COMPARISON: NCL Studio Cabins & Studio Lounges

farmersfight

Can anyone who gets on a restarted NCL cruise in the next few months, with solo lounge access, let us know if the beverages and snacks are still available there? I know NCL well enough to know they might cut corners by removing stuff like that for our “safety” (even though the cruises will have vaccine requirements and COVID19 isn’t spread, generally, through a shared espresso maker …)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AdoraBelle said:

Can anyone who gets on a restarted NCL cruise in the next few months, with solo lounge access, let us know if the beverages and snacks are still available there? I know NCL well enough to know they might cut corners by removing stuff like that for our “safety” (even though the cruises will have vaccine requirements and COVID19 isn’t spread, generally, through a shared espresso maker …)

You bet I will!

I'll be understanding but annoyed if we don't have our espresso machine available. Hopefully we'll at least have some grab & go pre-wrapped goodies, but it would be inconvenient to lose our coffee & tea (and water and orange juice) setup in the Lounge.

A month after the Bliss cruise I'll be onboard a Princess cruise with their drinks package - which includes specialty coffees (unlike NCL's). I can get a midnight latte from the International Cafe plus goodies beyond the basic cookies and loaf cakes of the Studio Lounge. Makes me wonder why I would opt for a Studio over a Princess interior, which run about the same cost for the newly announced sailings. Hmm.

Also hmm... your last name wouldn't happen to be Dearheart, would it? (I just re-read Pratchett's Going Postal)

Edited by coastcat
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, coastcat said:

I'll be understanding but annoyed if we don't have our espresso machine available. Hopefully we'll at least have some grab & go pre-wrapped goodies, but it would be inconvenient to lose our coffee & tea (and water and orange juice) setup in the Lounge.

Yes--I love this part of the solo lounge. Particularly the ability to keep my water bottle full all the time without having to venture to the buffet. (The chocolate cookies, however, are usually a temptation.) 

6 hours ago, coastcat said:

Also hmm... your last name wouldn't happen to be Dearheart, would it? (I just re-read Pratchett's Going Postal)

That would be the one. 🙂 RIP Sir Terry.

• Like 1

On 5/26/2021 at 5:56 AM, AdoraBelle said:

Yes--I love this part of the solo lounge. Particularly the ability to keep my water bottle full all the time without having to venture to the buffet. (The chocolate cookies, however, are usually a temptation.) 

That would be the one. 🙂 RIP Sir Terry.

I have copies of SnuffRaising Steam, and The Shepherd’s Crown but can’t quite bring myself to read them yet, knowing there will be no more. 

Based on the latest CDC documents, it seems likely that we will have the usual Studio Lounge food & drink. Even self-serve buffets are allowed on fully vaccinated cruises. I expect the regular food buffet to be staff-served but maybe not beverage stations? 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, coastcat said:

I have copies of SnuffRaising Steam, and The Shepherd’s Crown but can’t quite bring myself to read them yet, knowing there will be no more. 

I don’t know if I’ll ever be able to read Shepherd’s Crown. 😞 (Re-listening to Night Watch on audiobook this week though.)

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
I’m planing a trip from New York on NCL 12 days to Southern Caribbean & am trying one of there studio staterooms, 100 sq ft. I’ve enclosed a photo so you can see what a room might look like & apparently with each ship the room might look different so I won’t know anything until I arrive. I’ll be on the NCL Getaway.
They also have a lounge just for the solo cruisers. I’m hoping I won’t be claustrophobic as I’ve never been in a stateroom this small. Only one electrical plug in the room with your sink in the room, another small room with your toilet plus a shower. Only shelves to store things plus a small closet. I understand that any suitcase goes under the bed.
There is airfare from San Francisco for $175 but NCL makes the air arrangements so you’re stuck with whatever they arrange. I’ve learned that you can ask for air deviation for $25 & arrive one day earlier. My agent inquired about arriving 3 days early & they were told you would have to accept their hotel arrangements at a cost of over $1,000 for 3 nights & we both said WOW.
I‘m considering making my own air arrangements so I can pick what I want.
One perk is that I will get a generous reduction on shore excursions. I’ve enclosed one tour so you can see the reduction in the cost.
I’ve done a lot of cruises with Princess & am use to getting OBC Veteran's & stock credit from Carnival Corporation so this will de different not having any of those perks.
I’m aware I’m taking a leap with a new cruise line & stateroom.
I’m posting this so you can see what’s involved & what I’m deciding.
If you been on NCL in a stuio stateroom & possibly on the Getaway please post what you thought & any photos that you might have or any suggestions you have. I’ll be in studio stateroom #10541.
I’m blessed with YouTube where I’ve been able to see things in advance.
As I have more details I’ll post what I have & would invite you to journey along with me.

