New Windstar Loyalty program

r&rd

I just received my letter explaining the new loyalty program. While I am in the top tier and get OBC, wifi and laundry, I wonder whether those in lower tiers feel that are getting anything.

We have 175 days done or booked, no letter but they always take good care of us on board. We just got a crazy $$ upgrade for a Fall 2022 European sailing so no complaints. Why don’t you fill us in on the new alumni program

Summary of new Yacht Club benefits:

Level 1 (1-15 points)   - points are 1 per night

Save 5% on all itineraries

5% discount on laundry, & wifi and Windstar branded merchandise

Customized keycard

Level 2 (16-39 points)

Save 5% on all itineraries/additional 5% booked onboard

$50 OBC per person

5% off beverage package, shore excursions, laundry,  wifi and Windstar branded merchandise

Customized keycard

Level 3 (40-89 points)

$75 OBC pp

5% off beverage package

10 % discount on shore excursions, laundry, wifi and merchandice

keycard and dinner with Officer

Level 4 (90 + points)

Save 5% on itineraries/additional 5% booked onboard

$100 OBC pp

10% off beverage package

15% discount on shore excursions and merchandise

Complimentary laundry and wifi

keycard and dinner with an Officer or Captain

• Like 1

I agree LTCOP, I am very happy with the recognition. We are 212 days and right now I can not wait to get on WS again. I am biting at the bit and the day I get the vaccine I sign up. I am scheduled for January , 14 days Caribbean out if  PR but with the world and especially the US not sure WS will go or it  will  be comfortably safe. Happy Sailing, Be Safe, thanks WS good job. 

2 minutes ago, Barrycat said:

Well it something. We are already getting 5% as alumni. Is this 5% in addition to that?

As Barrycat mentioned, I wonder if these fare discounts will be applicable on all fares.  Many times we have booked a cruise that was on sale and the alumni discount did not apply as they said the fares were low to start off with. I understand some people book a long time in advance and this discount may be applicable, but in our case, given we watch prices closely and tend to book only a few months in advance when there’s a sale, this discount has rarely applied.  Nice benefits at the 90+ Level 4 with free laundry and wifi.  Only 20 more nights to go to get that level.  Can’t wait to get back on a Windstar ship.

I don't think it is an additional 5% - just what we were getting before. It also says it applies to all itineraries but doesn't say whether it applies to all fares.  

I am grateful they finally adopted a program more consistent with other cruise lines. I am also grateful they awarded points for sailings before they took ownership. Going back 24 years we have 322 points.I think Windstar is doing a great job holding everything together in spite of difficult times for a fairly small company in comparison to the giants. We have three future cruises booked and hope that we get to be back on board soon.

• Like 1

Not to be a Grinch, and as I said, it’s something but if the 5% which we get every time, is not additional then it’s just a little something.

We always get upgrades and obc, usually more than this $100. We typically  do over 14 day cruises so  laundry is not a plus. Ditto with the officer dinners. The discount on the liquor package still doesn’t make the package worthwhile for us.

The discount on excursions, which may be the only off ship activities, and the free WiFi are a plus. And who knows, whatever is special about the keycard may be the thing that gets me excited about this program.

For some this may all be additional benefits and I’m glad that Windstar has taken the initiative.

It’s something for nothing. Thanks.  I was hoping for good free WiFi for everyone like Viking and Oceania.  WiFi has become essential.  The WiFi service needs an update.  I don’t buy it on Windstar. It’s unreliable and too expensive.  You can easily find WiFi in ports. We were delighted last year in a Portugal when we found that the whole country has free WiFi.  It was so useful. 

I agree that it is not much - which is why I posted originally.  It is better than nothing and I am glad there is at least some recognition of past cruises but I'm not sure discounts mean very much. The other thing that is missing from the past program are the complimentary cabin upgrades.

Upgrades were nice when available.  I hope that that didn't go away.   I am actually surprised and pleased that Windstar is offering its repeat guests some token of appreciation. It's been almost 2 years since I was first told about a loyalty program.  After all, we keep coming back.  On most WS cruises you meet lots of repeaters.  We've met people from previous cruises.  Looking forward to safer sailing times. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Strenz said:

I agree LTCOP, I am very happy with the recognition. We are 212 days and right now I can not wait to get on WS again. I am biting at the bit and the day I get the vaccine I sign up. I am scheduled for January , 14 days Caribbean out if  PR but with the world and especially the US not sure WS will go or it  will  be comfortably safe. Happy Sailing, Be Safe, thanks WS good job. 

Strenz - We are scheduled for March out of Barbados.  Sure hope conditions are such that the cruise can happen.

I think it is great that Windstar is even offering anything during this uncertain time.  I appreciate their effort during a time when I am sure they are challenged financially.  Definitely encourages me to want to cruise with them again - something we were doing repeatedly without these perks anyway:-)  Glad they are still in business!

