The Cruise and Travel Industry is in a very bad place!

Hlitner

Indeed! And one issue that can contribute to peace of mind is good health.  I'll take health over wealth any time.  Which explains why I'm in no rush to resume cruising or travel.

Absolutely, because you can keep on growing your wealth if you know how to; but you cannot control your health

10 hours ago, ldubs said:

So true!  Haha.    Many live within their means who are not considered "wealthy".  Though, in reality if they live happy lives then they truly are wealthy.       

Charles Dickens said it pretty well about a century and a half ago:  “Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness.  Annual income twenty pounds twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six,  result misery.”

• Like 2

1 hour ago, drsel said:

Absolutely, because you can keep on growing your wealth if you know how to; but you cannot control your health

To a degree you can control your health.  One of the worst things for you is stress, so living life in the slow lane, living below your income, enjoying the things you get to do and not worrying about the things you don't get to do, are stress reducers and health improvers.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

To a degree you can control your health.  One of the worst things for you is stress, so living life in the slow lane, living below your income, enjoying the things you get to do and not worrying about the things you don't get to do, are stress reducers and health improvers.

Health, wealth, and peace of mind are intertwined.  I understand that perspectives will be different depending on an individual's situation.   Personally, I think you hit the nail right on the head.  

3 hours ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

To a degree you can control your health. 

Until you get on a cruise ship. Those irresistible fried, fatty, cholesterol infused food, sugary deserts and drink package are a health killer.

• Haha 1

On 10/17/2020 at 2:04 PM, sail7seas said:

Gold prices have increased appox.  500%

In  the current atmosphere,  I would be happy to 'sit on chunks  of gold'  safely stored in bank deposit boxes. 🙂

You would be too late.   😉

2 hours ago, sfaaa said:

Until you get on a cruise ship. Those irresistible fried, fatty, cholesterol infused food, sugary deserts and drink package are a health killer.

Goes well with the huge obesity in the US

7 hours ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

My grandfather always to say, 'if you don't have money you have problems - if you have money you have bigger problems'.

If money is giving you so many problems I will offer my services to unburden you by taking some of it for you 😜

Edited by ilikeanswers
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 10/17/2020 at 5:55 PM, sfaaa said:

Yeah, toilet papers seem to be a better bet.

Based upon the data that I am seeing for my State as well as the United States, I believe that another lockdown is in our future this Winter.  Time to buy more toilet paper.  

On 10/17/2020 at 1:31 PM, sverigecruiser said:

I agree with that but as I said, no cruising is still the best for the environment.

By the same token, COVID has to be great for the environment:

a) Cruise sailings being cancelled means less waste in the ocean, less exhaust in the air, less oil pumped out of the ground to fuel ships and planes, etc.

b) Fewer people going to work obviously reduces all sorts of pollution.

c) Fewer people on the planet means less harm to the environment -- 100% infection rate linked with 100% mortality rate would soon restore our planet to its pristine condition.  

56 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

100% infection rate linked with 100% mortality rate would soon restore our planet to its pristine condition.  

Considering all the plants and animals we have driven to extinction it would be impossible for the world to return to a pristine condition😂. Those palm oil farms would just become a new type of forest. At the height of the lock downs we did see some improvements to the Earth. I still remember the footage of clean Venetian canal water and the people in Kathmandu couldn't believe they could see Everest again. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

a) Cruise sailings being cancelled means less waste in the ocean, less exhaust in the air, less oil pumped out of the ground to fuel ships and planes, etc.

c) Fewer people on the planet means less harm to the environment -- 100% infection rate linked with 100% mortality rate would soon restore our planet to its pristine condition.  

Correct but is it worth it? I don't think it is.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

LOL....   But everyone being "locked down" means a SPIKE in the birth rate.....(Nine months later)    🤭

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FredT said:

LOL....   But everyone being "locked down" means a SPIKE in the birth rate.....(Nine months later)    🤭

16 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

No such spike  ——  if condition c applied.

4 hours ago, FredT said:

Sounds familiar. I once asked a local in Skagway what they all do in winter when cruise ships and tourists are gone. That's the answer he gave me.

3 hours ago, fyree39 said:

Maybe this will be the start of the new Boomer generation. It'll be interesting to see how the birth rate compares to that of soldiers returning from WWII and the Boomer generation.

Of course THOSE guys had to "go without" for 2-3 YEARS.....   😁

On a more somber note though, f we have to lock down anywhere near that I think you will see more suicides than babies.  (Said as I am mourning the second death of a friend in the entertainment business who ended things himself) 

On 10/19/2020 at 3:45 PM, ldubs said:

You would be too late.   😉

???

ONLY     if    I had waited to get  the gold,  BUT    happily that is not the case  🤣   🤑

it is usually not a great idea to 'assume.'

1 hour ago, sail7seas said:

???

ONLY     if    I had waited to get  the gold,  BUT    happily that is not the case  🤣   🤑

it is usually not a great idea to 'assume.'

My reply was obviously good natured-- see the emoji.    But since you seem to take issue, perhaps your original comment left a lot to be assumed.  

Cruising is entertainment, and close quarters entertainment at that. After Covid-19 there will always be more viral maladies and perhaps, just perhaps, the younger generation will permanently self-isolate with their Video games, virtual reality experiences, Grub-hub, Amazon shopping, work from home and whatnot. My adult kids won’t go on a cruiseship PERIOD. Movie houses??.. RIP. Cruising?? On a ventilator...

On 10/21/2020 at 9:03 AM, fyree39 said:

Maybe this will be the start of the new Boomer generation. It'll be interesting to see how the birth rate compares to that of soldiers returning from WWII and the Boomer generation.

Doubtful with all the changes in technology, reproductive rights and attitudes.  Maybe a small blip, but nothing like what was experienced after WW2.

On 10/24/2020 at 10:16 PM, LocoLoco1 said:

Cruising is entertainment, and close quarters entertainment at that. After Covid-19 there will always be more viral maladies and perhaps, just perhaps, the younger generation will permanently self-isolate with their Video games, virtual reality experiences, Grub-hub, Amazon shopping, work from home and whatnot. My adult kids won’t go on a cruiseship PERIOD. Movie houses??.. RIP. Cruising?? On a ventilator...

thing's that bad in Minnesota ?