COMPARISON: NCL Studio Cabins & Studio Lounges

farmersfight

On 11/28/2020 at 3:50 PM, debenson0723 said:

I would love to cruise with @coastcat, @HowardK and @farmersfight

And I'd be happy to join the 4 of you if I had the opportunity.

As noted @farmersfight the roll calls here are a good place to converse with people prior to the cruise.  I believe @debenson0723organized the embarkation-day lunch for the solo/single crowd on our April 2019 Pacific Coastal.  Met some nice people (including Deb!) there and it served as an excellent ice-breaker for that group as well as giving each of us some familiarity with others on board so we could stop and have a chat from time to time if we saw each other.

I've noted it before - the solo meets are also a good place to connect with other solo groups.  I went to the meet on the first day of that cruise, there was a group of people that had sailed on the previous cruise and connected then (they were doing a B2B of a Mexican Riviera and a Pacific Coastal) and the 4 of them were looking to fill out the 6-person reservation they had that night.  I ended up dining with them that night and 2 more, and hung around with a couple of the guys when we got to Vancouver (we docked one day and could tour that day but overnighted and disembarked the following day).

10 minutes ago, hallux said:

As noted @farmersfight the roll calls here are a good place to converse with people prior to the cruise.  I believe @debenson0723organized the embarkation-day lunch for the solo/single crowd on our April 2019 Pacific Coastal.  Met some nice people (including Deb!) there and it served as an excellent ice-breaker for that group as well as giving each of us some familiarity with others on board so we could stop and have a chat from time to time if we saw each other.

I've noted it before - the solo meets are also a good place to connect with other solo groups.  I went to the meet on the first day of that cruise, there was a group of people that had sailed on the previous cruise and connected then (they were doing a B2B of a Mexican Riviera and a Pacific Coastal) and the 4 of them were looking to fill out the 6-person reservation they had that night.  I ended up dining with them that night and 2 more, and hung around with a couple of the guys when we got to Vancouver (we docked one day and could tour that day but overnighted and disembarked the following day).

That'd be great if you joined us @hallux! The more solos, the merrier. I don't want to speak for @debenson0723, but since she already knows you, I'm sure she would have no problem with you joining our group. Heck, I didn't know we even had "a group" (yet), lol.

Thanks for the great advice about joining the CC roll calls and to also attend the solo meet ups once on board. I've never cruised solo before, so this will be new to me. It would be great to befriend other solos on the same cruise. Btw, I'm booked as a solo on 5 cruises for late 2021 and early 2022! I've already joined 4 of the roll calls and I'm about to join the 5th roll call.

Pacific coastal (& Mexican Rivieria) sounds like great cruises. I was trying to coordinate/plan a 7 day Mexican Riviera cruise on the Carnival Panorama out of Long Beach, CA with my 2 sons (ages 20 & 22) but it didn't work out as they will be attending summer classes at their universities (Univ of Arizona & Washington State Univ). Oh well, some day.

Yeah, let's keep "stoking this fire" and get this solo group formed! I'm all in...

Marty (aka @farmersfight).

14 minutes ago, hallux said:

Yup, that was the lunch I organized. And then you and I had breakfast after our sail in under the Golden Gate. That was such a great solo group.  I have just booked the Escape TA, Rome to NYC, for November 2021. A group of about 12 solos that I have done various cruises with. I posted more details on the 2021 cruises thread. Would love to have you join us...it is quite a mix of people from all over the country. Fares are pretty cheap from JFK and you only have to do one way. I booked sail away inside because I am not that interested in perks but a lot are in the studios. Check it out!

51 minutes ago, debenson0723 said:

Would love to have you join us

While I appreciate the offer, you might remember that I'm still younger than you folks and still working.  I'm not sure I can take that kind of time off, and I'd definitely want to spend some time in Italy before boarding the ship.  It looks like a great cruise though, have fun.

I'm more enticed by the Western Caribbean @farmersfight booked on Odyssey OTS in 2022.  Looks like a good solo price, especially for the balcony.

@farmersfight Both of those cruises (Pacific Coastal and Mexican Riviera) were VERY nice even though I had been to SF a couple times before, and I REALLY regret not getting a hotel and seeing more of Vancouver after disembarkation.

Edited by hallux

48 minutes ago, debenson0723 said:

Fares are pretty cheap from JFK

I missed this in my initial reply.  I'm not in NYC, I'd have to get there first.  JFK is a 3+ hour drive and my home airport has limited or zero service to NYC unless I want to go to Newark (I've connected through there before).

