British Isles luggage service

Sunflower & The Scientist

I see that on our next cruise to the British Isles, luggage service is available.  We've only used this once as most every cruise we have taken this was not available.  The service I'm seeing on Viking web site, appears to be different from what we have used.  Before we took our luggage to the airport with us and we did not see it again until we were on board the ship.  On our return we claimed our luggage at our home airport.  This service appears to pick your luggage up 5 days in advance and ships it to your destination.  We loved using the service, but this one sounds more complicated.  Has anyone used this? 

22 minutes ago, Sunflower & The Scientist said:

I see that on our next cruise to the British Isles, luggage service is available.  We've only used this once as most every cruise we have taken this was not available.  The service I'm seeing on Viking web site, appears to be different from what we have used.  Before we took our luggage to the airport with us and we did not see it again until we were on board the ship.  On our return we claimed our luggage at our home airport.  This service appears to pick your luggage up 5 days in advance and ships it to your destination.  We loved using the service, but this one sounds more complicated.  Has anyone used this? 

Assuming you are referring to Luggage Forward, yes.  It is complimentary to World Cruise pax at the beginning of the cruise.  They picked up our luggage about two weeks prior (it was over the holidays) and it was in our stateroom when we boarded.  You can follow it through a link and see where it is.  We liked the service so much that we shipped our luggage home from London on our own dime.  It was great to just have our carry ons, and it arrived home just three days later.  It’s a bit pricy even with Viking’s discount, but I think you will be pleased with it.

The service was free at the beginning but not when we disembarked.  It could be booked onboard before the end of the World Cruise.  Be very sure to read what can't be in the luggage and don't lock the bags.  When picking up the bags, Luggage Forward once came a day early and once a few hours early so be ready.  Pickup was about 12 days prior to the cruise.  They are very customer friendly when called on the phone.

We used luggage forward last summer on our Icelands Majestic Landscape cruise. We sent out large case to Bergen (about $300), since we went to Oslo for a couple days and did not want to deal with luggage on the Oslo to go Bergen train trip. It worked out well.

Thanks to everyone for your replies.  I'm thinking we'll stick with taking our own luggage as it would be over $500 (sale price) for the two of us, and I think having it ready to go so far in advance of us leaving would be a little stressful for us.  We are also doing train pre excursion from Oslo to Bergen.  My assumption is that since we booked that through Viking, they will take care of getting our luggage to and from the train.  Someone please correct me if I am wrong!  

When we did the Oslo-Bergen trip as an extension, Viking trucked the group’s luggage to Bergen.  Had to have it outside our room late the night before.  We took our carryons on the train with us.  Very easy.  That’s been two years ago so it wouldn’t hurt to check with the Tellus team just to be sure.