Tom😀

FDC6E9EF-89C5-45C0-907A-45278E5D5E26.jpeg

4FB8F80A-2CEF-47B7-AACE-DA5DDBB0E9C6.jpeg

0C852253-11D3-4277-89A4-CCE09799B729.jpeg

Edited by trbarton

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/25/2021 at 9:52 PM, AdoraBelle said:

I sailed in September on the Breakaway and snacks and beverages were readily available.

On 4/7/2022 at 9:29 PM, trbarton said:
I’m planing a trip from New York on NCL 12 days to Southern Caribbean & am trying one of there studio staterooms, 100 sq ft. I’ve enclosed a photo so you can see what a room might look like & apparently with each ship the room might look different so I won’t know anything until I arrive. I’ll be on the NCL Getaway.
They also have a lounge just for the solo cruisers. I’m hoping I won’t be claustrophobic as I’ve never been in a stateroom this small. Only one electrical plug in the room with your sink in the room, another small room with your toilet plus a shower. Only shelves to store things plus a small closet. I understand that any suitcase goes under the bed.
There is airfare from San Francisco for $175 but NCL makes the air arrangements so you’re stuck with whatever they arrange. I’ve learned that you can ask for air deviation for $25 & arrive one day earlier. My agent inquired about arriving 3 days early & they were told you would have to accept their hotel arrangements at a cost of over $1,000 for 3 nights & we both said WOW.
I‘m considering making my own air arrangements so I can pick what I want.
One perk is that I will get a generous reduction on shore excursions. I’ve enclosed one tour so you can see the reduction in the cost.
I’ve done a lot of cruises with Princess & am use to getting OBC Veteran's & stock credit from Carnival Corporation so this will de different not having any of those perks.
I’m aware I’m taking a leap with a new cruise line & stateroom.
I’m posting this so you can see what’s involved & what I’m deciding.
If you been on NCL in a stuio stateroom & possibly on the Getaway please post what you thought & any photos that you might have or any suggestions you have. I’ll be in studio stateroom #10541.
I’m blessed with YouTube where I’ve been able to see things in advance.
As I have more details I’ll post what I have & would invite you to journey along with me.

Tom😀

FDC6E9EF-89C5-45C0-907A-45278E5D5E26.jpeg

4FB8F80A-2CEF-47B7-AACE-DA5DDBB0E9C6.jpeg

0C852253-11D3-4277-89A4-CCE09799B729.jpeg

The lid on the stool underneath the table comes off for additional storage. That's where I kept my shoes. I didn't realize there were no drawers but luckily I had packed using packing cubes. So I was able to just put a cube or 2 on each shelf. I had no issues with the room. While small, it was fine for just 1 person IMO. And I did hang out in my room sometimes just to chill. Meaning I was in there more often that just to sleep and shower lol.

Thanks for everyone’s comments. I’ve looked at a number of videos on YouTube, when I was considering this studio stateroom, so I’ve had a good chance to see what to expect. Yes I’ve seen the lid be opened on the stool. 

Watching the videos made me aware of what to expect so I wouldn’t be suprised.

Since there is a closet besides, putting your suitcase under the bed, I’m thinking it could also lay flat if the bottom of the closet. 

On all of my cruises I bring magnetic hooks & clips to hang things on the walls which is great to hang things & clip papers that I have. 

I’ve not seen a lot of photos on CC showing what the stateroom & lounge looks like so I plan to take  plenty of photos to show people. 