33 minutes ago, hallux said:

While I appreciate the offer, you might remember that I'm still younger than you folks and still working.

Hey, I resemble that remark, lol. I'm newly retired but still consider myself a spry 60 year old! Btw, I have chosen cruising as my retirement "activity of choice".

I'm more enticed by the Western Caribbean @farmersfight booked on Odyssey OTS in 2022.  Looks like a good solo price, especially for the balcony.

Actually, my Odyssey OTS cruise is an 8 day Southern Caribbean (Grand Cayman, Aruba & Curacao) out of Port Everglades (Feb 26 - March 6, 2022). I was lucky enough to snag one of those coveted studio balcony cabins, so the price was pretty good since you're not paying a 100% solo supplement for a regular balcony cabin.

Both of those cruises (Pacific Coastal and Mexican Riviera) were VERY nice even though I had been to SF a couple times before

Yeah, Mexican Riviera is on my "bucket list". I think I may have mentioned but I was trying to book a Mexican Riviera cruise on the Carnival Panorama out of Long Beach, CA with my 2 sons (who are both in college). Didn't work out as they both have to attend summer classes. I've been to SF twice, once as a cadet sailing out of there on a U.S. flag freighter, Letitia Lykes and the other time, flew out to SF on a whim for a long 4 day weekend all the way from Virginia when TWA was having a big sale and had dirt cheap fares RT to/from SF (probably TWA's going out of business sale, lol).

Take care.

Marty (aka @farmersfight)

Edited by farmersfight

1 hour ago, farmersfight said:

Actually, my Odyssey OTS cruise is an 8 day Southern Caribbean (Grand Cayman, Aruba & Curacao) out of Port Everglades (Feb 26 - March 6, 2022).

Ah. SOMEONE mentioned a late-April 2022 Western Caribbean on Odyssey, it happens to embark on a day I'd be celebrating something AND there are a few of those coveted studio balcony cabins available yet.  Only issue is that I have $500 in CruiseNext on NCL so I'd almost rather cruise with them.

2 hours ago, hallux said:

While I appreciate the offer, you might remember that I'm still younger than you folks and still working.  I'm not sure I can take that kind of time off, and I'd definitely want to spend some time in Italy before boarding the ship.  It looks like a great cruise though, have fun.

@farmersfight Both of those cruises (Pacific Coastal and Mexican Riviera) were VERY nice even though I had been to SF a couple times before, and I REALLY regret not getting a hotel and seeing more of Vancouver after disembarkation.

HA...I still work full time too. I just have a lot of vacation time (one day shy of 5 weeks) plus 9 paid holidays so I can stretch out my time around them.

I am going to have to check out that Odyssey OTS cruise once I get my laptop back. Been messing with it all day while watching football...found the problem, know how to fix it but it still wont connect. Might be time for a new one...ugh.

13 minutes ago, debenson0723 said:

HA...I still work full time too. I just have a lot of vacation time (one day shy of 5 weeks) plus 9 paid holidays so I can stretch out my time around them.

I get 6 weeks when floating holidays are counted, on top of the standard holidays.  That time off is why it's SO HARD considering changing jobs!  However, getting 2+ weeks in a row off might be a challenge.  I'd almost rather multiple shorter trips like I did in 2019.

8 hours ago, hallux said:

Ah. SOMEONE mentioned a late-April 2022 Western Caribbean on Odyssey, it happens to embark on a day I'd be celebrating something AND there are a few of those coveted studio balcony cabins available yet.  Only issue is that I have $500 in CruiseNext on NCL so I'd almost rather cruise with them.

I don't blame you for preferring to cruise with NCL since you have $500 in CruiseNext with them. I've seen "Cruise Next" here on CC but I'm not quite sure what it is? Is that a certificate you can buy while onboard a cruise for a future cruise? If yes, is there a good discount involved?

You've got plenty of other time available to hop on one of RCL's Quantum-class ships (i.e. Odyssey OTS, which is a Quantum-Ultra class actually) and stay in a studio balcony. Just remember to book early, as these studio balconies go fast (solo cruising seems to "be a thing", eh? I'm glad!).

I feel very fortunate to be booked in studio balconies on 2 Quantum class ships; Anthem OTS (Jan 20-31, 2022) & Odyssey OTS (Feb 26-March 6, 2022). As I think I have commented before, imo, RCL "hit the nail on the head" with these studio balcony cabins. Us solos like balconies too! I know I do...

7 hours ago, debenson0723 said:

I am going to have to check out that Odyssey OTS cruise once I get my laptop back. Been messing with it all day while watching football...found the problem, know how to fix it but it still wont connect. Might be time for a new one...ugh.

