New senior officer schedule - changes

excitedofharpenden

1 hour ago, Grandma Cruising said:

Sounds to me like ‘new brooms sweeping clean’ - I’d rather she worked on ‘if it ain’t broke don’t fix it’.

I suspect our generation who probably need some familiarity when we return to cruising are no longer Azamara’s target market.  I am nervous enough about my summer cruise, but had comforted myself that even if “rules” onboard were different, I’d be with familiar faces.  I accept it’s only preferences and things can change, but to not be with 2/3 people we saw comfort in being with (and who knows what else at the levels below) doesn’t give the level of comfort we needed in these uncertain times. 
I had three combinations across the three ships I liked but can’t get any of them anywhere now.  
Time will tell if this “new broom” plan really works both for staff and guests or not. 

Edited by uktog
  • Like 2

This shifting and moving of staff and crew at all levels and now up to senior officers has been a successful work in progress to assure that the AZAMARA culture becomes more uniform across the three ships. Initially there was somewhat (not surprisingly) of a different culture on the Pursuit and bringing Heike onto that ship will continue to make the experience more uniform across the brand. 

They were interesting times when the Pursuit came online. Everyone wanted the third Azamara ship desperately and few were aware how disruptive the addition of the Pursuit would be to the brand and the "family feel" associated with it. Clearly existing crew constellations had to be broken up to send experienced crew and staff to the Pursuit (which made the hiring of new folks on the Quest and Journey necessary - also somewhat disruptive). The Pursuit saw itself faced with a brand new mix of crew and staff. From what I have heard it was challenging for the more experienced crew to train the new folks (understandably so) and that led to the initial problems (or perceived problems). Particularly the die-hard Azamara loyalists (I count myself among them with 30 plus Azamara sailings under my belt) noticed a change on all three ships. In the meantime I do believe that the three ships are (or rather will continue to be once they start sailing again) very well on their way to be in sync in terms of brand and culture congruence which is a good thing. But mixing up the top brass is a natural progression of these efforts which I personally applaud.

To me the most powerful asset that Azamara offers is Larry's original idea of destination immersion and that's where the brand shines brilliantly (and is copied by other brands as a matter of fact). Clearly the crew, staff and officers are an equally important asset but I do not see the mixing of staffing constellations as a deal breaker at all. But I do respect that this may feel different to others. For me these staff/officer shifts do not represent a “betrayal” by the Azamara family. On the contrary, they affirm an effort to make that family experience more consistent across the three ships. Different passengers may very well feel differently about all this, but I am also looking at and considering the need for continued future uniformity which will help the brand grow organically.

I believe that the steps that Azamara is taking by mixing up the officers is a perfectly good step in the right direction. The idea is that ultimately there should NOT be a perceivable quality difference between the ships... Otherwise the base loyalty that is so key to Azamara’s success and growth is at risk.

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, Grandma Cruising said:

I must admit I had some thoughts about whether these moves were, to some extent, trying to make sure the Pursuit crew don’t see the Pursuit as having its own way of doing things, rather than the Azamara way.

Whilst I agree there was very much a Pursuit way and a belief from some they were chosen/better in the early days (and this way was an issue for some guests so probably needed addressing) I am not sure it explains why such a wholesale change of staff was done.

29 minutes ago, Grandma Cruising said:

I must admit I had some thoughts about whether these moves were, to some extent, trying to make sure the Pursuit crew don’t see the Pursuit as having its own way of doing things, rather than the Azamara way.

And I think you hit the nail right on the head there...! Absolutely true. I remember being on a sailing (do not remember the exact month and year - but definitely a while past the Pursuit coming online) during which several officers rather abruptly left for a "big Azamara meeting" in Venice for a few days. What sounded like a general management training meeting allegedly was more of an "emergency" kind of meeting to bring the "three sisters in line" - I have that from a trusted source, which shall - of course - remain unnamed. So, yes, these current and continued steps could very well be related to all of that...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, CHTobi said:

And I think you hit the nail right on the head there...! Absolutely true. I remember being on a sailing (do not remember the exact month and year - but definitely a while past the Pursuit coming online) during which several officers rather abruptly left for a "big Azamara meeting" in Venice for a few days. What sounded like a general management training meeting allegedly was more of an "emergency" kind of meeting to bring the "three sisters in line" - I have that from a trusted source, which shall - of course - remain unnamed. So, yes, these current and continued steps could very well be related to all of that...

Yes, I heard about that and that certainly reflects what I was told from a trusted attendee, though if that was the driver you would have expected them also to move all the captains around.

Edited by uktog

Maybe it is best not stirring in the "conspiracy bowl" too much. Obviously there must be a reason for the decision to rotate crew around, but there might NOT reasons for every possible outcome. Hopefully we will get happy crew on happy ships anyway.😀😀

• Like 3

We have had two cruises on Pursuit, Rio to Lisbon in March and 23 days B2B2B in the Mediterranean in October.

Loved them both, apart from not being allowed on the Sunset Verandah before 0730 (or later) due to the noisy chairs disturbing those in staterooms below.

We have also done 28 cruises on the other two ships.

Edited by Baynanno1
  • Like 1

On 10/19/2020 at 5:35 PM, Baynanno1 said:

We have had two cruises on Pursuit, Rio to Lisbon in March and 23 days B2B2B in the Mediterranean in October.

Loved them both, apart from not being allowed on the Sunset Verandah before 0730 (or later) due to the noisy chairs disturbing those in staterooms below.

We have also done 28 cruises on the other two ships.

Aww, Trish, I was supposed to be on the Rio to Lisbon itinerary (for 2021). Was really looking forward to it! 😟

Betsey

• Like 1

On 10/19/2020 at 1:39 PM, Grandma Cruising said:

Interesting that they’re not moving Captain Carl, but are moving Captain Johannes!

Carl got the new ship. Three years ago,Johaness been on the JR for ten years.  Each ship now has one captain that been with AZ ten or more years and one newbie as Captain. After losing Jose and Russ anything can happen.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mackdogmolly said:

Aww, Trish, I was supposed to be on the Rio to Lisbon itinerary (for 2021). Was really looking forward to it! 😟

Betsey

Betsey, it was a great cruise . . . our first crossing . . . hopefully not our last!

Maybe 2022? 🤔

• 7 months later...
10 minutes ago, marinaro44 said:

The schedule on the Azamara website is very much out of date.  Beyond time to have it updated.

There should be details of several new Captains as well so very much out of date

Edited by uktog
  • Like 1