Does tha cabin steward leave a copy of the daily schedule in your stateroom or do you have to go down to the desk to get one?  Cruising on Princess the steward will leave one if you ask. 

Thanks again!

Tom😀

Edited by trbarton

1 hour ago, trbarton said:

Does tha cabin steward leave a copy of the daily schedule in your stateroom or do you have to go down to the desk to get one?

On the Joy in March they were delivered to the room.

On 4/25/2022 at 9:50 AM, trbarton said:

Thanks for everyone’s comments. I’ve looked at a number of videos on YouTube, when I was considering this studio stateroom, so I’ve had a good chance to see what to expect. Yes I’ve seen the lid be opened on the stool. 

Watching the videos made me aware of what to expect so I wouldn’t be suprised.

Since there is a closet besides, putting your suitcase under the bed, I’m thinking it could also lay flat if the bottom of the closet. 

On all of my cruises I bring magnetic hooks & clips to hang things on the walls which is great to hang things & clip papers that I have. 

I’ve not seen a lot of photos on CC showing what the stateroom & lounge looks like so I plan to take  plenty of photos to show people. 

Does tha cabin steward leave a copy of the daily schedule in your stateroom or do you have to go down to the desk to get one?  Cruising on Princess the steward will leave one if you ask. 

Thanks again!

Tom😀

Been in Studios on several ships and a few times on the Getaway (my first NCL cruise out of now about a dozen). There are actually 2 closets, one on either side of the desk/TV area but neither are large enough for the suitcase to lie down.  It is fine under the bed (and I pull it out to store my dirty clothes then push it back under).  There also used to be two large baskets under the bed, one holding your life jacket and the 2nd one empty, which I used to store t-shirts and shorts.  I also pack one of those foldable drawers from the dollar store (packs flat in my suitcase) that I put on a closet shelf for underwear and other lose items. I am an over packer and have plenty of room in the studio cabin for all of my clothes. 

And there is more than one outlet in the room.  There are at least 2 in the shelves between the sink and shower (one is a European outlet so I always bring a converter) and one or two more in the desk/TV area.  Again, no issue with outlets for charging my electronics.

As @halluxmentioned, dailies are left in the room each night and service is no different in the studio cabins than it would be if you were in an inside or balcony. 

1 hour ago, debenson0723 said:

Been in Studios on several ships and a few times on the Getaway (my first NCL cruise out of now about a dozen). There are actually 2 closets, one on either side of the desk/TV area but neither are large enough for the suitcase to lie down.  It is fine under the bed (and I pull it out to store my dirty clothes then push it back under).  There also used to be two large baskets under the bed, one holding your life jacket and the 2nd one empty, which I used to store t-shirts and shorts.  I also pack one of those foldable drawers from the dollar store (packs flat in my suitcase) that I put on a closet shelf for underwear and other lose items. I am an over packer and have plenty of room in the studio cabin for all of my clothes. 

And there is more than one outlet in the room.  There are at least 2 in the shelves between the sink and shower (one is a European outlet so I always bring a converter) and one or two more in the desk/TV area.  Again, no issue with outlets for charging my electronics.

As @halluxmentioned, dailies are left in the room each night and service is no different in the studio cabins than it would be if you were in an inside or balcony. 

Thanks for your information. I have everything in a packing cubes so it’s easy to find things. I had also heard about putting the suitcase under the bed. I also have a small carry on that might fit on one of the shelves that has my electronics & some medicine that will go on the floor of one of the closets or on one  of the shelves. 

I also bring one of the converters & I’ve seen a video with the plugs in the shelves plus I have a IPad that I use with a  clock app so I always know the time. I leave the TV on with the bridge camera on so I know when it’s day or night. I also have a small clock so I always know the time. 

I’m wanting to see of my magnetic hooks & clips will work & give me a place to hang some things. 

Thanks again for taking the time to write to me. I’ve traveled a lot on Princess, 29 cruises 🚢, so I’m looking forward to this going in a studio stateroom, something different than I’m used to. 

Tom😀