Hi Deb,

Yeah, definitely check out one of RCL's Quantum-class ships, in a studio balcony! As I mentioned to @hallux, my Odyssey OTS cruise is actually an 8 day southern caribbean. I used to live in Houston, TX (close to Galveston, now a fairly busy cruise port) so I have done the western caribbean multiple times (been to Cozumel enough times, lol).

Football fan, eh? Way to go! Since you are in Arizona, are you a Cardinals fan? I think I mentioned, my younger son goes to Univ of Arizona in Tucson. He's not having too good of a season with Wildcat football, i.e. their last game was against their in-state rival Arizona State and they lost 70 - 7! I don't think Univ of Arizona has won a single game this season. Poor Colin (my younger son). Guess Univ of Arizona is more renown for NCAA basketball.

Regarding computers, I've just renewed my desk top (to an Acer) and also just bought a new cell phone (which are basically hand-held "computers"). I bought a Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra 5G cell phone, which I love. Funny thing is, my cell phone cost double what my desk top computer did (and I got $300 off).

Take care...

Marty (aka @farmersfight)

2 hours ago, farmersfight said:

I've seen "Cruise Next" here on CC but I'm not quite sure what it is? Is that a certificate you can buy while onboard a cruise for a future cruise? If yes, is there a good discount involved?

CruiseNext (or CND) - rather than running specials during the cruise for booking an actual next cruise as other lines do, NCL runs a deal on the CNDs.  The deal is effectively a BOGO deal, they're $250 each for a standard certificate.  You buy them against your on-board account and then get a $250 OBC added to that account (effectively offsetting the cost of one).  You get 4 years to use them, I bought some on my cruise in April and it took less than 6 months to use them.

NCL usually only allows using one, but there's been a long-running deal where you can double-up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hallux said:

CruiseNext (or CND) - rather than running specials during the cruise for booking an actual next cruise as other lines do, NCL runs a deal on the CNDs.  The deal is effectively a BOGO deal, they're $250 each for a standard certificate.  You buy them against your on-board account and then get a $250 OBC added to that account (effectively offsetting the cost of one).  You get 4 years to use them, I bought some on my cruise in April and it took less than 6 months to use them.

NCL usually only allows using one, but there's been a long-running deal where you can double-up.

Thanks. That would indeed be a deal since the $250 charged against your on-board account is replaced by a $250 OBC. So the value of the CruiseNext certificate holds it's $250 value where it will reduce the cost of your next cruise $250?

Is there a max limit on the # of CruiseNext certificates you can buy on a cruise? Also, if the cruise line is offering another sale (i.e. NCL's 30% off sale) can you still use the CruiseNext certificate and get an additional $250 off? Also, seems like an extra good deal if the cruise lines are letting you double them up.

Sorry for all the Q's. But this is "cold, hard cash" we're talking about, lol. Thanks again...

Edited by farmersfight

2 minutes ago, farmersfight said:

Thanks. That would indeed be a deal since the $250 charged against your on-board account is replaced by a $250 OBC. So the value of the CruiseNext certificate holds it's $250 value where it will reduce the cost of your next cruise $250?

Is there a max limit on the # of CruiseNext certificates you can buy on a cruise? Also, if the cruise line is offering another sale (i.e. NCL's 30% off sale) can you still use the CruiseNext certificate and get an additional $250 off? Also, seems like an extra good deal if the cruise lines are letting you double them up.

Sorry for all the Q's. But this is "cold, hard cash" we're talking about, lol. Thanks again...

Yes to everything. I used 2 to book my TA yestersay, knocking $500 off my crutse...so no deposit OOP. Max you can buy per criuse is $1000, I think. Used to only be balcony and above could use 2 but now any cabin. Cruise must be 5 days or longer.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, debenson0723 said:

Yes to everything. I used 2 to book my TA yestersay, knocking $500 off my crutse...so no deposit OOP. Max you can buy per criuse is $1000, I think. Used to only be balcony and above could use 2 but now any cabin. Cruise must be 5 days or longer.

Thanks Deb. Sounds like a great deal. I'd try to do $1,000 to maximize. Not sure if I could use up $1,000 of OBC at the bars though, but I would give it my best shot, lol.

24 minutes ago, farmersfight said:

That would indeed be a deal since the $250 charged against your on-board account is replaced by a $250 OBC

I should have been clear - you buy TWO at $250 each ($500 bills to your on-board account) then get the $250 credit back to the on-board account to cover the cost of one.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, farmersfight said:

Not sure if I could use up $1,000 of OBC at the bars though, but I would give it my best shot, lol.

