Late flights - what to do with luggage

Darlene

I am hoping that our June 2021 Alaskan cruise will happen. Covid has turned the world upside down 😷. My question is about late flight times on disembarkation day. What can we do with our luggage if we do some sight seeing until it is time to arrive at the airport? Pretty much most of the flights that leave YVR to get us back into Ohio leave very late (9:00pm, 10:00pm ect and get us back the next morning because of time change and connections). We certainly don't want to drag two to four pieces of luggage all over Vancouver. The excursions that are offered through RCCL are only 4-6 hours. That still gets us to the airport WAY too early. 

We’ve used the Pan Pacific hotel to store our bags after a cruise and before our train departure that evening. They are located at the Canada Place cruise terminal so it was very convenient.  It was $5/bag. It can fill up fast when the ship arrives so may need to head directly there.  This was two years ago so you may want to check their policy to make sure they are still storing bags for non-guests.

On 10/18/2020 at 10:42 AM, Glaciers said:

This was two years ago so you may want to check their policy to make sure they are still storing bags for non-guests.

While The Pan Pacific has (or had if it went away-- I haven't been back recently to know) a policy for non guests, which makes it a great option, most nice hotels will store bags for non guests if you come in for lunch, coffee, a drink, etc. I wouldn't recommend just waltzing into a hotel and expect to drop your bags without purchasing anything, but any 4-5 star hotel in the city would be willing to store them if you were making even a small purchase with them. 

I'd also recommend trying the PP hotel as your first stop - it's significantly cheaper than the official storage at the pier! Assuming no change since last operating season, $12 a bag vs. the PPs $5. You did get money off if you booked a tour - any length, including HOHO - from the folks operating the storage (Westcoast, the local Gray Line affiliate now), but even after that discount it only dropped to $8 which was still pricier than the previous folks with the contract. Pretty similar range of tours offered by these guys and LandSea who were linked above, both are long-standing local companies.

The best option if you plan an active day, and returning to the pier at the end of it would be a hassle, is to have your bags collected, stored, then delivered to you again at YVR by Portergenie. It's most efficient for a group with a lot of bags, as there is a fixed pickup & delivery fee on top of the per-bag fees - but so far I've only heard good things about the effiiciency of their operation in terms of finding you, being on time etc.

Of course, with 2020 having been a total write-off for HOHO tours and vastly reduced numbers of tourists, even if your cruise runs next year these hotels, tour companies etc. could all be bust! So definitely come back again in April/May to check all your local tours, restos, bag storage etc. needs.

• 1 month later...

In 2019 we stored our bags at the Pan Pacific. It was $5 per bag if picked up before 3pm or $10 per bag if picked up after 3pm. Super convenient (maybe a 2 minute walk after exiting customs and everything). Here is their email address: bell.services@panpacificvancouver.com