• Like 2

Looks like it applies to all future sailings. Additional points will be awarded for premium staterooms for" sailings on or after October 5, 2020" so I assume that is when the program officially starts - even though the ships aren't actually sailing yet.

I'm still waiting for my letter. My husband's arrived last Thursday. He's level 3. I've taken a couple of cruises without him so, by my calculation, I should be level 4. I hope they go by the higher level in the stateroom. 

I'll appreciate free wifi. I generally am not willing to pay for it, but like having it.

On 10/16/2020 at 11:08 AM, Redtravel said:

The WiFi service needs an update.  I don’t buy it on Windstar. It’s unreliable and too expensive.  You can easily find WiFi in ports. 

I think they have improved the WiFi at least on the ships that have had a recent re-fit (which covers Wind Surf as well as the motor yachts, not sure about Wind Star and Wind Spirit). I bought it for the first and only time on the third segment of our Windsurf cruise last January. We'd originally booked a 14-day Star Collector and added on another 17 days last minute when the price dropped. The first 9 days of that had several sea days and I still had arrangements to finalize for some of the ports so I sprung for it. It worked well for me - none of the reliability issues that I'd heard others complain about in the past. 

Free laundry will be nice. We sometimes get it free because of taking Star Collector's, but sometimes we do shorter cruises and then we buy the laundry. 

10% off the beverage package does nothing for us. I'm a 0 to 2 drinks a day person so even a 10% off, it costs way more than we spend on alcohol. Plus, we like having the full wine selection and getting a bottle to have across a couple of nights.

We do take some shore excursions so 15% off that is welcome. We are scheduled for the Israel and Egypt cruise in the spring and are considering taking the overnight excursion in Egypt (assuming a cruise is even possible then). 

With no resume cruising date firm, not getting too excited about cruising.  As long as the pandemic continues, I hesitate to book any travel.  We have enjoyed WS excursions. The discount is nice.  However, we prefer hiring our own private guide and not be part of a group.  On some cruise lines, there is talk of not allowing guests to get off in ports unless they are on a ship excursion.  That might make me stop cruising.   For now, I plan to wait and not book until safe cruising or travel resumes. 

• Like 1

Congratulations Windstar on following through with this program. We too are in the top tier, and even with the uncertainty about the resumption of cruising....it gives us hope. We appreciate their effort, even though like all cruise lines, they are financially challenged. Can't wait to be aboard again!  Looking for the rainbow!

37 copy.jpg

• Like 1

On 10/19/2020 at 6:16 AM, minidonuts85 said:

Is the OBC applicable to bookings made prior to the start of the updated loyalty program?

I called today and while the program is applicable to all booked cabins, you have to call to have the benefits applied to your booking. All future bookings will automatically add the benefits.

FYI - I called because on the new loyalty page there were 3 sailings listed as Yacht Club Member sailings with a 20% discount. As I had already had one booed I called and they applied the additional 15% to my booking. These sailings include: Star Breeze 5/22/21 Black Sea; Star Breeze 10/10/21 Sea of Cortez; and Wind Surf 2/22/22 Greater Antilles

On 10/15/2020 at 10:58 PM, r&rd said:

Summary of new Yacht Club benefits:

Level 1 (1-15 points)   - points are 1 per night

Save 5% on all itineraries

5% discount on laundry, & wifi and Windstar branded merchandise

Customized keycard

Level 2 (16-39 points)

$50 OBC per person

5% off beverage package, shore excursions, laundry,  wifi and Windstar branded merchandise

Customized keycard

Level 3 (40-89 points)

$75 OBC pp

5% off beverage package

10 % discount on shore excursions, laundry, wifi and merchandice

keycard and dinner with Officer

Level 4 (90 + points)

Save 5% on itineraries/additional 5% booked onboard

$100 OBC pp

10% off beverage package

15% discount on shore excursions and merchandise

Complimentary laundry and wifi

keycard and dinner with an Officer or Captain

this is great info but how do you earn points. We’ve had dinner with the captain, sometimes twice!, for years. Will we be level 4 when they bother to let us know?

2 minutes ago, milepig said:

this is great info but how do you earn points. We’ve had dinner with the captain, sometimes twice!, for years. Will we be level 4 when they bother to let us know?

You earn points based on number of nights on board. One point for regular cabins and 11/2 to 2 points per night for some , but few, premium cabins.

Just checked online (still no notification) and we are indeed level 4. I wonder what that “customized keycard” will turn out to be. Seems like a no real value item, maybe it will be gold!  

The inclusion of the laundry and WiFi and the discount on the beverage package I need to recalculate. I think the recent beverage/laundry/WiFi package at the discount rate that I just bought is still a better deal?