You replied as I was replying - the OBC you receive ends up offsetting half the cost of the CND's you buy.  My parents get confused on this also - they prefer Princess which has a similar concept but rather than charging the future deposit against the on-board account and then using the OBC to offset some of the cost it ends up charged directly to the credit card and then they give OBC of some kind.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, hallux said:

I should have been clear - you buy TWO at $250 each ($500 bills to your on-board account) then get the $250 credit back to the on-board account to cover the cost of one.

Oh, o.k. Thanks for further clarifying. Still a good deal where you could apply possibly up to $500 (2 - $250 certs, if the cruise line lets you double them up) toward a future booking and would have still received $250 credit back to the on-board account on the cruise you are currently on. Still $250 free money?

2 minutes ago, farmersfight said:

Still $250 free money?

Effectively, yes.

It should also be noted - if you get the perk for $50 per port excursion credit, that OBC is non-refundable as is any OBC your TA might give you.  Non-refundable OBC can't be used for paying the gratuities so buying CND's is a good way to use that up if you have it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, hallux said:

Effectively, yes.

It should also be noted - if you get the perk for $50 per port excursion credit, that OBC is non-refundable as is any OBC your TA might give you.  Non-refundable OBC can't be used for paying the gratuities so buying CND's is a good way to use that up if you have it.

Another great tip, thanks again. I never thought about the buying CruiseNext certificates when I was on my past cruises but I'll definitely keep the program in mind on my future cruises.

For those who cruise a lot, it's a great deal. Since I am newly retired and cruising will be my retired "activity of choice", it's safe to say that I'll be cruising a lot. I'd be foolish not to take advantage of this program.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, farmersfight said:

Another great tip, thanks again. I never thought about the buying CruiseNext certificates when I was on my past cruises but I'll definitely keep the program in mind on my future cruises.

For those who cruise a lot, it's a great deal. Since I am newly retired and cruising will be my retired "activity of choice", it's safe to say that I'll be cruising a lot. I'd be foolish not to take advantage of this program.

Another thing is that they are completely transferable. So if by chance you don't use them before their 4 year expiration date, you can sell or give them to someone. 

• Thanks 1

• 5 months later...
On 11/24/2020 at 6:11 AM, debenson0723 said:

Glad you asked this question about the bar/bartender...in my experience, I have only seen a bartender once in the lounge and that was on my first Getaway cruise (about 3 months after the ship launched in 2014). It was during the 5 o'clock meeting and he was only there for that 1/2 hour.  The Bliss lounge does not have a bar and I think the space is utilized better without one.  But one thing about the lounges...they have the best coffeemaker on the ship. 

If you'd like, I would be happy to share more experiences/answer questions, especially about solo cruising.  I've been on NCL 12 times, all basically solo and once with my son.  Every experience is different and there are definitely good and not so good times. Take care.

I may need to pick your brain, I'll be going on my 1st solo cruise on NCL & 1st one where I don't have anyone I know going also. I noticed you did the Sky to Cuba - I did that 3 times & loved it more each time! My favorite ship.

1 hour ago, victory2020 said:

I may need to pick your brain, I'll be going on my 1st solo cruise on NCL & 1st one where I don't have anyone I know going also. I noticed you did the Sky to Cuba - I did that 3 times & loved it more each time! My favorite ship.

Be happy to help.  I actually made some great friends on my first solo NCL cruise and just spent a week in Orange Beach AL with 2 of them (along with another friend I met on an NCL Bliss cruise).  I sail solo but am never alone (unless I want to be).  Feel free to email me any questions at this screen name @ gmail.com.

Lucky you going to Cuba 3 times...I managed to squeeze in a trip 10 days before we were shut out again. I loved it!  Hope to do another visit as soon as the ships start sailing there again.

56 minutes ago, debenson0723 said:

Be happy to help.  I actually made some great friends on my first solo NCL cruise and just spent a week in Orange Beach AL with 2 of them (along with another friend I met on an NCL Bliss cruise).  I sail solo but am never alone (unless I want to be).  Feel free to email me any questions at this screen name @ gmail.com.

Lucky you going to Cuba 3 times...I managed to squeeze in a trip 10 days before we were shut out again. I loved it!  Hope to do another visit as soon as the ships start sailing there again.

I will email when I get my brain together enough to put some good questions in writing! I saw that you answered questions about OBC & tips - can travel agent OBC or Shareholders OBC be used for them?