a private NZ company has contracted the whole ship from Ponant for the 30th Jan - 8 Feb 2021 sailing Dunedin to Auckland being marketed at New Zealand Residents, I have the intinary and prices from a TA here in NZ who has been heavily marketing it to New Zealanders, hence my interest, as a nice New Zealand person (thank you!) I am putting a link below to todays news, you will see that we have been getting "leakage" at our borders of COVID letting in Commercial Shipping and have tightened up our quarantine requirements, I cannot see NZ Government allowing a foreign tourist ship in (unless it is carrying goods) I am also 100% sure you will not be let in before a vaccine has been proven and delivered.(unless you are an essential worker) 

I can only suggest you push these articles towards Ponant (or TA) and demand your refund>?  

News today: https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/429484/no-room-for-complacency-new-testing-requirements-for-international-maritime-workers

NZ immigration https://www.immigration.govt.nz/about-us/covid-19/border-closures-and-exceptions

I hope this may help in some way and not make you more depressed!

Wendy

My goodness,

You are so helpful. Ponant has done nothing to contact me or my travel agent. They are holding back on everyone. This is terrible of the company. You have been very helpful, I am printing the articles so I have them.

Thank you so much,, Wendy woo.

21 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

@wendy_woo can you post a link to the ad or other info about this charter?  It would really help @seven1113 and me to pursue refunds.  TIA!

This is the cruise, I was informed by the TA:

"A Kiwi Co. has done a charter and it’s pricing exceedingly well! ! It is the only Ponant charter."

https://thetravelco.nz/ponent-dunedin-auckland-cruise/

it does not say its a private charter on the ad, but if you go through to the itinary, you will see its priced in New Zealand dollars,  if it was a Ponant cruise it would be priced in Australian Dollars. 

Hope this helps, if I hear more I will post back here, stay safe!

Hello, Cruising Friends :     Lorna and Donald Simpson of Masterton, New Zealand, can confirm that we are booked on the Main/ Bridge Deck of "Le LaPerouse" to travel on Monday 8th February 2021 from Auckland/AKL to the Sub-Antarctic Islands for two weeks, disembarking in Lyttleton (near Christchurch) on Monday 22nd February.    The ship is currently having its electric engines upgraded in Singapore and will soon leave with crew for New Zealand waters where they will quarantine for three weeks before commencing weeks of cruising with only New Zealand citizens/ residents who are currently in Aotearoa/ New Zealand.    Originally we were booked on "Le Bellot" (currently in Marseilles), but "Le LaPerouse" has been anchored off Noumea, New Caledonia, for some time, so she will "go South" to New Zealand and in March into Australian waters, heading to Western Australian ports.

#     Our final payments were to be due on 10th November, but Ponant has notified that payment is not needed until 29th December for our cruise (so we will pay before Christmas holidays commence).

It is very difficult for returning citizens to get back to New Zealand, as travellers must first book into one of the 26 heavily booked Quarantine Hotels for a minimum of 15 days (and sometimes over 30 days) before attempting to book airline passage (with rather few flights from a limited number of localities).      Very few foreigners will be allowed into the country until at least 2023 or 2024.   

Sorry, but that's reality until there is a very good vaccine available to the general public (and quarantine will still be required).

Enjoy reading old travel diaries and looking at photos from previous travels.    Keep washing in warm, soapy water, as that will wreck the surface of any Coronavirus you might encounter.     Live in hope !

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Lorna and Donald, this is Wendy in Whangaparaoa, Auckland - are you booked directly with Ponant, or are you on the charter with Bryce Read?  how confident are you that the ship will be coming in to New Zealand, have our Government approved it yet?