American Airlines and British Airlines Sales

TravelingT

I just snagged a business class flight RT on American Airlines for next July for 2,608 per person.  I am going from Nashville to Athens and then Madrid to Nashville since I am doing a back to back with Viking.  I just wanted to give you guys a heads up who like to fly business class.  I dropped the viking air since this was only 600 more than Viking was charging me for premium economy.  FYI.  I saw similar fares on British Airways.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi. I don't think that's  a sale price . We have business class seats on Aa going and BA returning from San Diego to LHR for about $2700 for May. That just seems to be the price for now

I bought through Princess so I can keep watch and rebook at a lower price if one shows up

Was going to say the same...summer is low demand for transatlantic business and first class. In normal years the sales are announced in the months leading up to it. I've paid only about 25% more than the listed $2600 for BA First across the pond in summer sales.

On 10/17/2020 at 7:18 AM, riffatsea said:

Hi. I don't think that's  a sale price . We have business class seats on Aa going and BA returning from San Diego to LHR for about $2700 for May. That just seems to be the price for now

I bought through Princess so I can keep watch and rebook at a lower price if one shows up

Take a look at the Alaska outbound to Fll and return on BA.  I think we are on the same cruise.   We repriced yesterday for $1390pp, 1st class direct to Fll and Business back to San Diego.   Keep checking.

• 3 weeks later...

Just wondering what happens with that air if your cruise gets cancelled.   That may seem far fetched, but we have had 4 cruises cancelled since last April!   In this era, until COVID is under control, cruise cancellations are more the norm then not,

Hank

4 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Just wondering what happens with that air if your cruise gets cancelled.   That may seem far fetched, but we have had 4 cruises cancelled since last April!   In this era, until COVID is under control, cruise cancellations are more the norm then not,

Much of this needs to be considered in a decision tree process style.

First question:  Is the flight cancelled by the airline or the passenger?   Different rules for either situation.

2nd: If by the passenger, when was the ticket purchased?   Check the fare rules in place at time of purchase.

3rd: When was the flight to have occurred?  Check the timing for flight applicability under any refund/credit rules.

4th: When was the cancellation made?  Check for applicable rules at time of cancellation, as they may have more favorable conditions than in place at purchase.  (In other words, an airline may institute more generous terms, but can't impose more restricive)

5th:  Does the airline have a distinct policy for cancellations when a passenger cannot take the trip due to government restrictions?   Example:  You were booked on a cruise departing Bangkok.  Cruise is cancelled.  In addition, Thailand is barring entry of foreigners.  Does the airline have an additional proviso that includes the latter situation, possibly with better terms?  (May require that you delay cancelling air ticket until last minute to assure that govt restrictions are still in order -- cancelling a ticket now for a July date would likely not have the govt proviso, since there are many months when that might be lifted or changed)

In general, the airline doesn't care why you are cancelling.  Doesn't matter if your cruise is cancelled or you just don't want to go.   So that's pretty much irrelevant.

The only other blanket advice is.....there is no blanket advice.  Each airline is different, each situation may fall under different rules and conditions.  You have to do your research - there is no one-size-fits answer.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

Much of this needs to be considered in a decision tree process style.

First question:  Is the flight cancelled by the airline or the passenger?   Different rules for either situation.

2nd: If by the passenger, when was the ticket purchased?   Check the fare rules in place at time of purchase.

3rd: When was the flight to have occurred?  Check the timing for flight applicability under any refund/credit rules.

4th: When was the cancellation made?  Check for applicable rules at time of cancellation, as they may have more favorable conditions than in place at purchase.  (In other words, an airline may institute more generous terms, but can't impose more restricive)

5th:  Does the airline have a distinct policy for cancellations when a passenger cannot take the trip due to government restrictions?   Example:  You were booked on a cruise departing Bangkok.  Cruise is cancelled.  In addition, Thailand is barring entry of foreigners.  Does the airline have an additional proviso that includes the latter situation, possibly with better terms?  (May require that you delay cancelling air ticket until last minute to assure that govt restrictions are still in order -- cancelling a ticket now for a July date would likely not have the govt proviso, since there are many months when that might be lifted or changed)

In general, the airline doesn't care why you are cancelling.  Doesn't matter if your cruise is cancelled or you just don't want to go.   So that's pretty much irrelevant.

The only other blanket advice is.....there is no blanket advice.  Each airline is different, each situation may fall under different rules and conditions.  You have to do your research - there is no one-size-fits answer.

Appreciate the decision tree but the situation mentioned was pretty clear cut.  A person books a cruise and then buys their own air (independent from the cruise line).  When the cruise gets cancelled (by either the cruise line or the passenger) the airline could care less about the cruise.  Since you did not purchase the air through the cruise line the airline has no obligation other then to apply their normal cancellation rules.  The one big positive development is that many airlines have done away (for now) with penalties to rebook...but of course that assumes there is somewhere else you want to go (within the timeframe allowed by the airline).  And if during the interim the airline goes bankrupt you are likely out of luck.

Once upon a time some cruise lines would give some kind of financial adjustment to passengers who had booked their own air and later got stuck because of a cruise line cancellation.  But these days that is no longer assured.

Hank

Just now, Hlitner said:

Appreciate the decision tree but the situation mentioned was pretty clear cut.  A person books a cruise and then buys their own air (independent from the cruise line).  When the cruise gets cancelled (by either the cruise line or the passenger) the airline could care less about the cruise.  Since you did not purchase the air through the cruise line the airline has no obligation other then to apply their normal cancellation rules.  The one big positive development is that many airlines have done away (for now) with penalties to rebook...but of course that assumes there is somewhere else you want to go (within the timeframe allowed by the airline).  And if during the interim the airline goes bankrupt you are likely out of luck.

Once upon a time some cruise lines would give some kind of financial adjustment to passengers who had booked their own air and later got stuck because of a cruise line cancellation.  But these days that is no longer assured.  Just last week MSC announced that their December cruises from US ports have all been cancelled.  While MSC did offer a refund or 125% FCC, when it came to air they simply suggested you "contact your travel professional."  In other words.....Good luck and don't bother us!.

Hank